Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldpugva
Very nice write-up Gary. My observation is the Super Stock temps. Novak says via their web site to keep it below 165 or so (maybe it is 175). That is really close to DAMAGE to internals.

I find that having such a low 'ceiling' stresses me out, as I reach those temps quickly. My FDR is around 5.0 on RCGT and I would like to add two more cogs to get me around 4.7 or so. I am not as fast as others due to the smaller pinion. I cannot get there due to temps.
The 171* was with a Duo2 which I'm positive it can take more than that temp. remembering of course that the Novak reconmendation is with their combination of motor and speed control, so with the ballistic the temp sensor is within the motor so its reconmendation could be off of what one might see with external temp of another motor. You could probably creep up on the gearing if you had to but in my case overgearing did not produce any better lap times and under gearing started to show slower lap times. This final fdr was possibly off by about 0.10 fdr, but it also produced far more consistant lap times for me.

I also know that some of the elite drivers where coming off at over 212*, all for a few fast laps, but in no way where those motors run much longer after that.

I still am very happy with how smooth the Kinetic is from bottom end to top end speed. I had a chance to try a mamba max and look at the interface adjustability in Texas at Mikes Hobby Shop. The Kinetic is still a smoother speed control and with the fractional adjustments or open adjustments compaired to the mm locked in increments, the Kinetic makes for a more adjustable speed control. On the software side the scroll over info available with the Kinetic offers more info than the help feature of the mm. Also the throttle curve graphs appear larger and easier to manipulate with the Kinetic over the mm. Even the owner of the mm thought the software side of the Novak seemed easier to change. (Thanks Eryk from Mikes)
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Company Representative

FWIW, we consider our TransCap modules an intrinsic component of our overall esc design. This is not just a power capacitor, but an entire circuit.

Novak TransCap Modules

Here is the list of all of our external, replaceable modules for various voltage requirements; you can always use a higher rated module---for example a 4S with a 2S battery:

TC Modules; Listings

We have introduced a smaller 1S module installed on our new Kinetic 1S escs and we are prototyping a smaller 2S TC module. For now, we recommend only our 2S module as replacement on our racing 2S controllers (brush or brushless).

This same module can be used as a replacement/upgrade for other mfgs' 2S controllers. If you are installing a TransCap module on one of those other escs with damaged, internal power caps, we recommend complete removal of the blown caps before installing our module.

We think this module is pretty cheap insurance:

This is the replacement Power Trans-Cap Module for the Kinetic Racing Brushless ESC, Havoc Pro Brushless ESC, GTB Brushless/Brush ESC, Havoc Sport Brushless/Brush ESC, GTX or any other brushed or brushless racing speed control (except high-voltage ESCs) compatible with 2S Li-Po/4-6 cell NiMH.

This unit improves efficiency and lowers operating temperatures for speed controls, and is factory-wired with 16GA silicone wire for easy installation on a ESC’s Direct-Solder Wiring Tabs. The module includes a 5,600 microfared 10V Electrolytic capacitor with a transorb circuitry that provides protection from voltage spikes.

Note: Use of any other power capacitor with the Kinetic 2S, Havoc Pro SC, Havoc Pro, GTB, Havoc 2S Sport, GTX, etc. is not recommended and may cause damage to the ESC.

For more information on Novak's Power Trans-Cap Modules, click here.
Originally Posted by xtraman122
Anyone do much testing without the big cap on there? I'm considering trying the little Tekin ones or just going completely without it, I think my cars would be fine, the hottest motor I run is a 7.5. I know when I used to run Tekin stuff I had mine break off and went the whole night without it and experienced no negative side effects.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

good work novak! your new esc is looking good in stock AND mod, that is a feat

I've been watching Ed get that thing faster every week

And now a smaller cap

now we just need color choices
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Random question, I know on the Havoc Pro SC that the drag brake is programmable up to 27% (I think that's the number). Now, is that number based on the original firmware for the Kinetic, where it was really double that and felt like 54%, or is it like the v1.3 and any other speedo where it's actually 27% of your total braking power. Pretty much, will it have the same drag brake as a GTB or will it be double?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Random question, I know on the Havoc Pro SC that the drag brake is programmable up to 27% (I think that's the number). Now, is that number based on the original firmware for the Kinetic, where it was really double that and felt like 54%, or is it like the v1.3 and any other speedo where it's actually 27% of your total braking power. Pretty much, will it have the same drag brake as a GTB or will it be double?
Xtraman122:
The maximum Minimum Brake or Drake Brake is 30 percent of maximum brake value using the One Touch button and 50% through Nova Link

