Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
There are many differances in the new batch of kits. The chassis is different to the standard one (narrower again, 2.25mm) and car has medium plastics throughout. There are a few other small bits and pieces also, the driveshafts have serpent 46mm etched into them now. Really like this car, but never have I had so many issues building a car with faulty parts!

I had a few shock balls and arm balls that needed to be replaced as the pin would not go through. This was annoying but an easy replacement. my other 2 issues on the other hand

My kit has come with 1 different size shock body (obviously from a 1/8) so i cant put any shocks on the car and will have to buy a replacement, another delay. The other issue I have is that the rear of the car has a big bind in the drivetrain. Tried different belts, essentric's, whole diff and bearing and it still exists. The belt has a bigh/low spot no matter what i try, the essentric's are visibly wobbling in the bulkheads as the drivetrain rotates. Im going to try and fit a prototype chassis that has been sent to me and see if that fixes the issue, but im not liking my chances.

Hope Serpent get the rest of the kits right as there are way too many things wrong with mine. Not the best first impression thats for sure!
Gee and here I thought it was the best of the rest in regards to going together. I was going to get a V2 this week from RAB hobbies, but might see if I can get V1 instead they seem to be a bit more organised...
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
What differences in the suspension geometry/design does the Serpent, and the other cars you are referring to, have over the T3/TC6/Photon?
Every car that is on the podium at the big events have a lot in common these days as it is proven to be fast. What the cara I mentiined earler don't have is suspension arms mounted directly into the lower deck with alloy blocks. Xray is 1/2 way there and along with the high quality of the kit it makes for a good chassis. But kits that do everything properly are the ones at the front of the field.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

oh i see where i am going wrong its not the kit but the driver

im happy you pointed that one out dragonfire
Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

dragonfire you coming over for the nationals ?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Why should I get a 411 when I still have tons and tons of s400 cars, parts, and equipment. I like new stuff but I barely race TC at all and we just started racing TC at my local track and my S400 is still very fast. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default V1 , V2

Originally Posted by Deepsouth
Gee and here I thought it was the best of the rest in regards to going together. I was going to get a V2 this week from RAB hobbies, but might see if I can get V1 instead they seem to be a bit more organised...
Looking at the info i have in front of me and other sources the only kits available still have the 2.5mm chassis and some minor improvements in molding and a spur included. I still have to see a kit supplied with a 2.25mm chassis. Considering that the turn over from the importer is quite high and new kits arrive every 4 weeks to fill demand !!!

Some re-sellers might change the kit specs to accommodate racers needs and local track conditions or as a selling tool. Out of the 12+ kits sold and 3+ kits built apart from a wonky diff case which was replaced i have not encountered any other issues with the kits received and sold.

Cheers

Ren

Last edited by venom54; 10-06-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
dragonfire you coming over for the nationals ?
Funny you should mention that... Have been thinking about it quite a lot after finding my way with some serious speed at FEMCA. I had a ph call today that will likely pave the way for a good trip so as it stands it is about 50/50. If I get what I want out of the chassis/power plant next weekend it will be very very likely.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

sounds good mate hope to see you over this way, i have enough frequent flyers so i hope to get accross the other side again oneday..

your brothers car in stock ? do you change the set up much compared to yours at all ?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by venom54
Looking at the info i have in front of me and other sources the only kits available still have the 2.5mm chassis and some minor improvements in molding and a spur included. I still have to see a kit supplied with a 2.25mm chassis. Considering that the turn over from the importer is quite high and new kits arrive every 4 weeks to fill demand !!!

Some re-sellers might change the kit specs to accommodate racers needs and local track conditions or as a selling tool. Out of the 12+ kits sold and 3+ kits built apart from a wonky diff case which was replaced i have not encountered any other issues with the kits received and sold.

Cheers

Ren
Thanks for the reply Ren puts me at ease.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
sounds good mate hope to see you over this way, i have enough frequent flyers so i hope to get accross the other side again oneday..

your brothers car in stock ? do you change the set up much compared to yours at all ?
Stiff springs and.swaybars... and no kickdown on the front.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

Thinking about getting an S411 just sold my T3'11 and was going to get the new Xray. I do like the Serpent espcially the shocks and the gear diff but worried about quality of parts and fitment after having Xray and slop in the steering. So convince me why I should get this and not wait for the Xray

Does it need the lipo holders or is just tape ok ?

Is there anything extra that's worth changing that doesn't come with the kit ?

What size spur's fit and what size comes with kit ?

Thanks.

Last edited by S.A.W; 10-08-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

kit comes with a 84t 48p spur

using battery tape only will be fine

you may want to pick up the normal tuning items like different springs and anti roll bars.

fitment of everything on my s411 was great. i didn't have to rework any parts. i did have to use 0.010" thicker washers on my steering bellcrank than what is supplied with the kit.

all in all it was a great build.

go ahead and get the s411, you wont be sorry!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

I was thinking about waiting for the Xray too, but couldn't wait and got the s411.
In my opinion Serpents quality fit and finish is on par with Xray and is better then Associated.(I've had all 3 brands)
I would get the battery holder as tape can break in a big crash. As far as spurs go 84 is the biggest 48 pitch you can fit (Xray spurs fit great) and not sure about 64 pitch.
Also- parts for the Serpent are cheaper then Xray, it has more steering then a T3, plus the gun metal grey anodizing is sexy!! Just get one...

Last edited by azz187; 10-08-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

Just Finished building my new S411 Great fit and finish and a fast build, Loved that Titanium grey finish and the slop is very very minimal in the steering rack, it's just littel vertical slop, but nothing sideways that i could notice witch is acceptable in my eyes but now it's just waiting for tomorrow and enjoy my car and figure out a setup habby racing everyone
Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Changed my mind

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
There are many differances in the new batch of kits. The chassis is different to the standard one (narrower again, 2.25mm) and car has medium plastics throughout. There are a few other small bits and pieces also, the driveshafts have serpent 46mm etched into them now. Really like this car, but never have I had so many issues building a car with faulty parts!

I had a few shock balls and arm balls that needed to be replaced as the pin would not go through. This was annoying but an easy replacement. my other 2 issues on the other hand

My kit has come with 1 different size shock body (obviously from a 1/8) so i cant put any shocks on the car and will have to buy a replacement, another delay. The other issue I have is that the rear of the car has a big bind in the drivetrain. Tried different belts, essentric's, whole diff and bearing and it still exists. The belt has a bigh/low spot no matter what i try, the essentric's are visibly wobbling in the bulkheads as the drivetrain rotates. Im going to try and fit a prototype chassis that has been sent to me and see if that fixes the issue, but im not liking my chances.

Hope Serpent get the rest of the kits right as there are way too many things wrong with mine. Not the best first impression thats for sure!
And here I was thinking of ordering the 411, having owned previous Serpent cars (1/8 onroad) the quality used to be A1, but issues as mentioned by numerous posts by any other people, will wait and see what the Corally HMX, or the Xray 2012 holds. What a pity Serpent have dropped the ball in this area, so many cars have great handling, design but no quality or support, which is what Serpent had, if Serpent have lost their quality and quality control, well then they have nothing to offer me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.