Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Charlie
Flash: No, the timing does not work when you use the counter rotation feature. Sorry.
oh my,... well that's too bad, i thought it is possible..
thank's Charlie.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Company Representative

Contact [email protected] for assistance.

Originally Posted by onefast8
Have a few questions maybe someone can help me out with.

On my Kinetic I don't have the nova link so I have to program it on the ESC.

My first question is, the ESC lets you set a start RPM but not an end rpm. How is the timing applied by default when programing on the esc? Is it just linear to the value in setting #4(timing amount)?

Also I was looking at the Novalink software and saw there is an ESC temp protection option that I don't see anywhere in the "on ESC" setup guide. Is this on by default or do I need the link to enable this protection?

Finally I am unclear on the boost setting. It looks like if I program on the esc and I want to run boost I have to use the highest profile (like; max timing) but if I get the nova link I can run say 30 timing and have the boost in there when I need it?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Finally got to run the 1s Kinetic modified for 2s. works perfect.

is there a list of motors that have the built in temp sensor so i can read motor temps on the novalink
Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
Finally got to run the 1s Kinetic modified for 2s. works perfect.

is there a list of motors that have the built in temp sensor so i can read motor temps on the novalink
The only 2 motors I know of that have on board temp sensing are the Ballistic and the LRP X12.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I got my replacement brain board today. So far it looks like it will solve most of my problems. I haven't had a chance to take it to the track, but I will tomorrow. I am just happy to have brakes again. Running it around my living room it seems like it is working properly. Also it will update from the software again.

Thanks to Novak for the quick response to my issues.

I also installed the smaller capacitor. What are the advantages of the smaller cap? Or is it basically the same as the larger one?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The only 2 motors I know of that have on board temp sensing are the Ballistic and the LRP X12.
Kinetic can record accurate temps from LRP X12 ?
I thought temp sensor may have different specification between brands, hence best case you would get weird temp values.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The temp readings from the X12 range of motors seem to be quite accurate in what i have measured. About 2-3 C difference at most.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Company Representative

Our new TransCap module is just a smaller version of the larger cap module we replaced; but it is easier to install and lighter weight.

Originally Posted by macdude
Well I got my replacement brain board today. So far it looks like it will solve most of my problems. I haven't had a chance to take it to the track, but I will tomorrow. I am just happy to have brakes again. Running it around my living room it seems like it is working properly. Also it will update from the software again.

Thanks to Novak for the quick response to my issues.

I also installed the smaller capacitor. What are the advantages of the smaller cap? Or is it basically the same as the larger one?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well the new brain board fixed all my issues. Everything is working great. I must say that the Kinetic can now be recommended in my opinion. Before I was a little hesitant to tell people to get one. But now it seems pretty solid.

I would like to mention I still think there should be a warning that says unplug you battery on the Novalink start up screen. Just as a reminder, that if you don't and you send an update to the controller it will fry the brain board.

What really sets this apart from some of the other ESC with boost management software is the granular control over all the settings. For most I don't know if this would be a big selling point or not. The other big one for me is drivability. Now that everything is working as it should the kinetic has tons of mid throttle feel. And you can add more by upping the drive frequency. I have yet to get it back in my on road car and test it, but I think it should be pretty well suited to that too. That will have to wait till the fall to really test it out though. I don't do much racing in the summer. Soccer consumes most of my life during the spring and summer months.
\
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so i went out and purchased a new laptop with windows 7, installed the new software and my new laptop smoked, not really just seeing if you were paying attention.

before I never had a issue with the rpm out of range box, but I do now, or i should say i did. I'm running the no timing class and installed the new brain boards. so i didn't know if it was a laptop issue, BB issue or what, I did find a simple fix. I just clicked the default timing range box, set it to 17.5 2s, set the timing level at a random number 40, and turned the boost on, hit update. then turned all the timing back off. no more rpm out of range box. hope this info helps someone. I am however not getting the box with the lights that shows up when the esc is updating, it flashes, i get a another error screen that flashes so quick i can't read it, then i get the your esc has been up dated, when i check the settings they are all good so I'm not going to worry about it. just a FYI for novak. thanks for the great product. hope to get it in A at carpet nats.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

so i went out and purchased a new laptop with windows 7, installed the new software and my new laptop smoked, not really just seeing if you were paying attention.

before I never had a issue with the rpm out of range box, but I do now, or i should say i did. I'm running the no timing class and installed the new brain boards. so i didn't know if it was a laptop issue, BB issue or what, I did find a simple fix. I just clicked the default timing range box, set it to 17.5 2s, set the timing level at a random number 40, and turned the boost on, hit update. then turned all the timing back off. no more rpm out of range box. hope this info helps someone. I am however not getting the box with the lights that shows up when the esc is updating, it flashes, i get a another error screen that flashes so quick i can't read it, then i get the your esc has been up dated, when i check the settings they are all good so I'm not going to worry about it. just a FYI for novak. thanks for the great product. hope to get it in A at carpet nats.
The RPM out of range warning I get it everytime I installed a new brain board or was switching from the built in profile to the "nova link" managed profile. It doesn't seem to do anything.
Since you are running in the zero timing class just curious what you are running your drive frequency and FDR at.
I have found that for my driving style I much prefer to be in the 4.5 to 5 FDR range. I know it sounds weird, but my lap times always come down when I get in this range. I also like to run the drive frequency maxed out.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The new Team Viper motors also read temp just fine.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

i get a another error screen that flashes so quick i can't read it,
FYI, that's usually related to a security issue, its set to high and blocking something.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
Less smoke?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

Received my 10.5t Ballistic/Kinetic combo this week and finally got to installing tonight. I have a notebook so the CD was useless. Downloaded the 1.4 software from Novak successfully. However when i connect my ESC via the cable it says that the boost/turbo ect errors and when i go on advanced and try to turn the turbo on i can't because it's all grey'd out. Any ideas whats wrong?

All help appreciated!

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.