Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Double chocolate chocolate chip cookies or regular chocolate chip cookies?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
The Evicerator

Double Chocolate Chip!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Double Chocolate Chip!
couldnt agree more.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

cookies

those are my cookies!!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Steve,
Hope your day is a blessed one.
Hope to back out racing soon,
-Shookie <><
Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
The Evicerator

Thanks shookie!

Same to you!

I hope you're feeling better and to see you again soon!

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Hey Steve,
Hope your day is a blessed one.
Hope to back out racing soon,
-Shookie <><
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Questions?? TOOOOO much Technology for an old fart !!!!!

I recently upgraded my Futaba radio to the FASST system. We are presently between our winter indoor season and asphalt outdoor season so I havent used it yet.

(1) I presently have a 4cell GTB for 1/12 scale and also just got a spread spectrum 4cell GTB. Will I need to run a receiver pack with 4cell because of the voltage. All the 1/12 racing will be done indoor on carpet. I guess thats actually a guestion for Futaba.

(2) I have 2 older GTBS for 6 cell 1/10 pancar and 6cell touring and an original 5800SS. I have read posts where GTB's have gone up in smoke when the ESC is turned off, but the battery is still plugged in, and the front wheels are turned. I have vehicles, some with digital and some with analog servos. What do I need to do or buy to avoid the "SMOKING GTB" sydrome. I am using NIMH batteries now, but the LIPOS are probably just around the corner.

Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Or is time for me to sell everything and buy something from Radio Shack and build a track behind the seniors home!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Regional Moderator

I use a Spread Spectrum GTB 4 cell, with both 17.5 and 13.5 motors, and no Rx pack, without issues. This is with a Spektrum micro receiver.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM
The Evicerator

Big Bull,

1.) Most of the time guys get away without running receiver packs...but certain radio systems seem to be more sensitive to low voltage operation than others.

2.) Send us a self-addressed and stamped envelope with a note requesting some of the Servo Protection Harnesses. Please note how many you need and which length (4" or 9") you require.

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL
I recently upgraded my Futaba radio to the FASST system. We are presently between our winter indoor season and asphalt outdoor season so I havent used it yet.

(1) I presently have a 4cell GTB for 1/12 scale and also just got a spread spectrum 4cell GTB. Will I need to run a receiver pack with 4cell because of the voltage. All the 1/12 racing will be done indoor on carpet. I guess thats actually a guestion for Futaba.

(2) I have 2 older GTBS for 6 cell 1/10 pancar and 6cell touring and an original 5800SS. I have read posts where GTB's have gone up in smoke when the ESC is turned off, but the battery is still plugged in, and the front wheels are turned. I have vehicles, some with digital and some with analog servos. What do I need to do or buy to avoid the "SMOKING GTB" sydrome. I am using NIMH batteries now, but the LIPOS are probably just around the corner.

Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Or is time for me to sell everything and buy something from Radio Shack and build a track behind the seniors home!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Big Bull,

2.) Send us a self-addressed and stamped envelope with a note requesting some of the Servo Protection Harnesses. Please note how many you need and which length (4" or 9") you require.
Steve,
Is there a specific batch or range of serial #'s affected by this issue?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
The Evicerator

vagi,

Everything at this point is susceptible to this damage.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

2.) Send us a self-addressed and stamped envelope with a note requesting some of the Servo Protection Harnesses. ...
When the ESC is switched off I thought the BEC regulator power was turned off as well, so the steering servo should not care that is is off-center. So I don't understand the source of the problem that these harnesses solve.

My next question would be, how do the harnesses solve the problem and why are they a (free) add-on rather than being standard? Is there a downside to using one?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
The Evicerator

Mark,

Every servo has a motor inside of it, and if the servo is moved the motor then inadvertantly acts like a generator... if the servo is moved enough, the voltage can be high enough to travel back through the servo lead, through the receiver and into the ESC. This stray voltage can cause the gates to the transistors to turn on... without the "brain" of the ESC being on to control what happens. If there is a battery connected the transistors can turn on and have enough power to short out to one another.

These harnesses have a diode built inline to the red "power" wire of the ESC. The function of a diode is to allow electricity to flow one way, but not the other... effectively like a one way valve.

This diode is positioned so that when the ESC is on, the BEC can properly power your receiver, and servo. Regardless of whether the servo is on or off however, power will not be able to "go backward" into the ESC potentially causing damage.

There is a very small voltage drop associated with a diode, bringing the BEC output voltage down slightly from 6.0/6.1V to 5.9 or 5.8 V.

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
When the ESC is switched off I thought the BEC regulator power was turned off as well, so the steering servo should not care that is is off-center. So I don't understand the source of the problem that these harnesses solve.

My next question would be, how do the harnesses solve the problem and why are they a (free) add-on rather than being standard? Is there a downside to using one?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up Re...Smoke show

Thanks, Steve for the almost instantanious answer, I will send a letter tomorrow. I guess the way to see if I need a receiver pack or not is to try it with out one "EH".

BE
TJ
Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I just wanted to publicly call out Novak and particularly Steve Weiss after my latest dealings with them. Due to some unfortunate racing luck, I had the sensor wires in my 10.5 motor cut as well as a bearing that failed in my 13.5 motor. I contacted Steve, sent out my stuff for repair this past Monday and had everything back in my hands this past Thursday. A three day turnaround, door to door. I'd like to thank Steve and Novak for their continuing outstanding service and for setting the standard of how to treat customers in this industry.

Eric Dimmick
Darkside Motorsports

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.