R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #6901
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,368
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
I run my speedo exactly how brett explained it and haven't had any problems yet.
If that's how the Master runs it, there's no need to go any further. That seems to be the popular way to position the Tekin around here also.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #6902
Tech Adept
 
rdx_arthur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: curacao N.A.
Posts: 110
Send a message via MSN to rdx_arthur
Smile rdx

hi,

i have just found out we changed racing from stock 27 to stock 19 handout, we got training on friday and racing this comming sunday, anyone with advice for starting gear ratio so i know where to start with the little time i have got looking for the right pinions(0.48) i got 78 on the car right now.

we run 3300 and foams on asfalt and it is pretty hot down(allways over 100F) here so it is heavy on the car and electronics!

well let me know if you got some advice

bye

arthur
from curacao
rdx_arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #6903
Tech Master
 
subman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Edmonton,Canada
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx_arthur
hi,

i have just found out we changed racing from stock 27 to stock 19 handout, we got training on friday and racing this comming sunday, anyone with advice for starting gear ratio so i know where to start with the little time i have got looking for the right pinions(0.48) i got 78 on the car right now.

we run 3300 and foams on asfalt and it is pretty hot down(allways over 100F) here so it is heavy on the car and electronics!

well let me know if you got some advice

bye

arthur
from curacao
See this link for a roll out chart roll out chart
I think a 30-32mm roll out is a good start!
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #6904
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Bay
Posts: 485
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Greetings All,

Tonight I'm going to try to minimize My RDX's bump steer. Any suggestions on where and how much to shim.

Cheerz
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #6905
Tech Master
 
koabich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,359
Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian
Greetings All,

Tonight I'm going to try to minimize My RDX's bump steer. Any suggestions on where and how much to shim.

Cheerz
Use the ball connectors from the rear shock tower for the ball connectors for the steering knuckles!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #6906
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Bay
Posts: 485
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
Use the ball connectors from the rear shock tower for the ball connectors for the steering knuckles!
Thanks for the tip.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #6907
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Bay
Posts: 485
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Hello All,

Anyone know where I can find 4deg caster blocks. My LHS says the supplier is out of stock.

Cheerz
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #6908
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian
Hello All,

Anyone know where I can find 4deg caster blocks. My LHS says the supplier is out of stock.

Cheerz
Hobby Town San Jose had some in stock last time I was there.
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #6909
Tech Regular
 
RC_Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Helens, OR
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian
Greetings All,

Tonight I'm going to try to minimize My RDX's bump steer. Any suggestions on where and how much to shim.

Cheerz
maybe be a stupid question, but what is bump steer? and why do you want to minimize it?
__________________
Woody
Sponsored by - My Wallet
LOSI SCTE
Tekno EB48
Home Track: Firridge Raceway, Scappoose OR
RC_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #6910
Tech Regular
 
T1Raycer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 304
Default

Defenition:

The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. This causes the wheels to change toe unevenly as the suspension undergoes jounce and rebound.
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #6911
Tech Regular
 
Robfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sheffield, England
Posts: 288
Default

Bump Steer is when the front wheels toe in or out as the suspension compresses.

The bump steer on the RDX gives toe in as the front compresses which makes the car easier to handle while cornering. It can make the car feel as if it looses steering under heavy cornering though.

Personally i have added about 4mm of spacers under the knuckle on the steering link.

JINX
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #6912
Tech Master
 
koabich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,359
Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Woody
maybe be a stupid question, but what is bump steer? and why do you want to minimize it?
Bump steering is the effect that bumps and suspension compression have on steering. Basically, a car that has bumpsteer will be effected in the following ways:
As the cars suspension is compressed (for whatever reason, hitting a bump or leaning in a turn), the link that attaches to the steering knuckle acts as if it is shortened when the suspension is compressed and thus adds toe out to that side of the car where the suspension is compressed causing in a loss of steering.
For example, as a car leans right in a left hand turn, the right side suspension compresses, having the effect of shorting the steering link on that side adding toe out to the right side tire. Again you are turning left and want the wheels to point left but Bump Steer will cause the right wheel to point more outwards than normal causing a loss of steering.

With you car laying flat on a table push down on the front shock tower. You should notice the wheels as they compress exhibit toe out. The more the suspension is compressed the more the tires toe out.

To lessen the effect of bumpsteer, most people lower the ball link on the steering knuckle. For the RDX the most common way to do this is to use the ball connector on the rear shock towers on the steering knuckles as well.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #6913
Tech Regular
 
RC_Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Helens, OR
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
Bump steering is the effect that bumps and suspension compression have on steering. Basically, a car that has bumpsteer will be effected in the following ways:
As the cars suspension is compressed (for whatever reason, hitting a bump or leaning in a turn), the link that attaches to the steering knuckle acts as if it is shortened when the suspension is compressed and thus adds toe out to that side of the car where the suspension is compressed causing in a loss of steering.
For example, as a car leans right in a left hand turn, the right side suspension compresses, having the effect of shorting the steering link on that side adding toe out to the right side tire. Again you are turning left and want the wheels to point left but Bump Steer will cause the right wheel to point more outwards than normal causing a loss of steering.

With you car laying flat on a table push down on the front shock tower. You should notice the wheels as they compress exhibit toe out. The more the suspension is compressed the more the tires toe out.

To lessen the effect of bumpsteer, most people lower the ball link on the steering knuckle. For the RDX the most common way to do this is to use the ball connector on the rear shock towers on the steering knuckles as well.
OK I understood most of that, at least about the compressing suspension causes toe-out, but doesn't toe-out give you more steering not less?

Woody
__________________
Woody
Sponsored by - My Wallet
LOSI SCTE
Tekno EB48
Home Track: Firridge Raceway, Scappoose OR
RC_Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #6914
Tech Addict
 
Big Rigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Woody
OK I understood most of that, at least about the compressing suspension causes toe-out, but doesn't toe-out give you more steering not less?

Woody
But notice that it's the outside wheel that get's compressed the most, causing it to toe out (against the direction of the turn) hence less steering
__________________
[url=http://www.corallyusa.com/][color=Red]- Corraly USA -[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.corallyusa.com/specializedrc/index.htm/][color=Red]- Specialized R/C -[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.thunderrc.com/eshop/][color=DarkRed]- Team Thunder RC -[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #6915
Tech Master
 
koabich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,359
Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Woody
OK I understood most of that, at least about the compressing suspension causes toe-out, but doesn't toe-out give you more steering not less?

Woody
Constant toe out does give you more initial on-power steering. But remember that bump steer gets worse as the suspension compresses. So think of it like this: Going into the turn, you have minimum bump steer but as you reach the apex of the turn, your car leans over more and more causing inconsistant toe throughout the turn. This leads to inconsistant handling because though out the turn, your toe is constantly changing.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corally CCT Pan-touring car biker R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-02-2010 09:21 PM
Corally CCT Pan touring car biker R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 11-05-2003 07:24 AM
Corally F1 w/touring car setup froghead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 10-29-2003 08:10 PM
New Corally Touring Car At Nurnberg JANTLE Electric On-Road 117 04-30-2003 05:23 AM
Brand New Corally C4.1 Touring Car HauntedMyst R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2002 08:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:33 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net