Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

What set up would someone recommend for bumpy medium grip asphalt with my V5?

I do have the V5 shocks and a set of the 84317 and a set of the 42102s
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dusttt
What set up would someone recommend for bumpy medium grip asphalt with my V5?

I do have the V5 shocks and a set of the 84317 and a set of the 42102s
i have same problem with you mate, try this setup, i enjoyed this setup for my v5 car on medium grip asphalt with small bumpy track
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF417-setup-low-1.jpg   Tamiya TRF417-setup-low-2.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

Originally Posted by setanborneo
i have same problem with you mate, try this setup, i enjoyed this setup for my v5 car on medium grip asphalt with small bumpy track
Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Odd, that setup should not be a handful to drive. Have you adjusted the shock angles for the X towers? It should be hole 3 front and 5 rear on the X. I also think David ran a putty diff in the front, if you are running that then a spool will be more stable.

Other things to try:
- Kit rear anti roll bar
- Anti dive
- 3.5mm rear wheelbase (with 0.5 or 1mm front)
Thanks Craig, I am running hole 3 front and hole 4 rear at the moment but Ill try 5 in the rear + have a look at all your other recommendations.
Is it worth trying a little more camber? I have heard people comment on sorex needing a little more than some other brands - Not sure if its true or not.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glarke
Thanks Craig, I am running hole 3 front and hole 4 rear at the moment but Ill try 5 in the rear + have a look at all your other recommendations.
Is it worth trying a little more camber? I have heard people comment on sorex needing a little more than some other brands - Not sure if its true or not.
Hard to say. More static camber in the rear (e.g. 2deg) will improve rear end stability off power but you'll have even less forward bite. It doesn't hurt to give it a go...
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

When you put steel gears in the 417 X diff do you sand thew to the right thickness ( Groskamp style)like we do with the plastic ones ?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Starteur
When you put steel gears in the 417 X diff do you sand thew to the right thickness ( Groskamp style)like we do with the plastic ones ?
Nope they drop straight in with perfect mesh. Use 0.3mm shim each side. The fit is even better with the new outdrives!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot !
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the world of RC and I got 417 V5 arrived a week ago, but havent had time to build it yet. I prepared the Lower carbon fiber and that is it. I'm looking at putting savox 1251MG, Reedy lipo and Tekin RS pro set. Has anyone had setup like this before and if you do pls share your thoughts. enlighten me please, thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dingsky
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the world of RC and I got 417 V5 arrived a week ago, but havent had time to build it yet. I prepared the Lower carbon fiber and that is it. I'm looking at putting savox 1251MG, Reedy lipo and Tekin RS pro set. Has anyone had setup like this before and if you do pls share your thoughts. enlighten me please, thanks.
You definitely want to use a servo saver with that servo. It's all metal gears, but can be a bit brittle, especially if you're new to RC (you'll hit a lot of things). But it performs well. Don't use a lower-end Spektrum receiver with it, as you may have dropout issues.

Tekin is a great ESC for 17.5 and below. It can be a bit like a light switch with faster motors, though. You can also run a Silver Can with it, if you should be so inclined. Find someone local with a hotwire to get your software up-to-date and make sure you've properly configured it for the class you're going to race.

-Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigM
Hard to say. More static camber in the rear (e.g. 2deg) will improve rear end stability off power but you'll have even less forward bite. It doesn't hurt to give it a go...
Im not going to be able to get to the track for a few weeks so Ill ask the question here.
Ive just noticed the front belt is fairly loose. Long shot here, but is it possible that was causing some of the tail happy behavior? Im guessing it would load up the rears before front tires under braking/accelerating.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Glarke
Im not going to be able to get to the track for a few weeks so Ill ask the question here.
Ive just noticed the front belt is fairly loose. Long shot here, but is it possible that was causing some of the tail happy behavior? Im guessing it would load up the rears before front tires under braking/accelerating.
It wouldn't help but it's unlikely to be the sole cause
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Craig,
I need your precious help,
I run the trf417x in a small technical asphalt track with blinky 13.5, smokem fx chassis, on solaris medium. My car is very hard to drive and the only way to get tires in temperature is to go with four tamiya white spring, despite this in the two in line left-right of the track I always lose my rear end.
The only changes I've done from kit setup are 1B-1B in front with 0.5 anti-dive and 1XB-1D in the rear and I've rised the bulkheads of .5mm, so like the v5. In which way can I solve the oversteer?
Do you think I have to get a stiffer chassis?
Thank you for help.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Hi Craig,
I run the trf417x in a small technical asphalt track with blinky 13.5, smokem fx chassis, on solaris medium. My car is very hard to drive and the only way to get tires in temperature is to go with four tamiya white spring, despite this in the two in line left-right of the track I always lose my rear end.
The only changes I've done from kit setup are 1B-1B in front with 0.5 anti-dive and 1XB-1D in the rear and I've rised the bulkheads of .5mm, so like the v5. In which way can I solve the oversteer?
Thank you for help.
I also found B/B can make the car taily in chicanes. Lately I've been running wider at the front, D/D, and I haven't been using anti-dive as much.

Tamiya whites are an OK spring but I prefer Ride or HPI. To help get your tyres into the right operating temperature try different additives and higher temps on your warmers (~70c). If that doesn't work go lighter shock oil and a harder spring.

Also, your chassis is fine. In general I think people are way too quick to change carbon when their issues can more easily be solved with setup
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Hi Craig,
Thank you for help.
I would widen the front and the rear, that's quite narrow. Also tam blue spring at the rear. Also try removing the anti dive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.