Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Tron
Hi Paul, do you have a FDR recommendation for a 17.5 TP z3r with the blue rotor? Zero timing class with a LRP SXX Stockspec v2. How about the stock red rotor? Timing setting on the can? It came at 20 degrees...

I will be running at west coast rc raceway.

Thank you in advance.

Brett
Hi Brett. i would start at a 4.2, it will be conservative. I would start at 20deg (also conservative). shoot for around 175 for temp. 190-200 deg is pushing it. i could see a 4.0 overall with 30 or more deg timing working really well on that track but i would ease in to it for sure.

The stock red magnet works well all around, for TC i could see using a stronger rotor. the strong rotors will have more bottom end so a lower fdr will be needed to get back the top end.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
I'm pretty sure EA has run that setup. He might be better qualified to answer that one...

I don't think Paul runs much 17.5 blinky class...lol
I have tested a decent amount, but EAs input would be good also
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tron
Hi Paul, do you have a FDR recommendation for a 17.5 TP z3r with the blue rotor? Zero timing class with a LRP SXX Stockspec v2. How about the stock red rotor? Timing setting on the can? It came at 20 degrees...

I will be running at west coast rc raceway.

Thank you in advance.

Brett
I ran with the stock rotor when I tested the TP motor. I ran anywhere from 10-45 degrees on the motor in the Blinky class. What I found best was about 30 degrees of timing and about 1 tooth less than you normally run with a duo based motor on your track. Generally I run around a 4.0 on a D3 at our track and was running around a 4.15 with the TP motor. Going up much past 30 on the timing usually resulted in a faster 1-2 laps but fell off much harder and got hot. It generates a lot more RPM but you'll loose torque.

EA
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I ran with the stock rotor when I tested the TP motor. I ran anywhere from 10-45 degrees on the motor in the Blinky class. What I found best was about 30 degrees of timing and about 1 tooth less than you normally run with a duo based motor on your track. Generally I run around a 4.0 on a D3 at our track and was running around a 4.15 with the TP motor. Going up much past 30 on the timing usually resulted in a faster 1-2 laps but fell off much harder and got hot. It generates a lot more RPM but you'll loose torque.

EA
What did you feel was the better motor in your opinion .. for say tight/technical vs. larger open tracks in TC?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

-just subscribing, thinking about getting an Xray!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Paul, what gear diff oil would you recommend for mod tc on carpet? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini-Mod
Since I know Paulie is probably sleeping, I'm sure he will say 2K.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
What is this "ask Fred Hubbard"? :-)
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream
What did you feel was the better motor in your opinion .. for say tight/technical vs. larger open tracks in TC?

The TP motor was competitive and but I found the Duo 3 still faster over a 6 minute run. Granted I only spent one weekend with it versus a whole carpet season with the Duo 3 but theres only so much you can change. In the open speedo class the TP motors are fast. They won the snowbirds in TC Super stock and a lot of guys are finding they are fast in 12th scale too!

EA
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Paul, How do you determine which turn of motor to use, most of your carpet setup was 4.0 I think, do you care more about the infield than the straight speed...any suggestion?

thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Paul, what changes would you make to the t3 11 in generally if you was running on a VEry very high traction tarmac track?

Thanks

Ricky
Old 03-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Hi Paul,
Could you tell me what setup changes you would make on an xray tc that handles good on medium traction, so it can be good on a high traction carpet track.
The reason I'm asking is because in the xxx main book and others it gives scenarios for smooth or bumpy tracks, not low and high traction tracks.any input would be helpful. Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Paul I am new to this forum but we have spoken by email

Could you tell me if an overhaul is necessary to correct the tire wear is flat.

believe that balancing the wheels may improve lap times
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by outlandr91
-just subscribing, thinking about getting an Xray!
Welcome!

If you have any questions let me know. I am pretty good at answering all questions, when i travel i dont get on here much but i always catch up when i get home.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mini-Mod
I normally like 2,000

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
LOL, You know me well Fred.

Originally Posted by ddd2k
Hi Paul, How do you determine which turn of motor to use, most of your carpet setup was 4.0 I think, do you care more about the infield than the straight speed...any suggestion?

thanks

Hi. the most important thing for me is the feel of the motor. I run a Thunderpower 4.0, it is always super fast and has good feel to me.
with a 4.0 you will have to be very smooth with the trigger and hardly ever go full throttle. but the answer to your question is definately infield.

Thanks

Originally Posted by prodriver
Hi Paul, what changes would you make to the t3 11 in generally if you was running on a VEry very high traction tarmac track?

Thanks

Ricky
Hi Ricky. Thats a really hard question. I always start with a set up at a race and tune it from their. On high grip asphalt the cars have the tendency to push and subsiquently over heat the front tires and make the push even worse. so basicly i would expect to try and do things to gain steering and then drive very smooth. so maybe something like narrower front hexs, more front camber, shorter rear wheelbase are some things that would help the cars turn under high bite asphalt.

No problem!

Originally Posted by gonzo416
Hi Paul,
Could you tell me what setup changes you would make on an xray tc that handles good on medium traction, so it can be good on a high traction carpet track.
The reason I'm asking is because in the xxx main book and others it gives scenarios for smooth or bumpy tracks, not low and high traction tracks.any input would be helpful. Thanks
On carpet the cars also seem to push more when bite gets high, the main change that i do when bite comes up is simply camber. low to med bite i will run something like 2.5deg rear and 1.5 front, for high bite i always seem to end up running more like 2.5 all around or sometimes even more front camber than rear. other than that i will lay the rear shocks all the way down to get the car to roll more over the rear and free the car up.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by asier
Hi Paul I am new to this forum but we have spoken by email

Could you tell me if an overhaul is necessary to correct the tire wear is flat.

believe that balancing the wheels may improve lap times
Hi, thanks for reading.
I rarely tune the camber and camber gain for tire wear. some tires wear different than others, but it seems like a good set up normally works well with all tires.

I dont normally ballance my tires, if a tire is way off i would consitter doing it for sure. when i ballance a tire that is close in the first place then run it, many times it will be just as far off as it was in the first place from the insert shifting and things. so if its pretty close i leave them alone, but its not a bad thing to check them.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Default Gear Diff Oil

Hi Paul,

What are the different between shock oil 2000 and gear oil 2000? Are they the same? Pls advise.

Thx..
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Afazli79
Hi Paul,

What are the different between shock oil 2000 and gear oil 2000? Are they the same? Pls advise.

Thx..
It should be the same, any 2,000 should be rated in cst. i use Xray 2,000.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.