Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Does anybody have any suggestions on what is the most convienent, smallest and practical computer to have pitside for the Novalink and other systems? Looked at netbooks/notebooks but they do not have cd drives. In the market for a computer but want to make the right decision the first time. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is the Havoc Pro basically the same thing as the Kinetic but with less FETs?

Kind of like the Tekin RS to RS Pro.

So the Kinetic would be more for mod motors and the Havoc Pro would work fine for 10.5 and higher wind motors?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo

So the Kinetic would be more for mod motors and the Havoc Pro would work fine for 10.5 and higher wind motors?
Not really, if you're referring to the Havoc Pro SC then it's just the PC programmability, but if you're referring to the regular Havoc Pro then there's more of a difference. Either way, they'll all do down to a 3.5.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Company Representative

Our GTB, Havoc Pro, Havoc Pro SC and Kinetics all have a 3.5T motor limit and 0.00040ohms on resistance. We consider these racing controllers.

Our Havoc 2S esc and systems are rated to 8.5T and above. The Havoc Pro is related to our GTB with some additional programming options.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Havoc Pro is basically a GTB, the Havock Pro SC is basically a Kinetic without the capability of being programed via the Novalink.

Tim Ski
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doug Gaut
Does anybody have any suggestions on what is the most convienent, smallest and practical computer to have pitside for the Novalink and other systems? Looked at netbooks/notebooks but they do not have cd drives. In the market for a computer but want to make the right decision the first time. Thanks for any assistance.
If you want something quick and easy go for the netbook, most anything can be downloaded that you'd need on CD, and if not, a USB DVD drive can be had for $20 or less. As someone in the IT field I'm not huge on them because of the limited uses for them with the small screens and keyboards, but for something like adjusting a speedo at the track they're perfect. My personal choice would just be a 13-15" notebook. You can awesome deals on refurbished systems from big companies upgrading, here's a perfect example, for $300 it'll beat almost any netbook and has a DVD burner and 2GB to boot.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doug Gaut
I use a Acer 10.1 note book for just about everything......come to think of it I can't remember the last time I logged onto my desktop.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 10-27-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Our racing Kinetic 1S was designed and harnessed for use with an external rx pack (all of our escs work fine on low voltage). This (ext rx pack) is considered the best option for serious single cell racing. External (or internal) booster circuitry necessary to power the other electronics that do not operate on low voltage---high-power servos and receivers---are often not adequate. That's why we support the external rx pack.
Sorry, but the exact MOMENT that a receiver pack becomes necessary we've thrown out EVERY ounce of convenience that going to LiPos offered us. In fact we've regressed. Now I have TWO batteries to keep track of for my car.

No thanks. The day I have to run a receiver pack is the day I quit.

I'm certainly no electronics whiz (FAR from one, in fact) but it would seem to me that putting an on-board boosting circuitry in and making it so it's toggled on or off like the LiPo cutoff has been for a couple years would be not only possible but a desireable feature.

Like I said, I guess I should be delighted to just stay with what I've got. But I'd SO been looking forward to (and made sacrifice for) the Kinetic that I just can't get over the assumption that receiver packs is the way to go.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by VRacing
Only Problem is with ROAR's ever highly intelligent guidance, the necessity now to finish developing the Kinetic is non-existent. If they don't have to chase down Tekin, why even try? Why run the Dynamic System for a whole year, then roll back the clock? There are a lot of other companies that are in the game. Something's fishy here, Novak have some political pull even though they weren't able to compete on the track? Ahh the beauty of stagnation, great. Thanks Novak and ROAR. Think of all the cash that was wasted by all these other companies and a mass of racers purchasing products for "Dynamic" Racing. Glad the dues paying members come into consideration. Lets remodel every class with a mind toward the beginner that may show up. Make sure and go much slower so we don't offend anyone. This is no-child-left-behind meets RC racing. Fun Stuff.
Sorry Aaron, I don't understand wtf half of this is...and I don't think I agree with the other half
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Sorry, but the exact MOMENT that a receiver pack becomes necessary we've thrown out EVERY ounce of convenience that going to LiPos offered us. In fact we've regressed. Now I have TWO batteries to keep track of for my car.

I'm certainly no electronics whiz (FAR from one, in fact) but it would seem to me that putting an on-board boosting circuitry in and making it so it's toggled on or off like the LiPo cutoff has been for a couple years would be not only possible but a desireable feature.

Like I said, I guess I should be delighted to just stay with what I've got. But I'd SO been looking forward to (and made sacrifice for) the Kinetic that I just can't get over the assumption that receiver packs is the way to go.
An internal Kinetic 1S booster circuit would require a larger esc case. Installing our SmartBoost circuitry into our Havoc 1S was possible because there was space inside the case for it. Booster circuits are not equivalent to the performance of the external rx pack. At the end of a run/charge when the single cell has very low voltage left, a booster (especially with a spectrum RX) cannot provide enough voltage and you can experience intermittent power loss; start/stop.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This is what I do, when I'm finished with a run, it requires recharging the main battery, so after I get done plugging in the charger for that pack, I plug in the charger for the rcvr pack, its not really that much work, trust me, it can be done is less then 15 seconds with practice. it keeps me for having to keep a log book and all that extra work trying to "keep track".

