Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Like any thrust race, pack as much greese as you can into it. AE black stealth is the best, IMO.

Regarding springs, I just use them as the 104 manual... works fine for me!
Thanks, got it about AE grease... I was wondering when you've used it has any of it found it's way to those cone washers which are pushing against the bearing? If it does then wouldn't that mess up the over all function of the diff?

BTW what about green slime? over rated?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
I have the springs like the F103 has it in the manual. Smooth as silk. Been driving it for a month of 3 now without any problems.
Originally Posted by TryHard
Regarding springs, I just use them as the 104 manual... works fine for me!
Thanks boys! I have the springs also in the F103 style (with one piece thrust bearing). From my point of view it's smooth like regular version with ball bearing but it's working well. Lubed with Tamiya VG Thrust Bearing Grease, using Tamiya F104 Soft Sponge Rear Tires on asphalt track.

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
...on carpet i was having problems with diff slip on carpet i use 4 washers and 12 ball bearings in the spur my diffs now are super smooth and dont need nearly as much rebuilds now
Some Kimbrough spur is probably my next upgrade...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You need a spacer ring for that to fit.
If running foam on asphalt try the combo 30SH rear and 40SH front for starters.
GP speedtires have them Exceed(on rims and trued) also sells them and i believe D-drive has them also in stock.
Be carefull with Exceed as they have 2 ranges with foams.
One for carpet and the other for outdoor asphalt.
This combo's work great for us on the Dutch circuits and if the grip is low were going to 25 rear and 45 front.
This is without additive.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by dfx
Some Kimbrough spur is probably my next upgrade...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i havnt had much luck with aditives i have tried with the rubber tyres, i usually just bake my tyres at i nice toasty 50 degrees and then the F1 hooks up wicked.
i use the tamiya rubbers i have looked at the brand of tyres available but have been usure which ones to try the testing on the link from the previous page was quiet a interesting read.

what aditives do you guys use ?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
You need a spacer ring for that to fit.
If running foam on asphalt try the combo 30SH rear and 40SH front for starters.
I already have the spacer but have finished summer season with Tamiya spur. I'm still thinking about optimal gear ratio because there is a huge difference between our outdoor and indoor tracks. For the tires there is a "gentleman's agreement" to use Tamiya foams as most of the field are F104s and F109s (usualy equipped with F104 dif and front suspension) and Tamiya tires are available in our stores.

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
what aditives do you guys use ?
No experience with rubber tires but purple Corally Jack the Gripper works fine with Tamiya foams on our carpet. Outer half of rear tires is enough for good grip.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Carbon kit conversion for F104X1!!!

Tamiya F104 Pro!-img266.jpg

Someone knows which brand makes this thing?

TRG?

Seems a good option for foam tires i think.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

I woun't be using the slide damper becouse it's inconsisten. When U twist the pod to the right it gets harder becouse there is more contact between the inner and outher shell of the damper. The opposite happens when U twist it to the left. You need or a single (tru shaft) oil damper (like the 1 used by AE (Exotec), Yok, Xray, Serpent, 3 Racing,...), a disk damper or 2 dampertubes to have the same left and right dampening.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Sure?, I think these TRG japanese people know what they do. And this side roll damper is in fact in the F104X1 out of the box!!!!. Are you saying F104X1 has a bad design? I donīt think so...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rokosam
Sure?, I think these TRG japanese people know what they do. And this side roll damper is in fact in the F104X1 out of the box!!!!. Are you saying F104X1 has a bad design? I donīt think so...
Yup, bad design and I was referring to Tamiya. The double rear damper tube by TRG (not pictured here) does have the same right/left dampenig but is rather complicated.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

I think you are not considering the counterweight at the other side...

Tamiya people (Japanese) are in the RC business for a long time. Sorry but I can not believe you.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rokosam
Attachment 820033

Someone knows which brand makes this thing?

TRG?

Seems a good option for foam tires i think.
Looks like a X1 with a TRG chassis and front end...

Personally not had any issues with the slide damper, it's pretty silky smooth regarldess of which way the pod is twisted. And it leaves the shock to do the longitudinal damping.

Last edited by TryHard; 10-13-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: got me lateral and longitudinal muddled... it is 1am!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, thatīs the point. The TRF black oil damper also works with the roll damper in the roll/slide movement at the same time.

Easier and efficient.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo da Vinci
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Big Wig
Yup, bad design and I was referring to Tamiya. The double rear damper tube by TRG (not pictured here) does have the same right/left dampenig but is rather complicated.
I don't agree with the statement about the TRG.... looking closely at it, it has a central piviot to rotate around, which in turn means the tubes will always have some form of side load to remain in line with the mounts. No escaping from that, and by the same token as what you say about the roll damper, will result in contact with the side of the tube.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So this is for the the guys running rubber a couple of guys from my club just got back from vegas and they want to implement a rubber only rule is the shimitzu the rubber tire thats working well for u guys.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
So this is for the the guys running rubber a couple of guys from my club just got back from vegas and they want to implement a rubber only rule is the shimitzu the rubber tire thats working well for u guys.
The IIC at Vegas had control tires Ride Medium front and rear. I tried the Ride Super Soft (great if your track temperature is cold because they overheat easily) front and rear and still prefer Shimizu F1-S and R1-H.

Ride feels more like Tamiya tires, and to me, it feels somewhat floaty. But when your car begins to spin or understeer, it is more progressive. Shimizu on the other hand, feels more planted, but the understeer and oversteer-spin is more abrupt.

You need to mount Pit Shimizu tires on Tamiya foam rims and drill at least one 3mm hole for vent. Ride tires you have to buy Ride rims to fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.