Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

The ESC/Motor Combo is a Speed Passion Cirtix Stock ESC and a Speed Passion V3.0 21.5 with fixed 0 degree timing sensor board. Any opinions on this setup? I looked up the KV of the motor and it's speced at 2000KV witch is a bit higher than the typical 1800 KV I've seen for 21.5 motors from Hobbywing, Ready, LRP, etc...
Old 03-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

For those TC4 owners who haven't read this Thread is a GOOD read. On page 2 (post 23) check out the picture of his motor mount, cut it down to remove weight.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...stock-etc.html
Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nttdemented
The ESC/Motor Combo is a Speed Passion Cirtix Stock ESC and a Speed Passion V3.0 21.5 with fixed 0 degree timing sensor board. Any opinions on this setup? I looked up the KV of the motor and it's speced at 2000KV witch is a bit higher than the typical 1800 KV I've seen for 21.5 motors from Hobbywing, Ready, LRP, etc...
First thing we do in VTA is bump the timing, BUT you can't.

Change punch setting on the ESC, that may only help you come out of a corner and at the start BUT it may not.

In this thread he talks and shares how to get more free wheeling (less drag) in drive train, may help you.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...stock-etc.html
Old 03-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh yeah I already read up on that read a while back before buying the car. Followed a few tips from there.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

track? any videos?
Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not yet. I haven't raced a touring car in over 10 years. Used to race a Nitro RS4 with a ton of mods. I recently got back into RC and I've raced in the mod short course class the past few months. Got vids of that, but not of the TC4.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

mod short course class <<on road
Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I bet it is! I like the truck though. We race them on indoor carpet off-road. Much like the TC4 I bought a 2nd hand Losi XXX-SCT that someone spent WAY to much money hopping up with STRC and exotech parts, ceramic bearings, the works! I got a banging deal on it and it's been doing real good. I'm 2nd in the championship 2 races in.

Can't wait to get this TC4 going. So far I've only put one pack through it before tearing it appart and it handled like utter shit. lol
Old 03-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
It's the fronts I'm mounting on my Yodog conversion. I'm just waiting for tc7 hinge pins. The ones in the front arms that hold the caster block are smaller in dia then any I have.
Nice, it'd be nice to hear about the results, and maybe some pics.
Also didn't know YoDog was shipping kit's. Got any pics of your final build?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

I'm following Justwill's lead. Just bought a used TC4 with full electronics and a few proper mods already done to it (aluminum hexes and hd shafts and some aluminum screw hardware). Going to run it in my local 21.5 blinky class and I'm in the process going over the entire car.

As part of the process I ordered TC6 VCS3 shocks, sway bars, blue and gold springs, tc6 ballstuds and endlinks, tc4 titanium turnbuckles, and tc6 dcv shafts.

Already got the tc6 steering blocks installed and shimmed out. Did the modifications on the chassi webing for clearance and also copied will's ball stud location for the steering blocks.

I'm done with the car for now, all it's missing is the above mentioned hardware, some setup tuning and off to the track.

I recently weighed it fully built and loaded before taking it appart and it came in at 1410 grams with a standard shorty and esc mounted ahead of the battery.

Gotta weigh it again after adding the titanium rods and tc6 hardware to see where I'll stand. The class limit is 1350 grams but I'm told cars arent being weighed or extensively teched save for checking the motor, esc, tires (must be treaded rubbers, everyone runs x-patterns), and body/wheel styles witch must be scale look and 190mm max.

Question about the motor mount guys. Is there an aftermarket motor mount with braket to bolt a motor fan onto or do I have to fabricate one as I've seen in some videos. For now I'm planning on zip tying the fan to the motor can. Esc is fanless because the fan wouldn't fit under the battery strap, I'm hoping thats ok since the motor is so docile.

Also, geering. I've read a lot about it on the thread and I bought a 38t pinion and 55t spur (48p, 3.7FDR) to go with it for the shorter carpet track. It's currently geared with a 49t spur and 41t pinion. Thats 2.6FDR! Locals tell me thats how they run it on the bigger track (asphalt 1/8th scale onroad track) but it seems nuts to me from whats talked about in this thread.

