Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dumb question - how are you guys achieving such a low FDR ? I'm running 21.5 boosted class, and the biggest pinion I can physically fit with the 80 tooth spur is a 30 tooth (5.33 FDR).

What brands of spur gear are you guys using ? I assumed the AE TC6-style spurs were the only type of spurs that fit, because of the hole in the spur needed to access the motor mount screw.

What am I missing ? Will "regular" Robinson / Kimbrough-style spur gears fit, and still allow access to the motor mount screws ?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use 64 pitch spur and pinion and use the 3rd motor mount screw hole.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am currently using RW spurs and pinions in my 6.1,
for 21.5 non boosted a 66-68 spur and 40-42 pinion depending on track,

Beth.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Stick with the caster blocks you have. The TC5/6 blocks are stronger, and are in stock everywhere if replacements are needed. Some of the 6.1 parts have had breakage issues and spares have often been hard to come by.

A gear diff in the rear would be a nice first addition (and some of the Reflex soft shock bladders) but it will be absolutely fine as-is. Get a good setup on it and go from there.

okay thanks, its actually coming with a rear gear diff and front spool. It'll be probably 2 weeks till I get there with my car, maybe 3 because ill be waiting on stuff, but i might make it saturday to test my dads that he just got if i get out of clinicals early enough
Old 04-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

http://www.exotekracing.com/prototype-tc6-project/
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Use 64 pitch spur and pinion and use the 3rd motor mount screw hole.
Thanks

I managed to round the head of the 2.5x8mm button head screw and had to remove it but cutting a flat head groove with my Dremel.

Is there any reason why the spur gear button head screws (ASC31521) are out of stock everywhere ? Tower Hobbies shows it as discontinued
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Losiho
Thanks

I managed to round the head of the 2.5x8mm button head screw and had to remove it but cutting a flat head groove with my Dremel.

Is there any reason why the spur gear button head screws (ASC31521) are out of stock everywhere ? Tower Hobbies shows it as discontinued
You can use thundertiger part# PD9007 this is the same screw or PD9006 this is the same size but is a cap head style with a 2mm hex drive (i prefer this one)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Grassy
You can use thundertiger part# PD9007 this is the same screw or PD9006 this is the same size but is a cap head style with a 2mm hex drive (i prefer this one)

Thanks. I've managed to source some Top Racing screws, which are identical to the OEM Associated screws -

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=10221
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just picked up a TC6. The guy I bought it from had it mostly built. I am going through setting it up now. The problem I am running into is that I cant get the turnbuckles short enough on the rear. This is my first Associated ever, and it has been 10 years since I messed with a touring car for that matter.

Anyways, I took of the turnbuckle to see if the wrong ones were put on the back but comparing them to the other ones on the car. After I adjusted them as far in as I could, they are definately shorter than the other ones on the car. I am guessing that the way the sit, they are at about 3-5 degrees of Positive Camber. Turnbuckle is mounted in hole #1, so I dont have that adjustment to play with. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockin G
I just picked up a TC6. The guy I bought it from had it mostly built. I am going through setting it up now. The problem I am running into is that I cant get the turnbuckles short enough on the rear. This is my first Associated ever, and it has been 10 years since I messed with a touring car for that matter.

Anyways, I took of the turnbuckle to see if the wrong ones were put on the back but comparing them to the other ones on the car. After I adjusted them as far in as I could, they are definately shorter than the other ones on the car. I am guessing that the way the sit, they are at about 3-5 degrees of Positive Camber. Turnbuckle is mounted in hole #1, so I dont have that adjustment to play with. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
According to the manual the rear turnbuckles go in #7 which is on the bulkhead. Thats the factory setting anyway and I think you need shorter trunbuckles to use the other holes 1-6. If you dont have a manual you can download one from AE's site. It shows the length of each link and you can compare what you have to that. hope that helps, I'm kinda new at the TC6 myself.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Is it possible that the previous owner, or you, accidentally mixed up the turnbuckles and put the front ones in the rear and the rear ones in the front? I have seen this happen before and it causes this type of problem.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RussF
According to the manual the rear turnbuckles go in #7 which is on the bulkhead. Thats the factory setting anyway and I think you need shorter trunbuckles to use the other holes 1-6. If you dont have a manual you can download one from AE's site. It shows the length of each link and you can compare what you have to that. hope that helps, I'm kinda new at the TC6 myself.
This is correct. The turnbuckles provided in the TC6 kit are designed to be used
with the #7 setting.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Deleted, accidental double post

Last edited by Rockin G; 04-19-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Got too creative on multi-quoting
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RussF
So then I guess I need shorter turnbuckles, or atleast rod ends to run the other holes. When I look at the set up sheets from the other drivers, they use the other holes. I guess that is why I was trying to get to hole # 1

Originally Posted by rc_speed
Is it possible that the previous owner, or you, accidentally mixed up the turnbuckles and put the front ones in the rear and the rear ones in the front? I have seen this happen before and it causes this type of problem.
It is possible, but I compared them, and the ones on front were longer compared to the ones I took off the rear...which would give me more. I was too tired to think anymore on it, and now I am at work and the car isnt here for me to look at. I will work some more on it tonight. Looks like I may need hole # 7 in the meantime.

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This is correct. The turnbuckles provided in the TC6 kit are designed to be used
with the #7 setting.
Thanks Rick. Please excuse my ignorance. Been too long, and so much has changed. So am I looking for shorter turnbuckles or rod ends when I head to the hobby shop? Thanks fellas
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rockin G
Thanks Rick. Please excuse my ignorance. Been too long, and so much has changed. So am I looking for shorter turnbuckles or rod ends when I head to the hobby shop? Thanks fellas
Stick with the standard rod ends but use a shorter turnbuckle. In some cases you will run the #7 hole in the front. Generally the other holes are used in the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.