R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #6631
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradaiel View Post
What's the go-to base setup for this car?

I got a secondhand one and found some stuff that needs attention.

I'm running the factory kit setup on my TC6, with just the following changes -

3 degrees rear toe
5.5mm ride height front & rear
battery position - rear
droop - 6 front, 5 rear

I race on medium grip untreated ashphalt. Car was working great at my last meet. Really great turn in and stable rear end.
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #6632
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Weight

I just weighed my 6.1 today. It's 1421g. If I want to get it down to 1380, what is the best method? The aluminum screws?
R Doyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #6633
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doyel View Post
I just weighed my 6.1 today. It's 1421g. If I want to get it down to 1380, what is the best method? The aluminum screws?
Are you using a lightweight body? My car w/ a lightweight body weighs in at 1380 w/ no additional weight or weight savings

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #6634
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Are you using a lightweight body? My car w/ a lightweight body weighs in at 1380 w/ no additional weight or weight savings
Car is box stock. Added motor fan/mount. Lightweight ltc-r
R Doyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #6635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I need some setup help. We ran at home of the 2012 On-road Elec Nats today and it seems that a number of TC6 cars had a problems with handling today. Running 17.5 Blinky, Weather was 52 high, track temp was 80 and high winds.

Issue: The front end was pushing... a lot (Running 100%) steering which I have NEVER had to run this high. When pulling on the throttle the rear would try to pass the front end. You had to very carefully pull the throttle. Any full speed 90 turns, the rear end would step out. Rear Wing mounted forward. LTC Body...

Started with attached setup. But changed to green springs rear, in 1 hole on the both ends on the shocks (top). Changed out from gear diffs back to stock, this did help but not much. I will say when applying some Traction compound this help for the 2 warm up laps then back to above.

It seemed a number of TC6 cars had this same problem...

Any suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6 Thread-tc6_hohwart_roarnatsstock_2.jpg  
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #6636
Tech Regular

id try more droop

i run 2mm of droop front and rear on mine

ed
Edwin Pibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #6637
Suspended
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Got a chance to take the car out for the first time over the weekend. I run modified at NorCal Hobbies, and unfortunately have to race against local drivers who are really fast... Tyler Vik, EJ Evans, Eric Albano, Kevin Jelich, Jesse Stark, Ethan Erchinger, Jeff Hastings, Leo Zhao; all sponsored drivers that I have to contend with on the regular. Needless to say, a regular club race can be very competitive and sometimes just one bobble or blown line can sometimes be the difference between qualifying in the top 5 or not even making the A-main at all. Mod TC is alive and kicking here in NorCal, and I'm sure that being the host of the Reedy every year has something to do with it.

Having said that, I wasn't expecting too much from our first outing, I still had to shake down the car during morning practice. I ran the original TC6 all last outdoor season, so i was familiar with the car somewhat, but anxious to see how the new changes affected the handling. I threw Rick Howhart's set-up on the car from the last Reedy Race, hoping it would work well right off the bat. It did. The car felt very stable, and easy to drive... was able to comfortably qualify into the main, and then even finished 4th after taking advantage or a couple of the front runners' misfortune. I was still about 1/2 a second off of the winner's fast lap time (Tyler Vik... HotBodies), so I know there is time to be found somewhere.

The car did feel like it could use more steering...particularly during the first half of the corner (entry to mid).
After the mains I made a couple changes during practice, such as taking off the front sway bar and lowering the overall droop values both front and rear... but honestly I couldn't feel anything. Still felt kinda dumpy on entry to apex, particularly on the sharper radius corners, so I reverted back to the standard Howhart setup since I felt the changes didn't merit any improvement.

Open to suggestions on what to try next... tired of always just missing the A-main every year at the Reedy, so I'm getting a jump start on my car setup for once. This year will hopefully be different!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's suggestions!

P.S. WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYONE MEASURING THE FRONT DROOP MEASUREMENT FROM?!?!? The angles on the arm are RIDICULOUS. Not a fan.

Last edited by StickyFingaz; 04-23-2012 at 01:50 AM.
StickyFingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #6638
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal View Post
id try more droop

i run 2mm of droop front and rear on mine

ed
Thanks, when you say increase.... do you mean increase the number? Or lower the droop number?

Oh... I also removed the sway bars (both ends and this make progress about 40%...)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #6639
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
I will say when applying some Traction compound this help for the 2 warm up laps then back to above.
What were you using? We went through a few last year (at Leisure) that ranged from bad to worse until we tried and stuck with the LG2.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #6640
Tech Regular

Id try a Speed 6 body or at least move your wing in the back position. The LTCR body tends to have less rear grip..but usually has more steering.

Try your rear shock position in the 2 position (lay it down a little more)

Try black/black or black/no anti roll bar
wcalaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #6641
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyFingaz View Post
P.S. WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYONE MEASURING THE FRONT DROOP MEASUREMENT FROM?!?!? The angles on the arm are RIDICULOUS. Not a fan.
Agreed, I use the holder outer edge, not the C hub. Not sure what others do... I think the key is to pick a point and use the same point each time....
Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #6642
Suspended
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
Agreed, I use the holder outer edge, not the C hub. Not sure what others do... I think the key is to pick a point and use the same point each time....
Agreed, but we should all be on the same page so when a guy like Hebert or Howhart says they're at 6.5 on the front, I know i'm measuring the same way they do.
StickyFingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #6643
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalaker View Post
Id try a Speed 6 body or at least move your wing in the back position. The LTCR body tends to have less rear grip..but usually has more steering.

Try your rear shock position in the 2 position (lay it down a little more)

Try black/black or black/no anti roll bar
I layed them all the way in, and it did not make a dent. The problem with the Speed I need more grip all the way around... I even tried flipping the top deck, no effect. Going to green springs in the rear helped, but hurt the front, but I could live with it.

It so far off, I need swing for the bleachers... And I was not the only one....
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #6644
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyFingaz View Post
Agreed, but we should all be on the same page so when a guy like Hebert or Howhart says they're at 6.5 on the front, I know i'm measuring the same way they do.
Oh I agree. My feelings are the C hub can change, thus it should not be used... Thus the outer most point on the arm is what I use....
Old 04-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #6645
Tech Elite

StickyFingaz - Take a look at the Roll Center, you may want to raise it in the front, to increase the roll giving it a more turn in. If the front has grip, just feels "lazy" then you may want to go up in your Spring rate in the front, to increase the response in the front.