Old 10-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Steve, you missed a good one. Your knowledge is much appreciated
Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hmmm...

for onroad racing (and offroad i suppose, stock 17.5 and super stock 13.5) will the RMF Super Sport Crawler (which i cannot find the manual for anymore though i have seen it on the novak site before) be "as fast" as the current competition (including the GTB)? Just wondering cuz the RMF super sport is an awesome deal if the specs on it are somewhat close to the performance of current stuff. I current have a GTB/17.5 setup in my Cyclone and an XBR and (soon) a 17.5 in my 2wd buggy. Looking for a cheap alternative to get my RCGT car "updated" but stay competitive as it is kind of a spec class.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nunga
Hi Steve,

Can you help please.

I have the novak GTB brushless system with the 13.5 motor. I ran one race meet with no dramas, Now, it’s the second meet, and today didn’t even get started. The motor won’t start unless pushed. It seems to have a dead spot. Rotate the motor 60 deg it will start no worries and 120 deg same. Back to original position and no go. When it will go, it stutters, like a car with one cylinder out, rough. This is my first novak product and its not off to a good start.
Thanks.
I'm not Steve, but I once had almost the exact same problem...

In my case, I found that one of the three power wires to the motor had come off, creating the dead spot. Once the wire was soldered back on, everything was fine. Sounds too simple, but it took me a while to notice the loose wire -- I was so used to brushed motors where the motor wouldn't run at all with a wire loose that it never occurred to me to check... Taka quick look -- couldn't hurt...
Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Steve-

I heard you tried the mongoose in 1/12th at Vegas. Any comments? Also what do you think about the Mongoose in 1/12th with a 13.5 and a single voltage Lipo? thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is the clear "mounting tape" Novak includes with the speed controls better in any way than regular servo tape?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

When will the Havoc ESC be available & what will the approximate "street price" be (just the ESC)?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Everyone!

Sorry about the delays in getting back to you all... been kind of hectic around here lately!

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
Hmmm...

for onroad racing (and offroad i suppose, stock 17.5 and super stock 13.5) will the RMF Super Sport Crawler (which i cannot find the manual for anymore though i have seen it on the novak site before) be "as fast" as the current competition (including the GTB)? Just wondering cuz the RMF super sport is an awesome deal if the specs on it are somewhat close to the performance of current stuff. I current have a GTB/17.5 setup in my Cyclone and an XBR and (soon) a 17.5 in my 2wd buggy. Looking for a cheap alternative to get my RCGT car "updated" but stay competitive as it is kind of a spec class.
Syber,

The GTB is going to be faster than the Super Sport and the XBR/Havoc ESCs... The super sport crawler ESC is going to be the slowest of the bunch... it should "work"... but if you're looking for performance I'd look into going with the havoc or preferably a GTB!

Originally Posted by cookie1
Steve-

I heard you tried the mongoose in 1/12th at Vegas. Any comments? Also what do you think about the Mongoose in 1/12th with a 13.5 and a single voltage Lipo? thanks
I didn't personally run the mongoose in a 1/12... we had a few customers try some stuff we modified... Charlie worked a little closer with them than I did however... I will speak with him when he arrives this morning and get back on what he thought about it. If you're running a slow motor like 17.5 or 13.5 I don't see there being any major problems... but performance is always going to be better with a GTB.

Originally Posted by stitchy
Is the clear "mounting tape" Novak includes with the speed controls better in any way than regular servo tape?
Stitchy,

Well, the clear tape that we use now is good in 2 regards: It holds very well and it's VERY easy to remove/clean up! Alot of other servo tapes you need to spend alot of time spraying/scraping to get off...but this new tape peels right off in one peice!

Originally Posted by slakr
When will the Havoc ESC be available & what will the approximate "street price" be (just the ESC)?

Slakr,

I believe we are starting to ship the Havoc combos out to distributors as we speak! As of now I don't think there are plans to release the ESC by itself... but that could change. As such I don't have a price on just the ESC... I know the "street price" of the combo is supposed to be around $140

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Novak GTB w/ 13.5 Set-up

Dear Steve:
I have a Novak GTB w/ a 13.5 B/L motor. Currently running at BCR at Orange, California sometimes. Can you please advise, your recommended DRAG BRAKE SETTING for this combination, if running at BCR??? I'm a driver that likes to use drag brake to slow down for turns.

