Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sorry guys but a serious question here lol

paul,

i have the problem with my car that it will not react like it should, as in change direction quickly and dart around the track. it has plenty of grip, once it is in a corner it is great, plenty of steering and rear grip, but the initial steering is lacking badly. i have tried all sorts of things, like shock oils, sway bars springs etc, and the only thing that i can do to get the steering back is to push the ackermann forwards, but then the car will spin too easily on power. but i then change other things to fix this, and then i have the same problem i did to start with.

what would you do to make your car react faster?

thanks

ben
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cribbin

paul,

i have the problem with my car that it will not react like it should, as in change direction quickly and dart around the track. it has plenty of grip, once it is in a corner it is great, plenty of steering and rear grip, but the initial steering is lacking badly. i have tried all sorts of things, like shock oils, sway bars springs etc, and the only thing that i can do to get the steering back is to push the ackermann forwards, but then the car will spin too easily on power. but i then change other things to fix this, and then i have the same problem i did to start with.

thanks

ben
lol, turn in sooner lol.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 AM
Tech Regular

paul,

thanks

ben
This is what you can do

you can begin with to have 100% steering on your transmitter.

You can change the caster to less caster for a little more responsive steering.

try stiffer springs. you can also increase your camber in front. but only a small amount.
do you have toe out in front?
softer shock oil can make the car feel more responsive.

hope some maybe helped? sorry paul, but i know your busy
Old 01-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stogie
Hey Paul... say you're planning on pulling a friend through the icy Wauwatosa neighborhood streets behind your car on a snow sledding disk. What gauge rope would you recommend, assuming you weren't planning on exceeding, say, 35mph?

Also, would you recommend wearing a helmet for such an activity??
If you want to do it right, use a set of jumper cables instead of a rope. Also, helmets are for sissies.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimV
If you want to do it right, use a set of jumper cables instead of a rope. Also, helmets are for sissies.
haha tim
Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Gravity RC

paul,

thanks

ben
stiffer springs or more front toe out sounds good too me also, i would hate to change too much since you said that the steering snd grip is good.

Originally Posted by Andy63
This is what you can do

you can begin with to have 100% steering on your transmitter.

You can change the caster to less caster for a little more responsive steering.

try stiffer springs. you can also increase your camber in front. but only a small amount.
do you have toe out in front?
softer shock oil can make the car feel more responsive.

hope some maybe helped? sorry paul, but i know your busy
Thnaks!.

Originally Posted by TimV
jumpers sound good to me. and yes i am a sissy, LOL
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default XII Link

Hey Paul,
did you use your Hudy Tweak on you XII Link? How do you tweak it when using the setup system?
How did you find the car handling in general. Any building advice? Can you post you setup? I am getting the car close to the N.Z nationals and wont have much time to work on it. I un on asphalt low grip without tire additive..

Thanks for your help.
Didier
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by ds400
Hey Paul,
did you use your Hudy Tweak on you XII Link? How do you tweak it when using the setup system?
How did you find the car handling in general. Any building advice? Can you post you setup? I am getting the car close to the N.Z nationals and wont have much time to work on it. I un on asphalt low grip without tire additive..

Thanks for your help.
Didier
Hi. i dont have a hudy tweak station but if i did i would be using it, the bubble one seems the most accurate to me. I think that the car is good, but i know nothing about asphalt/12th scale, i have maybe raced it 4times in my life. I do have a set up on the xray site, i think its called "testing", but that is for high bite carpet. sorry i couldnt be more help, maybe their is a set up on the site that would better suit your conditions.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Balancing with chassis weights

-Hello Paul

I had a quick question do you use Chassis weights to balance your Nitro car as you do your electric car If not why?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by trickd122
-Hello Paul

I had a quick question do you use Chassis weights to balance your Nitro car as you do your electric car If not why?
Yea i do, but i can't get it perfect, i run 20 or so grams on the pipe side if the gas tank. but its always a little heavy on the electronics side.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Paul.
I ran your recent Trackside setup at our local track today and all I can say is Shamwow.
The car never gets out of shape anywhere.
Very easy to drive the car fast and tight!
It seems to be getting easier to drive as traction comes up as it is a new layout.
If I am running a 009 how many shims if any are needed under the rear link over the hub?
The t3 has a higher shock tower position and I am not sure how it translates to the 009

Thanks again.
Dave.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default XRAY T 2 07

Paul,

I have a T 2 07 how can i use a lipo on that car? It hits the top plate and the rear bracket any suggestions.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe hose
Paul,

I have a T 2 07 how can i use a lipo on that car? It hits the top plate and the rear bracket any suggestions.
If I may Paul.

You will need to mill the offending piece of aluminum out of the way.
You will need to use longer screws on the top deck and mount the top deck with the thinnest washers you can get away with.
The next issue is the bellcrank or steering arm.
Raising the deck produces play.
You will need to fit washers in between the bearings it mounts to and the bellcrank itself on the top and bottom of the bellcrank.

I run my 007 in 17.5 with great results

Dave.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by joe hose
Paul,

i guess you have 6 cell chassies? Then just move the lipo to the right so halft of lipo is outside the chassie. Then you just hook it there. Its not neccesary to move the upper deck anywhere. the lipo fits fine on the 6 cell chassies. just move it more out on the right.

something like this:

http://img223.imageshack.us/i/16072009565.jpg/

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

For Mod 12th scale with 1cell lipo what wind motor and rollout do you run??

Thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.