Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E-BUSS
Hi All,

Are most people using the stock steering setup, Or using a servo saver in place of the servo arm that comes in the kit?

Thanks,
I think that is up to you and your level of comfort. If you feel your servo is strong enough to withstand forces of impact or the lack of chance for impact in your style of driving then run without the servo saver. However, if you want to be on the safe side, run the servo saver.

Although it doesn't look pretty, I think this one would be best for the job.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXS361&P=ML
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LOW ET
what are the problems with the gear diff?
The original kit came with only two (2) spider gears for the gear diff instead of the usual four (4) you normally see in other gear diffs. After that there was a revision kit you could get that would update it to four (4). The optional gear diff kits that was subsequent to this also came with four spider gears. So I assume that due to the running changes the current kit comes with the four spider gears for the gear diff. Maybe someone else can comment to confirm this.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

i have a new kit i just got and it has two silver gears and two black gears in the diff package. looks just like this http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Differential
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

new lot geardiff is this ,
not have problem !
but price little high !
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

i have a new kit i just got and it has two silver gears and two black gears in the diff package. looks just like this http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Differential
Then you'll need this to upgrade your diff.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-Re-Build-Kit
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

it's funny that people want to upgrade to more gears in the diff, when they were running the s400 they were taking gears out of the diff. what's the difference between the two diffs?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

it's funny that people want to upgrade to more gears in the diff, when they were running the s400 they were taking gears out of the diff. what's the difference between the two diffs?
I wasn't aware that the S400 even had a gear diff back then.

Do a search of this thread. There are a few posts about 4 gears vs. 2.

Besides, everyones elses gear diff, Spec-R and Tamiya, all use 4 gears. So what does Serpent know that those others don't?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

there is nothing wrong with a 2 gear diff. i started to run 2 gears in my 733 diffs about 1.5years ago. the problem with the first batch off diffs was the housing. not leakage, but the pulley didnt run 100% true. had a slight wobble to it. the reason to run only 2 gears is due to less weight and the gears arent composite, so the strength is there. its a tuning tool to run 4 gears , not essential.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I wasn't aware that the S400 even had a gear diff back then.

Do a search of this thread. There are a few posts about 4 gears vs. 2.

Besides, everyones elses gear diff, Spec-R and Tamiya, all use 4 gears. So what does Serpent know that those others don't?
all the spec R and xray diffs all have composite gears. they do blow out. where as the serpent hasnt blown out , due to the material of the gears. its more so the diff action your looking for. 2 gears can be tuned the same as 4 with oils.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
there is nothing wrong with a 2 gear diff. i started to run 2 gears in my 733 diffs about 1.5years ago. the problem with the first batch off diffs was the housing. not leakage, but the pulley didnt run 100% true. had a slight wobble to it. the reason to run only 2 gears is due to less weight and the gears arent composite, so the strength is there. its a tuning tool to run 4 gears , not essential.
Then why doesn't Serpent supply the two extra spider gears and the shaft in the kit. I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to do so. That way the user can decide to either build it with two or four gears. So will this be a running change also?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Then why doesn't Serpent supply the two extra spider gears and the shaft in the kit. I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to do so. That way the user can decide to either build it with two or four gears. So will this be a running change also?
i really dont think it will be a running change. how ever the problem with the diff housings have been sorted. all you need to buy is the revision set, and you have gears to make 2 diffs 4 geared diffs.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO, I really don't think that a 4gear diff is really needed. The 2 geared diff is plenty strong enough, and can take a multitude of Mod punishment without breaking a sweat. As Patto said, the 4 gear diff is a tuning tool (read as in optional), and it is rare in this day and age for any manufacturer to include 'options' in the kit. One of the other reasons for leaving it out of the kit was to bring the price of the kit down to a very competitive level, without sacrificing performance.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BCDK
Hi racecees1.

YES - it will also work with a 13,5 motor. We have raced the car with this setup also with a 5,5 T GM Pro (one of the most powerfull 5,5 T motors you can find), and the car performed FANTASTIC. With the second(!) battery made a new track record by more than 1,5 second. A track, where we race 10-15 batteries every week!!! Third battery also under the old record. Fifth battery will follow next week. The old record was sat with our previous car - the 417.

As you see, the setup works great also with a mod motor, so a 13,5 T motor is the same. We will test some more settings, but allready this is VERY fast.
Wel thanks for the info BCDK! Ihope it wil work with the standard arms
cuz i couldnt get hard arms in for the race oh well i think it wil go ok
Old 10-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
all the spec R and xray diffs all have composite gears. they do blow out. where as the serpent hasnt blown out , due to the material of the gears. its more so the diff action your looking for. 2 gears can be tuned the same as 4 with oils.
Originally Posted by jrxs-r
IMO, I really don't think that a 4gear diff is really needed. The 2 geared diff is plenty strong enough, and can take a multitude of Mod punishment without breaking a sweat. As Patto said, the 4 gear diff is a tuning tool (read as in optional), and it is rare in this day and age for any manufacturer to include 'options' in the kit. One of the other reasons for leaving it out of the kit was to bring the price of the kit down to a very competitive level, without sacrificing performance.
I had no experience with gear diffs before owning this car but all the testing I have.done has.told me the.opposite is.true. The two gear diff has very constant performance giving you he same.amount of limited slip effect regardless of how much diff action is going on. When you run the 4 bevels you get an increased limited slip effect in realation to how.much diff action is going. To me the 4 bevels is more like a ball diff in how.it drives. You can also get away with a lighter diff when using 4 bevels bit still get drive off corners.

In the end it depends on what you need as to what is better but most people who have one.locally has put in the extra bevels when I suggest it to the and find it a better car to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.