Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC "D3" Duo 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M-Technic
What is your ESC setup? I run middle to 1 tick of timing on the motor depending on ambient conditions and the track I am running on.
With the SP 13.5 my Tekin setup is as follows, the setup has plenty of rip and speed so I just need to know if I need to make changes for the D3 to keep temps in check. I don't currently have too much time to get to the track to test before my next club event

10 degrees on motor

Boost 50
Turbo 12
Delay 0.2
Ramp 2
Start 6000ish
End 19000ish

Motor temps 170 to 175 after 5 minutes with no fading.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skitee
With the SP 13.5 my Tekin setup is as follows, the setup has plenty of rip and speed so I just need to know if I need to make changes for the D3 to keep temps in check. I don't currently have too much time to get to the track to test before my next club event

10 degrees on motor

Boost 50
Turbo 12
Delay 0.2
Ramp 2
Start 6000ish
End 19000ish

Motor temps 170 to 175 after 5 minutes with no fading.
That is a good starting point for a D3. The gearing will most likely be different. I would suggest a 6.3 final drive and 0 timing on the motor to start.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yes what Racecrafter posted is the true definition of why. It easier terms though its as Yang said as I use a Load type dyno so as a load is applied to the motor the rpm drops and this is where the amp draw comes in. As you put a heavier load on it the amps go up and rpm goes down.

EA
makes sense.

Did you get my last email?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M-Technic
That is a good starting point for a D3. The gearing will most likely be different. I would suggest a 6.3 final drive and 0 timing on the motor to start.
Cool thanks.

So currently my FDR is at 7.6 with SP, do you still suggest 6.3 ? The straight is around 130ft leading into a sweeper which is around 90ft
Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
makes sense.

Did you get my last email?
Not sure. I replied to the last one I got. Resend it and Ill check it again.

Your order went out today also.

EA
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default D3 17.5

Has anyone seen this on the bearings for the new Duo 3? (New one with timing markings) Just got one last week .. ran it for 3 mins and the car started to make a loud noise coming from the motor. Opened it up and found the bearings were leaking the grease that is packed in them big time.. cleaned it off.. noise went away for 10 sec's and then it stated again. only did a few small burst of throttle opened the motor again and then this is what I saw on the bearings again.. Motor is not damaged or anything it still works fine.. but want to sort out this bearing issue before I use it again.

The bearings in the Duo 3's are in very tight fit so I don't know if the bearings are just place in the end bell holes or if there is some kind of clip holding them in there... I have replacement bearings that would fit (don't want to break anything removing the old ones).. but there seems to be a problem if this is on a new motor. Maybe too much grease packed into the bearings or?? when I free spin the bearings its like I am doing it under water.. they are free but not as free as they should be.

I didn't oil or grease the bearings (which may have casued this) as they are packed with grease already. I have some Fantom Bearing Oil but I have to removed the grease from the bearings to put it in..

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Attached Thumbnails EPIC "D3" Duo 3-img_0242.jpg   EPIC "D3" Duo 3-img_0243.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default bad sensor board?

I'm a little bummed. After reading all the good times you guys were having with your D3's, I went ahead and ordered an Express tuned 13.5 from A-Main.

I soldered it in, put power to it, and nothing. After checking all of the connections, I pulled the sensor wire, and it worked. I checked with another sensor wire, and still nothing.

I'm assuming the board is bad. Is there a way to check this with a volt meter or anything?

I hope this isnt an weakness with these motors since I read an earlier post about the same issue. I've had a handfull of brushless motors over the past few years. I've burned a few up, but never had a board go bad, especially out of the bag!

The part will cost me around $30+ from A-MAIN, which I'm not too thrilled about.

If anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears (or eyes!!)

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had this happen to my Ballistic not too long ago. My Tekin RS wouldnt fire up unless I removed the sensor wire. It started doing this when I made an adjustment to the motor timing right before a qualifier

I corrected the problem by removing the endbell, cleaning it out and re-seating it. Never had a problem since.

Originally Posted by bsmooth
I'm a little bummed. After reading all the good times you guys were having with your D3's, I went ahead and ordered an Express tuned 13.5 from A-Main.

I soldered it in, put power to it, and nothing. After checking all of the connections, I pulled the sensor wire, and it worked. I checked with another sensor wire, and still nothing.

I'm assuming the board is bad. Is there a way to check this with a volt meter or anything?

I hope this isnt an weakness with these motors since I read an earlier post about the same issue. I've had a handfull of brushless motors over the past few years. I've burned a few up, but never had a board go bad, especially out of the bag!

The part will cost me around $30+ from A-MAIN, which I'm not too thrilled about.

If anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears (or eyes!!)

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Bsmooth,

Shoot me a e mail at [email protected] and I will got over this issue with you. I mayu know whats going on. If not we will fix issue. Its usally a simple thing.

John Tag
Old 01-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John Tag
Bsmooth,

Shoot me a e mail at [email protected] and I will got over this issue with you. I mayu know whats going on. If not we will fix issue. Its usally a simple thing.

John Tag

Thanks John.

I just sent you an email.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bsmooth,

John Tag
Now that's customer service at it's finest. Big thumbs up!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM
j86
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Now that's customer service at it's finest. Big thumbs up!
be good if and when it gets resolved, you post what was done so others may be aware of it if its an easy fix
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Addict

Bsmooth,

John Tag

John,

thanks for the phone help tonight. It seems I did have a lot of flux that must have ran down the solder tabs when I wired it. I cleaned it all up with some denatured alcohol and a cotton swap, and it worked!

You went above and beyond what reasonable customer service is!

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Can anyone share with me the size of the screws for the timing adjustment (the 3 on the endbell)

Also what is the bearing size?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Can anyone share with me the size of the screws for the timing adjustment (the 3 on the endbell)

Also what is the bearing size?
The timing adjustment screws are 1.5mm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.