Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM
The Evicerator

Dan,

There are instances when being significantly undergeared can cause damage to a motor.

Most of the time I would say this would occur with the 3.5 and 4.5 turn motors where if geared too low, can put tremendous strain on the rotor causing eventual rotor failure.

Also, too low of a gearing with this low wind motors can also cause high heat just as overgearing can ... a sign that you might be undergeared is if your esc is cool and the motor is hot... generally in most applications if gearing is correct ESC and motor temps are relatively close.

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Hi Steve,

Can you damage a brushless motor by undergearing it?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what would the best geearing for a 13.5 be? Would you make any timing adjustments?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Ray,

I would say mid 4's to start out with and go from there.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks a ton. You are the man.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

TEAM STEVE!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
TEAM STEVE!

One could only be so special.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
The Evicerator

Ray, I think you've earned the right to be a member of TEAM STEVE

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING
One could only be so special.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Eagle Racing makes a rotor fan and endbell kit for the Novak motors. I had an order coming in from RCMarket, so I decided to pick one up. I'm not using the fan, but the new endbell felt much lighter, and has some cool looking machining on the front, as well as some vents cut into the side (not shown). I don't know if/how it will help with cooling, but it looks pretty great on the motor.

Comparing this endbell to the other "ribbed" one from Novak, it appears to be entirely machined by them, and not a modifed Novak version. It comes with a bearing as well. Impressive work for sure. Not sure if you guys knew about it or not. I guess you've officially been "hopped up."

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=2709 (there's a version for the 13mm rotor too)
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Wow!!!! For real? That's the best news that I've had since Patrick told me that I would be faster than him some day.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok this sounds dumb but just out of couriosity will a gtb still work if a few of the fets are melted but not too bad?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
The Evicerator

Well, it might function but it will probably run poorly. It might run rough, slow top end, or have trouble starting from a stop.

Originally Posted by Branden Moody
Ok this sounds dumb but just out of couriosity will a gtb still work if a few of the fets are melted but not too bad?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation WHAT HAPPENDED?

Steve,
I have a question, I'm not sure if it is a brushless issue of a Lipo issue but I thought I'd ask just in case you have heard this happen.
While me and my son were running the GTB with the 10.5 motor with the Orion Lipo the negative wire soldered to the bullet connector to the battery literally melted the solder and the wire disconnected.
My son running the same combo with a different car had the same thing happen but on the positive wire, again the solder melted and came completely out of the bullet connector. Both times nothing on the chassis was close to touching the wire connector. No damage or short or overheating anywhere on the electronics. The motor was 110 F. as was the ESC. I resoldered the wire back to the bullet connector and everything was fine. I don't know if this is a battery or a brushless issue, but if you have any ideas what would cause this. The wires are the ones that came with the Novak system and the solder is Radio Shack brand which I have been using for years with no problems in the past.
Not really related but I remember when low turn brushed motors were having wires coming unsolder because of heat or too many amps flowing through a a small gage wire. This is not the case with my cars but I don't know if there is some commonality there or not?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
The Evicerator

Maxepower,

Brushless systems are capable of pulling lots of current and it just sounds like to me for whatever reason that joint that you have -- lipo bullet connector, wire bullet connector, and solder joint -- is having a hard time handling the current and is heating up.

Do you have access to different solder? How is the solder joint itself...? A picture is worth a thousand words... If you want maybe you can bring it by the shop or to me at the track one day and I can check it out and maybe re-solder it for you...?

Originally Posted by maxepower
Steve,
I have a question, I'm not sure if it is a brushless issue of a Lipo issue but I thought I'd ask just in case you have heard this happen.
While me and my son were running the GTB with the 10.5 motor with the Orion Lipo the negative wire soldered to the bullet connector to the battery literally melted the solder and the wire disconnected.
My son running the same combo with a different car had the same thing happen but on the positive wire, again the solder melted and came completely out of the bullet connector. Both times nothing on the chassis was close to touching the wire connector. No damage or short or overheating anywhere on the electronics. The motor was 110 F. as was the ESC. I resoldered the wire back to the bullet connector and everything was fine. I don't know if this is a battery or a brushless issue, but if you have any ideas what would cause this. The wires are the ones that came with the Novak system and the solder is Radio Shack brand which I have been using for years with no problems in the past.
Not really related but I remember when low turn brushed motors were having wires coming unsolder because of heat or too many amps flowing through a a small gage wire. This is not the case with my cars but I don't know if there is some commonality there or not?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Maxepower,

Brushless systems are capable of pulling lots of current and it just sounds like to me for whatever reason that joint that you have -- lipo bullet connector, wire bullet connector, and solder joint -- is having a hard time handling the current and is heating up.

Do you have access to different solder? How is the solder joint itself...? A picture is worth a thousand words... If you want maybe you can bring it by the shop or to me at the track one day and I can check it out and maybe re-solder it for you...?
I had the same thing happen to me with a trinity 4500 lipo... the negitive lead came off and melted the plastic. It was with a LRP TC and a 10.5, i know this is Steve's novak thread, but i just thought i would throw that out there. i think Steve is right and not a novak ESC problem, but maybe something with lipos and current draw.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 AM
The Evicerator

Thanks for the input Overflow!

The more connections you have the more resistance you will accumulate and this leads to voltage drop/less efficiency/more heating... which can be contributing to the leads unsoldering at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.