Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
I run my speedo exactly how brett explained it and haven't had any problems yet.
If that's how the Master runs it, there's no need to go any further. That seems to be the popular way to position the Tekin around here also.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Smile rdx

hi,

i have just found out we changed racing from stock 27 to stock 19 handout, we got training on friday and racing this comming sunday, anyone with advice for starting gear ratio so i know where to start with the little time i have got looking for the right pinions(0.48) i got 78 on the car right now.

we run 3300 and foams on asfalt and it is pretty hot down(allways over 100F) here so it is heavy on the car and electronics!

well let me know if you got some advice

bye

arthur
from curacao
Old 04-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdx_arthur
hi,

i have just found out we changed racing from stock 27 to stock 19 handout, we got training on friday and racing this comming sunday, anyone with advice for starting gear ratio so i know where to start with the little time i have got looking for the right pinions(0.48) i got 78 on the car right now.

we run 3300 and foams on asfalt and it is pretty hot down(allways over 100F) here so it is heavy on the car and electronics!

well let me know if you got some advice

bye

arthur
from curacao
See this link for a roll out chart roll out chart
I think a 30-32mm roll out is a good start!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Greetings All,

Tonight I'm going to try to minimize My RDX's bump steer. Any suggestions on where and how much to shim.

Cheerz
Old 04-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Obsidian
Greetings All,

Tonight I'm going to try to minimize My RDX's bump steer. Any suggestions on where and how much to shim.

Cheerz
Use the ball connectors from the rear shock tower for the ball connectors for the steering knuckles!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by koabich
Use the ball connectors from the rear shock tower for the ball connectors for the steering knuckles!
Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Hello All,

Anyone know where I can find 4deg caster blocks. My LHS says the supplier is out of stock.

Cheerz
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hello All,

Anyone know where I can find 4deg caster blocks. My LHS says the supplier is out of stock.

Cheerz
Hobby Town San Jose had some in stock last time I was there.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Greetings All,

Cheerz
maybe be a stupid question, but what is bump steer? and why do you want to minimize it?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Defenition:

The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. This causes the wheels to change toe unevenly as the suspension undergoes jounce and rebound.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Bump Steer is when the front wheels toe in or out as the suspension compresses.

The bump steer on the RDX gives toe in as the front compresses which makes the car easier to handle while cornering. It can make the car feel as if it looses steering under heavy cornering though.

Personally i have added about 4mm of spacers under the knuckle on the steering link.

JINX
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC_Woody
maybe be a stupid question, but what is bump steer? and why do you want to minimize it?
Bump steering is the effect that bumps and suspension compression have on steering. Basically, a car that has bumpsteer will be effected in the following ways:
As the cars suspension is compressed (for whatever reason, hitting a bump or leaning in a turn), the link that attaches to the steering knuckle acts as if it is shortened when the suspension is compressed and thus adds toe out to that side of the car where the suspension is compressed causing in a loss of steering.
For example, as a car leans right in a left hand turn, the right side suspension compresses, having the effect of shorting the steering link on that side adding toe out to the right side tire. Again you are turning left and want the wheels to point left but Bump Steer will cause the right wheel to point more outwards than normal causing a loss of steering.

With you car laying flat on a table push down on the front shock tower. You should notice the wheels as they compress exhibit toe out. The more the suspension is compressed the more the tires toe out.

To lessen the effect of bumpsteer, most people lower the ball link on the steering knuckle. For the RDX the most common way to do this is to use the ball connector on the rear shock towers on the steering knuckles as well.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by koabich
Bump steering is the effect that bumps and suspension compression have on steering. Basically, a car that has bumpsteer will be effected in the following ways:
As the cars suspension is compressed (for whatever reason, hitting a bump or leaning in a turn), the link that attaches to the steering knuckle acts as if it is shortened when the suspension is compressed and thus adds toe out to that side of the car where the suspension is compressed causing in a loss of steering.
For example, as a car leans right in a left hand turn, the right side suspension compresses, having the effect of shorting the steering link on that side adding toe out to the right side tire. Again you are turning left and want the wheels to point left but Bump Steer will cause the right wheel to point more outwards than normal causing a loss of steering.

With you car laying flat on a table push down on the front shock tower. You should notice the wheels as they compress exhibit toe out. The more the suspension is compressed the more the tires toe out.

To lessen the effect of bumpsteer, most people lower the ball link on the steering knuckle. For the RDX the most common way to do this is to use the ball connector on the rear shock towers on the steering knuckles as well.
OK I understood most of that, at least about the compressing suspension causes toe-out, but doesn't toe-out give you more steering not less?

Woody
Old 04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

OK I understood most of that, at least about the compressing suspension causes toe-out, but doesn't toe-out give you more steering not less?

Woody
But notice that it's the outside wheel that get's compressed the most, causing it to toe out (against the direction of the turn) hence less steering
Old 04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Woody
Constant toe out does give you more initial on-power steering. But remember that bump steer gets worse as the suspension compresses. So think of it like this: Going into the turn, you have minimum bump steer but as you reach the apex of the turn, your car leans over more and more causing inconsistant toe throughout the turn. This leads to inconsistant handling because though out the turn, your toe is constantly changing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.