oh btw, Brian Bodine uses a rcvr pack, and if its good enough for him, then.......
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 PM
am
Tech Master

An internal Kinetic 1S booster circuit would require a larger esc case. Installing our SmartBoost circuitry into our Havoc 1S was possible because there was space inside the case for it. Booster circuits are not equivalent to the performance of the external rx pack. At the end of a run/charge when the single cell has very low voltage left, a booster (especially with a spectrum RX) cannot provide enough voltage and you can experience intermittent power loss; start/stop.
I understand what you are saying but i was at a race were soem of the guys used the new LRP Sxx V2 with a booster curcuit built inn. None of them had any problems with interference but i was, and i ran 4.8V Nickel batteries without booster or booster curcuit. I could see the benefit of a reciver pack when for me, but with 14 people out of 22 with LRP speedo`s and noone having problems.

I was really wan`ting a Kinetic but i think sadly it will be LRP for me as that is the moast convinient.

Bob, i hope you will consider making this at a later stage, as i realy would like to hve something not many other guys here n Norway have.

Could you also please post the hight of the Kinetic?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

An internal Kinetic 1S booster circuit would require a larger esc case. Installing our SmartBoost circuitry into our Havoc 1S was possible because there was space inside the case for it.
Uh...it AIN'T like the Kinetic is actually small or anything...

Booster circuits are not equivalent to the performance of the external rx pack. At the end of a run/charge when the single cell has very low voltage left, a booster (especially with a spectrum RX) cannot provide enough voltage and you can experience intermittent power loss; start/stop.
Boy are all the people I know who are using boosters and Spektrum in their 1s cars going to be surprised with this bit of news. The booster we're using is making 5v clear down as far as we're drawing packs, and the Novak booster SHOULD be making 6. We're not having any "brown out" problems here. We're currently running Spec 17.5 in 1/12 and open 13.5 in WGT with no problem. I've run open 10.5 in WGT with no brown-out problems either. Maybe folks who are running LOW wind motors are loading their batteries out that hard, but we sure aren't.

Originally Posted by skypilot
This is what I do, when I'm finished with a run, it requires recharging the main battery, so after I get done plugging in the charger for that pack, I plug in the charger for the rcvr pack, its not really that much work, trust me, it can be done is less then 15 seconds with practice. it keeps me for having to keep a log book and all that extra work trying to "keep track".

oh btw, Brian Bodine uses a rcvr pack, and if its good enough for him, then.......
Sorry to disappoint Richie, but B. Bodine does a LOT of things (like win nationally significant races, etc) that I don't, or won't, do. I maintain...we went to LiPo, ostensibly, for CONVENIENCE. Having to mess with TWO chargers now to charge my car just doesn't seem overly convenient to me. Especially when there is an alternative that I know for fact doesn't penalize me in the slightest. Maybe if my last name was Blackstock, Baker or Bodine I would notice a performance difference. I'm just me, though, and I'd bet whatever you care to lose that my times would be the same whether using a booster or receiver pack.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Uh...it AIN'T like the Kinetic is actually small or anything...

Boy are all the people I know who are using boosters and Spektrum in their 1s cars going to be surprised with this bit of news. The booster we're using is making 5v clear down as far as we're drawing packs, and the Novak booster SHOULD be making 6. We're not having any "brown out" problems here. We're currently running Spec 17.5 in 1/12 and open 13.5 in WGT with no problem. I've run open 10.5 in WGT with no brown-out problems either. Maybe folks who are running LOW wind motors are loading their batteries out that hard, but we sure aren't.

Sorry to disappoint Richie, but B. Bodine does a LOT of things (like win nationally significant races, etc) that I don't, or won't, do. I maintain...we went to LiPo, ostensibly, for CONVENIENCE. Having to mess with TWO chargers now to charge my car just doesn't seem overly convenient to me. Especially when there is an alternative that I know for fact doesn't penalize me in the slightest. Maybe if my last name was Blackstock, Baker or Bodine I would notice a performance difference. I'm just me, though, and I'd bet whatever you care to lose that my times would be the same whether using a booster or receiver pack.
snivel if you must, but anyone that is actually doing "all that messsing and keeping track" is laughing thier asses off right now, maybe I should make a youtube video showing all the work involved. stay tuned.

I've seen you drive, ain't no way in hell I'm taking that bet
Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

snivel if you must, but anyone that is actually doing "all that messsing and keeping track" is laughing thier asses off right now, maybe I should make a youtube video showing all the work involved. stay tuned.
You choose not to see the point...the fact that there is ANY effort involved (to say nothing of a second charger) means the convenience factor has been taken back. I'm not saying I "can't", I'm saying "I won't". I've crank-started a car, arguably a "performance advantage" because you're not carrying that heavy ol' starter around. Does that mean we should go back to cranking becasue "it really isn't THAT much bother...except in the rain...and 20-below Montana mornings. After all, my Model T is AT LEAST a half a tenth faster per lap without carrying that damn starter. And that way ALL the voltage goes to the magneto for all that neck-snapping power".

I've seen you drive, ain't no way in hell I'm taking that bet
Like I said, I'm me...and drive like it. No delusions, no pretensions. Solid B-main performer most of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.