Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM
The Evicerator

Thugs,

Thanks for the kudos!

In my previous post I meant that you will have a better mechanical advantage between the spur and pinion gear ... IE:

If your spur pinion ratio with the larger tires is 4:1 but with the smaller tires the ratio is only 3:1 the motor might have an easier time of "spooling up" with the easier 4:1 ratio than the 3:1 ratio...even if the overall rollouts are the same when the tire size is factored in.

Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny
Steve,
First off I think I forgot to mention in my first post that YOU ARE THE MAN for coming in here and answering like EVERY post. Seriously dude you rock! Thanks. As to my first post I didn't quite understand your answer. Are you saying that I have a better mechanical advantage turning larger tires with the exact same rollout? I'm not the only one to notice this, at our track any way. We see it in the way we drive as well. If we try to roll corners and carry speed the car comes out sluggish and takes longer to wind out than if we drive point and shoot. Like I said it's really weird and completely contrary to what we know of brushed and quite frankly physics.

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 AM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Steve,

I've just run with my smart stop for the first time and had a few problems. In my first final when the siren went the car just crawled off the line and then just glitched off the track. It also seemed to have problems around big bankings and at sharp hairpin bends.

It seemed Ok in the heats so I changed crystals, checked motor caps and the power cap on my esc which were fine. I still had the same problem. Funnily I didn't seem to notice the problem in the heats.

In the last final I disconnected the smart-stop and the car worked perfectly.

Could it be that when I mash the throttle, I'm getting a big voltage drop across the receiver, causing the smart stop to cut in? I've never had this problem pre smart-stop with the same electrics.

In any case what can I do?

Here are my electric:
- 19t Blue Atlas motor
- 4900 Trakpower lipo
- Twister 2.2 ESC
- Airtronics rx-311 receiver
- Novak Smart-stop
- geared at 4.8 (Big track!)

Hope you can help,
Jason
Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

steve,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYD8&P=7
I saw an hv-pro combo listed on tower. Is that going to be a new version of the hv esc or just an updated motor with the old hv esc? Also do you have an eta on this or the 7.5 turn 550 brushless motor?

thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM
The Evicerator

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Can you clarify this glitching you are having?

Is it a throttle stutter, or is your steering/throttle behaving erratically?

If it is simply a stutter like I imagine that it could be (and honestly the only reported "glitch" type problem I've seen reported with smart stops) a number of things:

First, check to make sure your battery pack is fully charged... the smart stop is designed to "blip" the neutral if the battery pack voltage drops below a certain point to warn you that the pack is getting closer to being fully discharged. This will exhibit itself moreso when accellerating hard out of tight corners or on bankings like you mentioned.

Second, make sure that the ESC/power cap are in working order... if you are not running a power cap, install one! It will help keep the average voltage of the system higher so that these stutters are less frequent.

Third, it's possible that your smart stop may be malfunctioning somehow... if you do some of this other troubleshooting and the problem still persists then I would consider sending the smart stop in to us for evaluation.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by JL
Hi Steve,

I've just run with my smart stop for the first time and had a few problems. In my first final when the siren went the car just crawled off the line and then just glitched off the track. It also seemed to have problems around big bankings and at sharp hairpin bends.

It seemed Ok in the heats so I changed crystals, checked motor caps and the power cap on my esc which were fine. I still had the same problem. Funnily I didn't seem to notice the problem in the heats.

In the last final I disconnected the smart-stop and the car worked perfectly.

Could it be that when I mash the throttle, I'm getting a big voltage drop across the receiver, causing the smart stop to cut in? I've never had this problem pre smart-stop with the same electrics.

In any case what can I do?

Here are my electric:
- 19t Blue Atlas motor
- 4900 Trakpower lipo
- Twister 2.2 ESC
- Airtronics rx-311 receiver
- Novak Smart-stop
- geared at 4.8 (Big track!)

Hope you can help,
Jason
Tschenck,

We are making some running changes on the HV Maxx ESC and motor. The motor is getting a beefier 5 mm output shaft to help it handle higher loads without fear of damage occuring to the shaft.

The ESC has updated software very similar to that of the GTB, so that your drive/brake parameters can be fine tuned to your liking.