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HACHIROKU13BT
Dear Steve:
I have a Novak GTB w/ a 13.5 B/L motor. Currently running at BCR at Orange, California sometimes. Can you please advise, your recommended DRAG BRAKE SETTING for this combination, if running at BCR??? I'm a driver that likes to use drag brake to slow down for turns.

Thank you.
I know I'm not steve. But I run a gtb/13.5 (13.5 has sintered rotor) setup at bcr in my 415. I'm a big fan of drag break as well as it suits my brushed driving style. I typically go back and forth between the 3rd and 6th setting. If the track is more technical i tend to use more dbrake. If it means anything I'm typically geared at like 4.3 or so.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
The Evicerator

Generally speaking drag brake setting is a personal preference. If you have not run your car yet, the GTB comes pre-set to setting 4. If this is not enough, then as some people mentioned, you can use a higher setting. Each setting is a small amount, so you might need to bump up 2 or 3 settings at a time to feel a big difference.

Originally Posted by HACHIROKU13BT
Dear Steve:

Thank you.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Dear Steve:
Thank you very much for your easy to understand help.

Thank you
Hachi
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve, I originally wrote:

Why is it that the GTB only handles 8.5T brushless motors from other manufacturers, yet any Novak motor?
Are the motors radically different?

You wrote:

The other motors shouldn't really be radically different... it's just that most of the other motor manufacturers don't use a thermistor in their motor making the temperature sensing inoperable... motors faster than 8.5 turns have a tendancy to pull alot of current and the potential to heat up quite a bit.

Steve,

Does this mean my speedo is at risk of damage, or just the motor, or both.
I ask because the feigao (bad spelling) relabled motors look like exceptional value for money.

At present I run a GTX, but as I like Novak am hopefully planning on a GTB.

Kevin
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 AM
The Evicerator

Kevin,

Generally we would be concerned that the motor itself would suffer overheating... and if the motor overheats and fails, there is a chance it can take the ESC with it. So it is indirectly to try to protect our product from the failings of other people's products.

Originally Posted by kavadni
Steve, I originally wrote:

Why is it that the GTB only handles 8.5T brushless motors from other manufacturers, yet any Novak motor?
Are the motors radically different?

You wrote:

The other motors shouldn't really be radically different... it's just that most of the other motor manufacturers don't use a thermistor in their motor making the temperature sensing inoperable... motors faster than 8.5 turns have a tendancy to pull alot of current and the potential to heat up quite a bit.

Steve,

Does this mean my speedo is at risk of damage, or just the motor, or both.
I ask because the feigao (bad spelling) relabled motors look like exceptional value for money.

At present I run a GTX, but as I like Novak am hopefully planning on a GTB.

Kevin
Old 10-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Steve what is the height of the GTB/Slyder with the fan and without?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Hey Steve,

Trying to get my gear all set for our first race of the '08-09 carpet season next weekend and was trying to get settings dialed in on my esc's. One of my GTB's (Spread Spectrum spec 4-cell GTB) seems to have the green LED burned out. When I connect to power and power up holding the "one touch" button down to enter the one-touch mode the red LED will come on after a couple seconds as expected. Pulling the trigger back nothing happens (green LED does not light) no matter how long I wait. If I go through the whole one-touch process waiting a couple seconds at each trigger position it seems to match the esc with my Tx. When I release the trigger to neutral the red LED comes on steady right away, then after a brief pause the amber and blue LED's light as well.

Any suggestions? The unit seems to work fine, just no green LED. Patience seems to make it possible to do "one-touch" but I won't be able to receive error codes without it and I don't think I'll be able to select drive frequency edits. Is it possible to just replace or repair the LED or do I need a whole non-warranty exchange?

Reasonably handy with tools and irons if I know what I'm looking for or can be guided.

Many thanks (as always),

Scottrik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.