1 is OFF and the remaining percentages are as follow:

Adnan
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The 171* was with a Duo2 which I'm positive it can take more than that temp. remembering of course that the Novak reconmendation is with their combination of motor and speed control, so with the ballistic the temp sensor is within the motor so its reconmendation could be off of what one might see with external temp of another motor. You could probably creep up on the gearing if you had to but in my case overgearing did not produce any better lap times and under gearing started to show slower lap times. This final fdr was possibly off by about 0.10 fdr, but it also produced far more consistant lap times for me.

I also know that some of the elite drivers where coming off at over 212*, all for a few fast laps, but in no way where those motors run much longer after that.

I still am very happy with how smooth the Kinetic is from bottom end to top end speed. I had a chance to try a mamba max and look at the interface adjustability in Texas at Mikes Hobby Shop. The Kinetic is still a smoother speed control and with the fractional adjustments or open adjustments compaired to the mm locked in increments, the Kinetic makes for a more adjustable speed control. On the software side the scroll over info available with the Kinetic offers more info than the help feature of the mm. Also the throttle curve graphs appear larger and easier to manipulate with the Kinetic over the mm. Even the owner of the mm thought the software side of the Novak seemed easier to change. (Thanks Eryk from Mikes)
Nice post Johnny. I sure wish I could run the heck out of the motor without regard to temps. Must be nice to be able to swap motors after a heat!

Last edited by oldpugva; 09-24-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is this gonna be the same size a wieght as my GTB ?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by tc3jp
Is this gonna be the same size a wieght as my GTB ?
Slightly smaller in both weight and footprint.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just started with the Nova link.

Maybe I'm missing something but I have noticed the following.

In total I have updated the firmware on 4 kinetics.

On at least two (possibly all, can't be 100%) it would not accept the update, wired into the car. Ie battery disconnected and receiver plug into Nova Link. They only way I could get it to connect to the Nova Link was to disconnect the switch as well. As soon as the switch was removed it all worked.

Other thing I've uploaded a custom profile to the Kinetic, so the speedo is running in profile 2. When I hold the programming switch I get all the lights on giving 2 flashes, confirming that it is running the uploaded custom profile. Using the switch I can go back to the in-built profile 1, all the lights flashing once. But cannot go back to profile 2. I assumed that I could have two profiles stored in the Kinetic, one programmed via the switch other via the Novak Link. Then be able to swap between the two.

Last thing, when the Nova Link loads up does it read the setting the speedo is currently set to or, are the on screen settings just a default setting.

Cheers.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quick question. Looking through the instructions ... it seems no timing is the default setting?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MiCk B
Last thing, when the Nova Link loads up does it read the setting the speedo is currently set to or, are the on screen settings just a default setting.
It shows what you're currently at.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Random question on the Havoc Pro SC, I was looking through the online manual and saw where you set the RPM start point for the timing, but never saw any mention of the end point for where it's fully applied.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Settings for a Durango?

Do you guys know of a good starting point for this ESC in a DEX410? I am using the Ballistic 8.5. I usually start with the stock profile on these but was curious if anyone knew of a better starting point. Cheers!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by malkiy
Quick question. Looking through the instructions ... it seems no timing is the default setting?
When one touch programming is performed, the ESC revert to all default values.
Default value for Timing is OFF.
Adnan
Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Random question on the Havoc Pro SC, I was looking through the online manual and saw where you set the RPM start point for the timing, but never saw any mention of the end point for where it's fully applied.
Timing setting 2-8 are some what based on motor winds.
2 for low turn modified upper RPM point ~35K
8 for 1 cell 10.5 turn racing ~ 9K RPM
Adnan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.