Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up trf417 v5 spur gear

Hi guys, can someone please confirm for me that these spur gears are the correct ones for the trf417 v5 ?

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control...-spur-gear-64p

XENON RACING PRS-6-116 PR Spur Gear 64P 116T

I have a trf417 v5 on the way and would like to order some 64pitch spur gears for it.
PLus I will get the spacer - Panaracer 417 spur gear spacer (#PRS-SPC).

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Hi guys,
1) new tamiya lower deck with trf floating servo mount
2) smokem 417mx with 417ctr smokem floating servo mount
Which one would you suggest me?
I had the same idea some weeks ago, when the 417V5 wasn't available, so i got the smokem 417mx plus servo mount. I'm quite satisfied with it. The quality is superb (they claim to use the same carbon fiber that Tamiya uses) and the car is feeling a bit more consistent on high grip carpet than with the original 417X chassis. An advantage of the smokem servo mount over the tamiya one is, that it also fit's the original 417X chassis, in case you'd want to use that again during the "asphalt season".

On the other hand I can't really say anything about the tamiya chassis, for i haven't used it. "Specwise" it seems very, very similar to the smokem chassis, the shape ist nearly identical, but also the price is not much different. So it may be a question of personal preference...

Now that the original tamiya 417V5 spare parts are becoming available i ordered a 417V5 upper deck and will combine it with the smokem chassis. I hope it'll work well together. One reason I wanted to try this is, that the new upper deck is narrower at the front, where the steering link from the servo "crosses under" (sorry for my english) it. So I can use a longer servo arm / saver.

Christian
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dragobrat
Hi guys, can someone please confirm for me that these spur gears are the correct ones for the trf417 v5 ?

Hi Dragobrat,

I can't comment on the Xenon spur gears, but I have found that the 64p Serpent spurs are a direct fit with the spacer provided in the kit. I had previously modified Kimborough and Robinson Racing spurs to fit by drilling holes and making custom spacers out of paper. Serpent doesn't have a great selection but they require no modding.

just do a google search for "serpent 64p spur gears". I can't post Urls.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Can you recommend a place in the states to order a 417v5 online? I usally go to SpeedtechRC for my Tamiya stuff. Is there anywhere better? I'm going to be running 17.5 blinky tc on carpet. Should I grab the smokem chassis? Does it fit the v5? Just starting a new build here soon. Appreciate any help you could give!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skyball
I had the same idea some weeks ago, when the 417V5 wasn't available, so i got the smokem 417mx plus servo mount. I'm quite satisfied with it. The quality is superb (they claim to use the same carbon fiber that Tamiya uses) and the car is feeling a bit more consistent on high grip carpet than with the original 417X chassis. An advantage of the smokem servo mount over the tamiya one is, that it also fit's the original 417X chassis, in case you'd want to use that again during the "asphalt season".

On the other hand I can't really say anything about the tamiya chassis, for i haven't used it. "Specwise" it seems very, very similar to the smokem chassis, the shape ist nearly identical, but also the price is not much different. So it may be a question of personal preference...

Now that the original tamiya 417V5 spare parts are becoming available i ordered a 417V5 upper deck and will combine it with the smokem chassis. I hope it'll work well together. One reason I wanted to try this is, that the new upper deck is narrower at the front, where the steering link from the servo "crosses under" (sorry for my english) it. So I can use a longer servo arm / saver.

Christian
Thank you very much for the complete e clear reply.
I think I will buy all stuff by tamiya, my only doubt is that I haven't, actually, a high grip near home, here are all medium/low grip asphalt, so the stiffer v5 chassis will be appropriate for this conditions (I'm now running smokem 417fx)?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragobrat

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control...-spur-gear-64p

I have a trf417 v5 on the way and would like to order some 64pitch spur gears for it.
PLus I will get the spacer - Panaracer 417 spur gear spacer (#PRS-SPC).

Thanks in advance.
These are the correct spur gears. 116 is probably a bit large for this car, normally for modified we run 111 or 113 just like what comes in the kit.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What's the idea with the Panaracer spacer? Is it because the Xenon gears are very thin? I've used a RR with no spacer and an Xray gear with the kit spacer with no probs.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

where were all the trf team guys at the snowbirds? i cant find anyone in the results
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
What's the idea with the Panaracer spacer? Is it because the Xenon gears are very thin? I've used a RR with no spacer and an Xray gear with the kit spacer with no probs.
Panaracer is the same as xenon but harder

Originally Posted by theagentorange
where were all the trf team guys at the snowbirds? i cant find anyone in the results
They're at TITC with every other factory team except XRAY
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigM
They're at TITC with every other factory team except XRAY
Makes a lot more sense. But isnt TITC like 3 weeks away?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Panaracer is the same as xenon but harder
Is it different than the Tamiya kit one? Why not use the kit one?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Is it different than the Tamiya kit one? Why not use the kit one?
Depends on your definition of different they are harder and available in more sizes, and white looks cool
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Depends on your definition of different they are harder and available in more sizes, and white looks cool
That sounds like you're talking about the actual spur gears Craig I was just referring to the actual spacer only. Are the Xenon gears thinner (or thicker) so the standard kit blue sacer can't be used, and ou must usethe Panaracer one?

To date, I've used Robinson Racing gears and Xray gears, and just used the kit blue aluminium spacer.

But yes, white gears do look cool
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the info on the spur gears.
I was looking at the xenon panaracer spurs because I was reading the kentech blog and they were his choice.
I wasn't sure what size spurs came in the TRF417v5 kit? so I was just going to order a selection of panaracer. But as craigM has said there should be 1x 111t & 1x 113T.]
Kentech in his build blog mentions the kit comes with 1x 48pitch and 1x 62pitch but doesnt say what sizes they are.

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
Can you recommend a place in the states to order a 417v5 online? I usally go to SpeedtechRC for my Tamiya stuff. Is there anywhere better? I'm going to be running 17.5 blinky tc on carpet. Should I grab the smokem chassis? Does it fit the v5? Just starting a new build here soon. Appreciate any help you could give!
i am not sure about in the US but I am about to get 1x from proshop futaba in japan for 47880yen + shipping.[$515us + shpping]. I have had a really good experience with them so far, the answer my emails really promptly and concisely. I tryed RC champ but for me they werent really getting back to me regularly. I guess I could have got a kit at the LHS but I am ordering a kyosho RB6 as well and it is massively cheaper from there + parts for both kits which are consistantly 50% cheaper from there than here in Aust.
Cheers.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Hmm my 417 kits have never come with 48 pitch, just the 111 and 113 64dp

That sounds like you're talking about the actual spur gears Craig I was just referring to the actual spacer only. Are the Xenon gears thinner (or thicker) so the standard kit blue sacer can't be used, and ou must usethe Panaracer one?
ok I'm with you now, the panaracer spacer is larger so I assume the gear is thinner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.