Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I had no experience with gear diffs before owning this car but all the testing I have.done has.told me the.opposite is.true. The two gear diff has very constant performance giving you he same.amount of limited slip effect regardless of how much diff action is going on. When you run the 4 bevels you get an increased limited slip effect in realation to how.much diff action is going. To me the 4 bevels is more like a ball diff in how.it drives. You can also get away with a lighter diff when using 4 bevels bit still get drive off corners.

In the end it depends on what you need as to what is better but most people who have one.locally has put in the extra bevels when I suggest it to the and find it a better car to drive.
My point was aimed elsewhere. But you are correct. 4 gears feels like a ball diff. the point being a 2 gear diff is not a draw back from purchasing this kit.
every track is different, grip levels , driver preference. it isnt right or wrong to use either 2 or 4 gear. it is purley an option as to which way you go, there fore i dont feel its required to have this option in the kit.

in gas when diffs got smaller, we used thicker oils to get the same feel, less fluid capacity mean we had to go thicker oils. so will that transfer to 2 and 4 gears ? if it doesnt rain tommorow, i am testing this out, 2 and 4 geared diff with the same oil, same conditions same tyres. we have had limited running here due to this bad weather every 2nd Sunday ! today was a nice day , lots of sun, we need to change our sundays , hahaha
Old 10-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Last night I finally got the chance to run my Serpent, and was very impressed on how easy it was to drive.

At the track there were 3 people with the new S411 and we all experienced the same problem.. The Universal Drive pins would back out. Now I know that we can dremmel them to flat spot the pins, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the x-ray ones fit? If so is it this part?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...AY-Pin-2x10-10
Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Akhor
Last night I finally got the chance to run my Serpent, and was very impressed on how easy it was to drive.

At the track there were 3 people with the new S411 and we all experienced the same problem.. The Universal Drive pins would back out. Now I know that we can dremmel them to flat spot the pins, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the x-ray ones fit? If so is it this part?

i use TOP racing ones. cheap and 8 in a pack. PO-DT0011 is the part number.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
My point was aimed elsewhere. But you are correct. 4 gears feels like a ball diff. the point being a 2 gear diff is not a draw back from purchasing this kit.
every track is different, grip levels , driver preference. it isnt right or wrong to use either 2 or 4 gear. it is purley an option as to which way you go, there fore i dont feel its required to have this option in the kit.

in gas when diffs got smaller, we used thicker oils to get the same feel, less fluid capacity mean we had to go thicker oils. so will that transfer to 2 and 4 gears ? if it doesnt rain tommorow, i am testing this out, 2 and 4 geared diff with the same oil, same conditions same tyres. we have had limited running here due to this bad weather every 2nd Sunday ! today was a nice day , lots of sun, we need to change our sundays , hahaha
I would say 1/2 the oil when you go to 4 bevels for a similar diff.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

http://rcmarket.com.hk/advanced_sear...c0p1752n4qmup2
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
IMO, I really don't think that a 4gear diff is really needed. The 2 geared diff is plenty strong enough, and can take a multitude of Mod punishment without breaking a sweat. As Patto said, the 4 gear diff is a tuning tool (read as in optional), and it is rare in this day and age for any manufacturer to include 'options' in the kit. One of the other reasons for leaving it out of the kit was to bring the price of the kit down to a very competitive level, without sacrificing performance.
$450USD street price is what you call bringing the price down to a competitive level? What is the cost of two more bevels and a shaft to the manufacterer? $2 - $3? But if I want the extra bevels I can't just buy two bevels and a shaft, I have to buy a whole revision kit for another $30. So why don't they just add the two bevels and shaft in the kit and charge $455USD street price. In the end I would save $25 and the hassel of having to buy an extra part. Plus that savings can go towards other more needed spares.

Frankly, I don't see the two added gears as a "Tuning" option. I just see it as a cheap way to skimp on the kit. Suspension arm brackets, sway bars, and springs, most definitely yes those are "Tuning" options. A complete diff, ball diff, or oneway, those are tuning options as well but two lousy bevel gears? C'mon.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What setup did you go with?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
$450USD street price is what you call bringing the price down to a competitive level? What is the cost of two more bevels and a shaft to the manufacterer? $2 - $3? But if I want the extra bevels I can't just buy two bevels and a shaft, I have to buy a whole revision kit for another $30. So why don't they just add the two bevels and shaft in the kit and charge $455USD street price. In the end I would save $25 and the hassel of having to buy an extra part. Plus that savings can go towards other more needed spares.

Frankly, I don't see the two added gears as a "Tuning" option. I just see it as a cheap way to skimp on the kit. Suspension arm brackets, sway bars, and springs, most definitely yes those are "Tuning" options. A complete diff, ball diff, or oneway, those are tuning options as well but two lousy bevel gears? C'mon.
401458 this is 2 bevels and a shaft , that you just can not buy.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SkaterX
What setup did you go with?
Kit setup was pretty good in Superstock.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
401458 this is 2 bevels and a shaft , that you just can not buy.
Thanks. I'll remember to pick that up when I order my kit.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to admit that price is.always a factor in where people spend.there money.... However if you are purchasing a new high end tc why in the world are you worried about the price? You want a kit that yiu believe will offer you the most, not what is cheapest. If you want cheap look at a plastic tamiya kit or a 12th scale. If you want fast then pick a kit that you will be.happy with and get whatever options are nessasary for tye performance u want. I actually want a awsomatix but I got over waiting and picked this as the next best platform. I am happy with because it is fast even though I have spent extra $ working out what bits are good and what I should chuck in the.bin.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well... I know where you're coming from too. No worries!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

I think that is up to you and your level of comfort. If you feel your servo is strong enough to withstand forces of impact or the lack of chance for impact in your style of driving then run without the servo saver. However, if you want to be on the safe side, run the servo saver
Hi.

I am using the Xray T3 servo saver. I had to add a 1mm shim under each servomount.

Last edited by Nitroblood; 10-02-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i pretty much just finished the s411 build and the car is beautiful! maybe it's just me but the narrow chassis makes the car look so small. i would like to share some of my build experiences with fellow s411 builders,

step A19: i used an associated tc6 106t 64p spur #31334. the spur fit with no problems or modifications.

step A24: i used associated king pin shims #8425 on the steering bellcrank arms in place of the stock shims. i think they are 0.010" thicker than stock. when i tried the stock shims the bellcrank would not work properly because the countersunk screw would hit the bellcrank arms when the steering assembly would go through it's motion. with these thicker shims the steering assembly works without any interference.

overall the car went together very easy and again looks beautiful. anyone thinking about getting one should not hesitate, it's awesome!

Last edited by LOW ET; 10-02-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Hi Guys,
I have seen this car perform a couple of times now and am thinking of getting one to run, without going through the pages of info on this thread can someone please answer a couple of questions for me.
Is there a V2 kit available with a 2.25mm chassis or do you need to buy it seperatly,
and there any other parts needed with the kit to get it to comp spec, i aways run on asphalt never carpet.

Any help would be great.

Rhys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.