Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
One question: Is there a removable sensor harness?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 PM
The Evicerator

In a brushless motor the sensors are what moves... the sensors help trigger the pulses sent to the motor even though the ESC does all the work.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:33 PM
The Evicerator

At the moment the sensor harness is not replaceable... there really isn't any room in the back the way the motor is designed to have a connector back there... but I hear where you're coming from gordie!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
At the moment the sensor harness is not replaceable... there really isn't any room in the back the way the motor is designed to have a connector back there... but I hear where you're coming from gordie!
That's cool
Old 09-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Steve, a question about a discontinued product. I have an old Tempest Pro esc but I cannot remember the motor limit for it and I can only find info on the website for the Tempest Max. These are not the same but do thay have the same motor limits? I still have the original box but not the instruction sheet and the box does not have anything about the motor limit printed on it.

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Just wanted to say that I got my two 10.5's back from Novak after burning them up.... super quick turnaround time! Can't wait to try these things out again! Thank you Novak and Steve Weiss!

Can you shed some light on exactly how we should open and rebuild these brushless motors? The two that I've burnt up share the fact that I opened them up to clean them - i'm thinking that maybe I did something wrong that caused the malfunction. (And no, i didn't use any motor spray)

Thx again
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Everytime I open either of my Novak BL motors (SS5800 and SS13.5 Pro), it smells like, Lysol? or some strange electronic smelling junk...

fyi - My temps are usually below 140F for the 13.5, and below 160F for the SS5800. The SS5800 has been upgraded to Sintered.

What is causing that funky smell? Are the motors getting too hot, or is this just "normal" ?? Additionally, as asked above, what kind of maintenance should be performed on BL motors to keep them performing their best.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:18 AM
The Evicerator

Chris,

Just spoked with one of the engineers and he says that it should handle down to 8 to 10 turns ... just monitor the temperature and always use a schottky diode module on your motor!

Originally Posted by chris moore
Steve, a question about a discontinued product. I have an old Tempest Pro esc but I cannot remember the motor limit for it and I can only find info on the website for the Tempest Max. These are not the same but do thay have the same motor limits? I still have the original box but not the instruction sheet and the box does not have anything about the motor limit printed on it.

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
The Evicerator

Honestly all you really need to do is check to make sure there isn't any debris inside the motor...this includes motor shims that have a way of falling off the front bearing or shaft... when you disassemble the motor be sure to keep track of every part... sometimes those shims fall behind that red peice of insulation in the front.

Also... when cleaning the motor out I would only use compressed air or a soft bristle brush.

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
Just wanted to say that I got my two 10.5's back from Novak after burning them up.... super quick turnaround time! Can't wait to try these things out again! Thank you Novak and Steve Weiss!

Can you shed some light on exactly how we should open and rebuild these brushless motors? The two that I've burnt up share the fact that I opened them up to clean them - i'm thinking that maybe I did something wrong that caused the malfunction. (And no, i didn't use any motor spray)

Thx again
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 AM
The Evicerator

KN,

I'm really not sure what that smell is that you are describing... maybe I've been around these motors for so long that I just don't smell anything out of the ordinary on them!

There are some different oils that come on certain parts... mainly the bearings and the laminations themselves that you might be smelling?

The temperatures you are reporting sound pretty safe... maybe you can check with a friend's temp meter to make sure that your's is not off...?

The only time these motors smell to me is when something is burnt or melted ... and usually that takes higher temperatures to do... over 200 usually.

Originally Posted by kn7671
Everytime I open either of my Novak BL motors (SS5800 and SS13.5 Pro), it smells like, Lysol? or some strange electronic smelling junk...

fyi - My temps are usually below 140F for the 13.5, and below 160F for the SS5800. The SS5800 has been upgraded to Sintered.

What is causing that funky smell? Are the motors getting too hot, or is this just "normal" ?? Additionally, as asked above, what kind of maintenance should be performed on BL motors to keep them performing their best.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM
aca
Tech Initiate

Steve, what gage wires (battery and motor) comes on the Novak GTB 4-cell esc? I can't seem to find that info, are I am over looking it in all the specs I've looked at!

Thanks
Allen
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Whats a good temp for a 13.5 with a 13.5mm rotar in it and a 10.5 with a 13.5mm rotar??

Bryan
Old 09-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know there will be a Scuba Steve sighting but will there be an Elvis sighting in Vegas this year?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
The Evicerator

Allen,

All wires on the 4 cell ESCs are 16 awg.

Originally Posted by aca
Steve, what gage wires (battery and motor) comes on the Novak GTB 4-cell esc? I can't seem to find that info, are I am over looking it in all the specs I've looked at!

Thanks
Allen
Old 09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
The Evicerator

Well I've never run a 13.5 mm rotor in anything before...but for 13.0 mm rotors we ALWAYS recommend under 170 degrees F after a five minute run!

This doesn't mean gear the motor up until it runs at 170...this means that the upper limit for temperatures we want to see is 170.

If your motor is fast and feels right to you and it comes off at 115 degrees that's great!

Originally Posted by teammidget lilB
Whats a good temp for a 13.5 with a 13.5mm rotar in it and a 10.5 with a 13.5mm rotar??

Bryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.