Originally Posted by tschenck
steve,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYD8&P=7
I saw an hv-pro combo listed on tower. Is that going to be a new version of the hv esc or just an updated motor with the old hv esc? Also do you have an eta on this or the 7.5 turn 550 brushless motor?

thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey Steve
I have a Reman GTB and I switch it to brush mode and then I tried to set the throttle position going throw the proper steps. when my remote in in neutral the motor is running and when I give it throttle the motor surges.
but if I go back and reset the speed control and program it to brush mode and don't try to set the throttle position it works fin. what do you think the deal is?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 AM
The Evicerator

Metal,

Anytime you preform the one touch setup, it returns the ESC back to default settings which means Brushless mode.

You should not need to re-do the one touch setup everytime you make a change to your ESC.

Do the one touch setup to setup your ESC initially, then do the brushed mode setup, and you should be good to go!

Originally Posted by metalracer2
hey Steve
I have a Reman GTB and I switch it to brush mode and then I tried to set the throttle position going throw the proper steps. when my remote in in neutral the motor is running and when I give it throttle the motor surges.
but if I go back and reset the speed control and program it to brush mode and don't try to set the throttle position it works fin. what do you think the deal is?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Hi Jason,

Tschenck,

We are making some running changes on the HV Maxx ESC and motor. The motor is getting a beefier 5 mm output shaft to help it handle higher loads without fear of damage occuring to the shaft.

The ESC has updated software very similar to that of the GTB, so that your drive/brake parameters can be fine tuned to your liking.

Will it have a lipo cut off built in then? Also are you still planning on releasing a higher voltage esc? Last I heard from Novaktwo, novak was planning on making a 6s esc. Any eta on that? thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

ok cool thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 AM
JL
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Can you clarify this glitching you are having?

Is it a throttle stutter, or is your steering/throttle behaving erratically?

If it is simply a stutter like I imagine that it could be (and honestly the only reported "glitch" type problem I've seen reported with smart stops) a number of things:

First, check to make sure your battery pack is fully charged... the smart stop is designed to "blip" the neutral if the battery pack voltage drops below a certain point to warn you that the pack is getting closer to being fully discharged. This will exhibit itself moreso when accellerating hard out of tight corners or on bankings like you mentioned.

Second, make sure that the ESC/power cap are in working order... if you are not running a power cap, install one! It will help keep the average voltage of the system higher so that these stutters are less frequent.

Third, it's possible that your smart stop may be malfunctioning somehow... if you do some of this other troubleshooting and the problem still persists then I would consider sending the smart stop in to us for evaluation.

Hope this helps!
Hi Steve,

I did check that my pack was fully charged and it wasn't the throttle stutter that I had. It was steering as well as throttle. I'll check the power cap on my ESC and I might try one the the spektrum type cap on my receiver too.

Thanks for your help,
Jason
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
The Evicerator

No, this revision will not have the lipo cut off built in... we will continue to ship the 4S Smart Stop with the ESC though.

We are always working on something new around here...unfortunately I don't really have an ETA or many details on it except that we've tried to listen to what people have asked for and wrap it all up into one big esc

Will it have a lipo cut off built in then? Also are you still planning on releasing a higher voltage esc? Last I heard from Novaktwo, novak was planning on making a 6s esc. Any eta on that? thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

No, this revision will not have the lipo cut off built in... we will continue to ship the 4S Smart Stop with the ESC though.

We are always working on something new around here...unfortunately I don't really have an ETA or many details on it except that we've tried to listen to what people have asked for and wrap it all up into one big esc
but we want small ESCs....

Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

thanks for the info. you lost me with the no built in cutoff(wont buy an esc that needs an external) but I am still interested in the 7.5 motor. hope you have new info on the upcoming esc soon, I would love to have a sensored hv system in my 8th scale.

Last edited by tschenck; 04-24-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Steeve what is the maximum voltage for the GTB? I know it list 6-cell as the limit, but batteries have higher volts than 1.2per cell.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 PM
The Evicerator

The HV Maxx ESC does not have a built in Lipo Cut off IN the ESC. We give you a 4 cell smart stop in the package though.

The 7.5 turn HV motors should be coming along pretty quickly I think... in the next month or so ...?

thanks for the info. you lost me with the no built in cutoff but I am still interested in the 7.5 motor. hope you have new info on the upcoming esc soon, I would love to have a sensored hv system in my 8th scale.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
The Evicerator

I would say the most I have seen out of the latest Lipo or NiMH cells was around 8.6 V...so I wouldn't stray higher than that.

Originally Posted by trailranger
Steeve what is the maximum voltage for the GTB? I know it list 6-cell as the limit, but batteries have higher volts than 1.2per cell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.