Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tick: I hate to ruin your theory, because you seem happy to understand what might be going on. But I run blue springs up front and grey in rear and my car still sits at 4mm ride height. I don't think its the springs that are making your car sit high. It has to be something else. Are you sure you have the right shock tower in the back?

I partially copied one of the set ups too, but my car doesn't get anywhere near 6-6.5mm ride height. Maybe because I built my shocks so short(64mm), thats why my car is able to sit so low. But then if that were it, why would my springs not even be under tension until I sat the car down.

Maybe our springs are a different length or something.

Last edited by Darkseid; 04-19-2002 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tick: What springs are you running? The springs are not always the same length, check the rear springs with the front and see if they are about the same length or if one set is longer. I think that you will find the problem is with the springs, but if you are winning with the car the way it is, do you want to change it? Hope that helps...
Old 04-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think it might be that his springs might be too long. I got some springs that were too long as well. They look like the springs for the old 98 or the Rally car with the long plastic shocks.

I do remember someone told me that the soft springs are long becasue of the rate and because they are used in England in the Rain and the cars need higher ride hight to race in the wet.

I would check to make sure that you have the correct tower on the right end of the car and check the over all length of the shocks. I think when I used the ball grippas the would thread almost all the way on to the shock shaft but still have a thread or two showing.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Damn, you guys are awesome. I never thought I would get this much help on this board.

Anyways, yes I'm using the right shock tower with the notched one in the rear. I'm also using schuie springs.

After tinkering with this thing all morning. I've come to the conclusion that my springs must be long. Anything softer than red fits pretty snug with no play. I could fix that by unscrewing the ball cups a little, but that would'nt effect ride height.

I figured if the setup sheet in the manual got 6-6.5mm ride height with the softer longer springs and I got the same, then that's just the way it is.

I added some spacers on top of the diff cases to drop the rear to 5mm with blue springs. The fronts are at 4.5mm with the red springs. I'm happy now, but don't know how it will handle.

RacerX: It did handle great last night, but I had it setup really weird to lower the ride height. It was like 3.5 in the rear with outer hole on arm with 1mm spacers to keep it from dragging on the ground. I guess I just want to see if I could make it better.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Regional Moderator

That seems to be the only thing that it can be. The springs have to be longer than the average Schumacher spring.

But, if the car is working for you........why mess with success!
Old 04-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Default SOLD!

I just returned home from Scottsdale RC Raceway where I met with AZ Ron, very nice guy. I looked to check the status on my Mugen for sale on Ebay. SOLD!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EOA:US:2

I can buy parts for my new Mission now! I am so exited
Old 04-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yep, Damon and I met last night...it'll be great to have another Schuie guy at the track. I finally got my A2 to handle how I want it...LOTS of steering, and just a tiny touch of being loose in the rear, but I think that's because my driving style is the "Throw it around" kind!! My driving has significantly improved from a month ago...still aways to go....need to work on being smooth and consistent...same as always, but at least now I'm not hitting everything...a Brainfart last night kept me from winning the Main, but there were only two of us in Stock, and 3 novice guys they ran with us...I had a good 5-10 second lead, stuffed myself into the pipe and sat there for about 15-20 seconds while people tried to figure out if the guy standing ON the track in the corner was actually a corner marshall...turns out he wasn't...By the time I got going, and got my head back on straight after being MAJORLY pissed, there was only a minute to go, and I couldn't catch the leader...oh well...still my best night yet...REALLY liking how the Axis2 is working...

So what IS the consensus on the Mission on a low to medium bite Asphalt track?? I would think it's adjustable enough to get it to work anywhere...but there is a racer or two that doesn't think it'll work...I'd like to prove him wrong (Sorry Chris!)

L8R

Ron
Old 04-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well on a low to medium bite asphalt track the car works very well, I should know last week my best lap was only .2 seconds behind the TQ's best lap.... and that was with 2 bent pivot balls in the front!!!! not bad for the 3rd racenight with the car and only the 6th race night ever at that track, and I am by no means an excellent driver actually I made so many stupid mistakes that I ended up 4 laps off the leaders pace and stuck in the B....
Old 04-20-2002, 05:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Well mine worked pretty well on the totally unprepared Sears parking lot I was practicing on. So, I can't imagine that someone couldn't get it to work on an actual track that is low to medium bite.

Bottom line is, if you don't have the tires to deal with that low bite track, no car will work. So if you have the right tires, then you can worry about the car.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I race on medium grip asphalt in Australia here and the car is awesome. We have found 3 hole pistons to be excellent with 50-60wt oil. Also 2 hole with say 40wt. Gives the car some roll but with swaybars it is limited. the car feels very very responsive, yet stable and is very hard to be upset over say corner dots. the 3 hole piston gives immediate absorbing pact andf makes the car fast but easy to drive. i know lots of drivers in the UK follow the same theory. I can throw up my setup if u want.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Ron- always remember that there are gonna be "benchtop racers" that are gonna critisize anything that doesn't come from Associated, or Losi, or whatever company they happen to own products from.....

Well I put my Mission back on the set-up board today and after rebuilding the suspension with tha aluminum steering blocks and I couldn't get the car back down to 5mm, I also tried everything, and no dice, so I finally decided on triing other springs, and the Losi'd work fine. They are about 4mm shorter and seem to be half way between the the Schuie springs. Meaning the Losi blues are in between the Schuie blues and greys.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

OASIS- please post your set-up, along with any side notes that you have that would be helpful. Especially ambient temperature and if the sun is directly on the track or if it is shaded. Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

IMPACTPLAYR,
I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one with the ride height problem. How much gap is there with the losi springs in the shock? I don't like to run my shocks with alot of play in the springs. Makes the car roll to much for my taste.

I used 1mm spacers between the diff case and shock tower to lower the CG of the car. Worked great, but don't know how it will handle. I'll keep you guys posted when I race a week from now.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

The Tick, your problem was a common one when the mission first came out. obviously you've figured by now that either your batch of springs missed quality control, or it's a combination of settings and tyres etc.
Good solutions, in no particular order:
*buy threaded shock bodies, these can give you more room for the spring
*use springs from a different company
*cut 3-4mm off the ball end so that the spring collar may sit lower
*use different shocks on the car

I hope you've got your probs fixed. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Actually the problem is all in the tires, I first ran Jaco foams (fresh from the package) and I could get the low ride height I want, but I recently switched to CRC foams which are 3-4mm taller, and don't even wear as quickly. I do have the Threaded shocks and at the very lowest (collars unthreaded so far they hit the shock mount) the car was setting at 7mm in the front, but the rear would go to 5mm....go figure, and the car is built properly.

Cutting down the ball cups is a good idea, but I like the option of using the Losi springs with their "in between" rate too.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.