Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Charlie
Usually I don't try to start out with the Boost On.

Do some basic running first with higher timing usage, then use the boost if that all works decent.

Boost is "max" timing, not a good idea to start out on max of anything.
Charlie "You know why you smell like that".............
Old 05-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello Guys, I was just about to buy a Kinetic Spec/Ballistic combo (10.5) when I came across this thread. I've read every post since 2.1.11, which was the first mention of the new Spec speed control, and honestly, all of the brainboard and Novalink issues have put me on the fence.

So I ask, have the new Kinetic Specs had any of those problems to anyone's knowledge? I understand the Spec comes with the newer, smaller cap. Does it come with the newer brainboard, as well?

FWIW, whatever speed control I end up getting, I'll be running it in a FT SC10 at LSR, CapCity, Delta, and Norcal Hobbies. I know this is the on-road thread, but I searched and didn't find any off-road Kinetic threads that had any mention of the Spec edition.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeB2
Hello Guys, I was just about to buy a Kinetic Spec/Ballistic combo (10.5) when I came across this thread. I've read every post since 2.1.11, which was the first mention of the new Spec speed control, and honestly, all of the brainboard and Novalink issues have put me on the fence.

So I ask, have the new Kinetic Specs had any of those problems to anyone's knowledge? I understand the Spec comes with the newer, smaller cap. Does it come with the newer brainboard, as well?

FWIW, whatever speed control I end up getting, I'll be running it in a FT SC10 at LSR, CapCity, Delta, and Norcal Hobbies. I know this is the on-road thread, but I searched and didn't find any off-road Kinetic threads that had any mention of the Spec edition.

Thanks in advance!
BB updates have pretty much cleaned up all speed control issues. If the speed control has the small cap chances are pretty good that it has the most current brain board update. The update is at least 2 months old now, and even if you end up with a questionable brain board you can contact Charlie with your serial number and he can probably tell you if its current or not, and if not he will fix you up promptly.

I mostly run K2S but in spec mode, and its is a very competitive package, very smooth and very good brakes, with still a lot of adjustment to it as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
BB updates have pretty much cleaned up all speed control issues. If the speed control has the small cap chances are pretty good that it has the most current brain board update. The update is at least 2 months old now, and even if you end up with a questionable brain board you can contact Charlie with your serial number and he can probably tell you if its current or not, and if not he will fix you up promptly.

I mostly run K2S but in spec mode, and its is a very competitive package, very smooth and very good brakes, with still a lot of adjustment to it as well.
Thanks for the reply! From what I've read in this thread, Novak has a great bunch of guys doing some seriously excellent customer service. That definitely makes me feel better about picking up a Kinetic.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

i have the first version of kinetic 2s and planning to update it..
will i update it immediately to the latest version (1.4?) or need to do it step by step?
TIA
Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sadig
will i update it immediately to the latest version (1.4?) or need to do it step by step?
TIA
1.4x no step up required.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Tech Regular

Default Credit where credit is due...

..WELL DONE NOVAK!

There have been a few teething problems with the Kinetic and some not so small. However after receiving direct support from Charlie in the US and the rest of the Novak team including the great customer services and tech support teams I have now had 2 flawless race meetings and believe all the gremlins to be gone

The speed and drive-ability of the Kinetic was amazing. Motor temps and ESC temps never got above 60 degrees C and it was easily as quick down the straight as the top guys.

The settings that I ended up with for a GM 10.5 were

FDR 6.44
Timing 43 degrees
RPM 9000-18000
Drive Freq 11KHz
Current limit 3, disabled at 18000
Brake EPA 50

It felt like I could have geared up another pinion to FDR 6.27 and the temps would suggest this could be done as motor was 58c and the ESC was 60c.

Would this be pushing it though? The manual recommends no hotter than 60c.

I have taken motors up to 70c before with no problems but the ESC seemed to be getting hotter than the motor and I'm not sure it would like hotter than 60c.

Would it be better to gear up and perhaps drop the timing back to say 35 degrees?

I love that I can get back to working on chassis setups and fine tuning the ESC setup now. It's a joy to race again.

Last edited by dvaid852456; 05-16-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sadig
TIA
If you don't have a replacement brain board you should just leave it until you get a new one. Without the brain board you're asking for big trouble. Novak will send you one for free, so why not. It's better than multiple molten parts.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I should have bought an RC boat instead of a Kinetic, this rain is terrible!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so i heard this is the forum to figure out how to work my nova link. i cant seem to get the damn thing to connect. i even uploaded and deleted the software twice. i have the havok pro esc
Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 10sctrel0v3r
so i heard this is the forum to figure out how to work my nova link. i cant seem to get the damn thing to connect. i even uploaded and deleted the software twice. i have the havok pro esc
Will need some more info. Are you getting any indicators or messages? The most popular problem fix of the top of my head is make sure your security settings are allowing the program to download, and also make sure you have proper .rdd file in your Novalink program folder.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

The Havoc line of ESC's does not work with the NovaLink. Sorry.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

I'm also having issues trying to connect. I've been through this thread and tried to follow all the steps correctly but still am unable to connect through novalink. Mine is a Novak Kinetic ESC linked to a ballistic 17.5.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 AM
Tech Adept

Ok I've now sat at this computer going over and over the process trying to get this thing to connect. I need somone to show what I'm doing wrong. Reading all the steps of this site and the novak site is just not helping. I will be soooooo glad to see this device get connected. Is it just me, or is this one of the most complex ESC's to set up on the market?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brighty
Ok I've now sat at this computer going over and over the process trying to get this thing to connect. I need somone to show what I'm doing wrong. Reading all the steps of this site and the novak site is just not helping. I will be soooooo glad to see this device get connected. Is it just me, or is this one of the most complex ESC's to set up on the market?
Do you have the new brain board? Novak will send you one for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.