I ran a pack through the car in front of the house and the motor felt really hot. Didn't have a heat gun at the time and I just bought one this week so once it's done I'll be able to check on that.
For 21.5 you want to keep drivetrain free and light. Ditch the alloy hex's and shafts and go back to stock plastic and the tc6 DCj's up front. Use plastic ball diff for rear and front spool. Light weight drive in stock class' helps more than you'd think. I had steel diff, alloy shafts and hex's and alloy drive shaft on my brushed and 21.5 cars and when going back to all the light stock stuff my car pulled a lot harder out of a corer. Everyone always comments how quick it accelereates even with same FDR as their cars.

As for gearing, I'm on a small 31'x56' high grip carpet track and depending on layout am between 4.2 and 4.6, even with no timing 21.5. I can't imagine gearing in the 3.xx's, car would be a dog and motor would melt down. For big open flowing track maybe, but not our tight/high grip.

ESC fan won't be needed but for motor fan ORCA make a nice mount, Yeah Racing makes a cheaper copy of it. I have one on each of my DC4's and paired with a YR Tornado fan dropped temps big time.
RCMart has the YR fan and brackets.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Thanx Tmail55, Great links on CF & "Tips & Tricks". We need some informative read every now & then.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

I'm following Justwill's lead. Just bought a used TC4 with full electronics and a few proper mods already done to it (aluminum hexes and hd shafts and some aluminum screw hardware). Going to run it in my local 21.5 blinky class and I'm in the process going over the entire car.

As part of the process I ordered TC6 VCS3 shocks, sway bars, blue and gold springs, tc6 ballstuds and endlinks, tc4 titanium turnbuckles, and tc6 dcv shafts.

Already got the tc6 steering blocks installed and shimmed out. Did the modifications on the chassi webing for clearance and also copied will's ball stud location for the steering blocks.

I'm done with the car for now, all it's missing is the above mentioned hardware, some setup tuning and off to the track.

I recently weighed it fully built and loaded before taking it appart and it came in at 1410 grams with a standard shorty and esc mounted ahead of the battery.

Gotta weigh it again after adding the titanium rods and tc6 hardware to see where I'll stand. The class limit is 1350 grams but I'm told cars arent being weighed or extensively teched save for checking the motor, esc, tires (must be treaded rubbers, everyone runs x-patterns), and body/wheel styles witch must be scale look and 190mm max.

Question about the motor mount guys. Is there an aftermarket motor mount with braket to bolt a motor fan onto or do I have to fabricate one as I've seen in some videos. For now I'm planning on zip tying the fan to the motor can. Esc is fanless because the fan wouldn't fit under the battery strap, I'm hoping thats ok since the motor is so docile.

Also, geering. I've read a lot about it on the thread and I bought a 38t pinion and 55t spur (48p, 3.7FDR) to go with it for the shorter carpet track. It's currently geared with a 49t spur and 41t pinion. Thats 2.6FDR! Locals tell me thats how they run it on the bigger track (asphalt 1/8th scale onroad track) but it seems nuts to me from whats talked about in this thread.

I ran a pack through the car in front of the house and the motor felt really hot. Didn't have a heat gun at the time and I just bought one this week so once it's done I'll be able to check on that.
I look forward to your results....
Old 03-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A simple way to mount a fan over a motor on a TC3 or TC4 is to use the heat sink/motor mount that comes with the car. I've seen people just use a few screws and screw them down in between the heat sink fins. Depending on the size screws, you might need to drill a better "hole" for the screw to fit.

A better option is to use a tap and die set to create a threaded hole to screw into.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Bolt fan to motor mount, didn't work for me.

BUT that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

One of the GREAT bits about RC's.

Works for some, not so much for some. :-)

Maybe IF I had a tap to do some threading, it could have worked for me.

Last edited by tmail55; 03-11-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
A simple way to mount a fan over a motor on a TC3 or TC4 is to use the heat sink/motor mount that comes with the car. I've seen people just use a few screws and screw them down in between the heat sink fins. Depending on the size screws, you might need to drill a better "hole" for the screw to fit.

A better option is to use a tap and die set to create a threaded hole to screw into.
Good TIP, should have thought of it myself !!!!! Never saw that in "Berts" mods. My Diggity doesn't use the stock motor mount. TQracing has a good selection of fan mounts..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.