Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Those are large lol. 55X24, 3 -270* corners in a row, then 2 hairpins, you could actually hear the chatter it was so bad. Just fixing that was good for .2 seconds per lap and made the car far more consistent. Thats a nice flowing track you had there so I'm not surprised that chatter didn't come up. The setup will lock the car down even more but doesn't remove the steering from the car. (Hope we are both talking about ozite.)
you win on the smallest track.. yes both on ozite.. we just got new carpet 3-4 weeks ago.. really nice place we rented also for the club.. email me you set up.. i will take a look at it... jeremy
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is the link to my setup. Jeff I got Arnau to post yours up on the site as well.

Actually I think I loose, lol, big track would be nice, you're guys setup looks pretty nice. Not to age myself, but the last time I was in Wisconsin, you guys still had a playboy club, lol.

Jim the spring deal should be ok, the setup is looking for similar springs in the front and rear, not a big spring split. So if you have a Yokomo hot pink or green dot, Tamiya yellow, or a Xray 2.4, they would be a better pick. OR use a Associated green in the rear and then the Serpent white in the front would work too.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where

Here is the link to my setup. Jeff I got Arnau to post yours up on the site as well.

Actually I think I loose, lol, big track would be nice, you're guys setup looks pretty nice. Not to age myself, but the last time I was in Wisconsin, you guys still had a playboy club, lol.

Jim the spring deal should be ok, the setup is looking for similar springs in the front and rear, not a big spring split. So if you have a Yokomo hot pink or green dot, Tamiya yellow, or a Xray 2.4, they would be a better pick. OR use a Associated green in the rear and then the Serpent white in the front would work too.
lets see you probably raced at scotty's track for the novak race? yes big tracks are fun but it is all about speed. the smaller tracks need a car to handle..
Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
lets see you probably raced at scotty's track for the novak race? yes big tracks are fun but it is all about speed. the smaller tracks need a car to handle..
No never made it to Scotties place, would have been nice though. Dont think Scotty was around yet, club was at Lake Geneva.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

how far north of wisconsin are you? might run a race in the minnesota mmr series.. jeremy
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
how far north of wisconsin are you? might run a race in the minnesota mmr series.. jeremy
From Wisconsin? I'm about 24 hours north east of Milwaukee, or 16 hours from Minneapolis. That would be one heck of a drive, lol. I haven't raced in Minneapolis since guys like Peter Finch, Nub Kapiska, Norm Mead and the boys used to run. It was a heck of a drive then too, lol.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

From Wisconsin? I'm about 24 hours north east of Milwaukee, or 16 hours from Minneapolis. That would be one heck of a drive, lol. I haven't raced in Minneapolis since guys like Peter Finch, Nub Kapiska, Norm Mead and the boys used to run. It was a heck of a drive then too, lol.
yes yes very long drive.. would not want to make too many of those drives.. my set up is now posted on the serpent site under s411 for anyone to look/try out.. next is to get a mod setup tested out.. jeremy
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Last night's practice...the 411 is getting closer to being a consistent handler. Still acting a little funny in the bumpy sections of our track so I'm going to try to take a little bump steer out of it and see how it reacts. I was also running a 1mm roll spacer in the rear and I've now gone to 0mm, need to get the rear a little more planted, hopefully without giving up too much steering.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pcar951
Last night's practice...the 411 is getting closer to being a consistent handler. Still acting a little funny in the bumpy sections of our track so I'm going to try to take a little bump steer out of it and see how it reacts. I was also running a 1mm roll spacer in the rear and I've now gone to 0mm, need to get the rear a little more planted, hopefully without giving up too much steering.
Any thoughts?
Try the 3.5 Toe in block and 4mm in front of the suspension arm
Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default Martin Crisp joins team Serpent

This should be good for setups
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pcar951
Any thoughts?
Try standing the rear shocks up a hole or 2 but don't go past the middle setting or you'll have to readjust spring and camber.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

in this setup it says there is a 4.5mm roll center spacer for the rear portion of the front. what is this referring to? Is this the spacers below the inboard connection point of the front upper links?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Joining Serpent

Hi Eveyone,

After being an independent for the past year while running an xray, I will be joining the Serpent Team. Can't wait for Paul to send me my cars and start to figure out this car. I was impressed with this 411 when it first came out and have been thinking about this for a while now. It looks like it is very strong and has a good design.

I look forward to learning more about this car and hopefully getting some good results.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
in this setup it says there is a 4.5mm roll center spacer for the rear portion of the front. what is this referring to? Is this the spacers below the inboard connection point of the front upper links?
its the one under the suspension bracket, they also call it suspension spacer
Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by desotoracing
We have found that you need to have more camber gain in the rear than in the front. We liked the best running the front link long and relatively flat and the rear link short and with a slight angle. This translates to:

Front long, inside mounting hole with 4mm of shims, no shims on outside
Rear short, outer hole on chassis and inner hole on upright, 2mm shim on both

Camber front 0.0 - 0.5 deg neg
rear 2.0 deg neg

Also, we like the car with soft springs. We are using white springs all the way around and the shock are mounted of the inner most hole of the shock tower. Stocks bars, 2.5mm chassis, 3.5 deg of rear toe, 5mm of ride height
To add to this...

Adding more spacers on the inboard front upper link will lower the roll center allowing the front of the car to roll more in the corner, taking weight off of the inside tire and adding it to the outside tire, which reduces overall lateral grip at the front, causing the car to push more mid corner, once the car has reached it's full roll.

In Contrast, taking away spacers from the inboard front upper links will do the opposite. It will reduce the amount of roll at the front of the car, giving the car more overall lateral grip at the front, giving you more steering in the middle of the corner. If you go to far with this, the car will feel like it is steering too much on the nose of the car, making it harder to be consistent.

So typically drivers will add spacers to the front inboard upper links to make the car feel smoother through the entire corner and not steer on the nose of the car.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.