Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kodiak Hans
Thx for info...one more ?
Can you send me picture with right wire conection between electric motor and speed control (regulator).Maybe this can be problem too or not?
I dropped my F104 in favour of the F109, same as many in my club
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NiMo
I dropped my F104 in favour of the F109, same as many in my club
That's too bad. I guess, if you're lookin to save $ and go down a grade as far as quality!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa
That's too bad. I guess, if you're lookin to save $ and go down a grade as far as quality!
Car was bought to use as a wet weather car, but the F104 simply has no rear grip.
I feel the F104 was built as an indoor carpet car, and not an outdoor circuit car.
I needed a car that was similar in performance to my CRC GenX10, and the F104 was no where near.
Quality or not, if it doesn't do the job then it's no point in running.

And before you start, I have replaced the F109 rear axle and diff unit with the F104 unit, placed a CRC (Losi) Battery tray in the F109 and used the F104 upper deck supports, and replaced the sloppy F109 front end with the F103 front end. And have seen how someone has converted the side springs to the CRC Tweak Spring unit, so looking to fit that, and also looking to put 10mm longer side arms on to again improve rear end grip.
I'd rather put money in to something that works than to put money in to something that looks flash.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just finished a new body to be the "runner" for my F104. I'll take some photos of it this weekend at the Tamiya track and post them for your viewing pleasure. For now here's a sneak peak:

Can you guess what it is?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-f104-masking.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

NiMo...that's a shame your f104 didn't work out. Mine out of the box wasn't great with little to no grip in the rear, but with some changes as suggested on this forum it has transformed the car with good grip and steering on an low grip outdoor track.
I will be trying the F109 in the near future, but as you have said, it will need some changes and improvements by the sounds of it as well, and you have been able to but your F104 to good use improving the f109 car.....so it ain't all bad.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

does anyone know the part number for the standard tbar that comes with the car.

In the manual it states 14005131, but when I look via google etc, that mustn't be the part number to order a replacement.

any help would be appreciated
Old 10-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Car was bought to use as a wet weather car, but the F104 simply has no rear grip.
I feel the F104 was built as an indoor carpet car, and not an outdoor circuit car.
I have been running mine only on indoor carpet, and would have to say I got all the grip I need with the kit tires. I feel the same that the car was definitely designed with indoor carpet racing in mind.

With some modifications, I have the car working very well indoors. The kit rear foams have lost only 0.5mm (I trued them to 60mm to start with) after countless runs, so I know the rear of the car is indeed working well.

Jimmy
Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer x 1
lol why thank you for the driving compliments. my goal is to get you guys to at least compromise and go like 17.5 on rubber tires. lol soon on a track near you matt bell, the lewis hamilton of rc!!!!!!!
Lewis Hamilton is the Lewis Hamilton of RC!

quote from wikipedia:

Hamilton's first taste of racing competition came at the controls of radio-controlled cars. His father, Anthony, bought him one in 1991, and Hamilton finished second in the national BRCA championship the following year. Hamilton said of the time: "I was racing these remote-controlled cars and winning club championships against adults"
Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussierevo
does anyone know the part number for the standard tbar that comes with the car.

In the manual it states 14005131, but when I look via google etc, that mustn't be the part number to order a replacement.

any help would be appreciated
Item #4005131 - It should just be a 7 digit spare part number.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=4005131
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Just finished a new body to be the "runner" for my F104. I'll take some photos of it this weekend at the Tamiya track and post them for your viewing pleasure. For now here's a sneak peak:

Can you guess what it is?
Well if you are sticking with your original plan, then its a BAR Honda of some vintage
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Well if you are sticking with your original plan, then its a BAR Honda of some vintage
Yup with Mr. Perpetual #2 as the driver...poor Rubens
Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 PM
AMZ
Tech Regular

NiMo...that's a shame your f104 didn't work out. Mine out of the box wasn't great with little to no grip in the rear, but with some changes as suggested on this forum it has transformed the car with good grip and steering on an low grip outdoor track.
I will be trying the F109 in the near future, but as you have said, it will need some changes and improvements by the sounds of it as well, and you have been able to but your F104 to good use improving the f109 car.....so it ain't all bad.
Would you mind summing up some of the improvements for more rear end traction , on lower grip outdoor tracks?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMZ
Would you mind summing up some of the improvements for more rear end traction , on lower grip outdoor tracks?
I've taken information from veece, inzane and many others from this thread and tried combinations of all the things they have tried. My changes focus on the rear roll adjusting screw, making small changes to that to help 'loosen' what is a stiff chassis. The friction damper....i've found that I've had to loosen it off quite a bit to help the rear grip. I've got a ride height at the back of 4 mm and slightly higher at the front that while isn't convention, again helps.

Even just adding suncreen to the tires and letting it soak in for about 25 minutes helps a lot.

It's not perfect, but I do like the fact that the rear is more planted and for most of the time I'm not spinning out at each corner. I plan to try the soft tbar soon and see what that does again. I'm only running the formula tune motor, so I haven't got pure speed, but it's enough for me.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtfour93
Item #4005131 - It should just be a 7 digit spare part number.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=4005131
thanks...I'll give that a try.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I needed a car that was similar in performance to my CRC GenX10, and the F104 was no where near.
Quality or not, if it doesn't do the job then it's no point in running.

And before you start, I have replaced the F109 rear axle and diff unit with the F104 unit, placed a CRC (Losi) Battery tray in the F109 and used the F104 upper deck supports, and replaced the sloppy F109 front end with the F103 front end. And have seen how someone has converted the side springs to the CRC Tweak Spring unit, so looking to fit that, and also looking to put 10mm longer side arms on to again improve rear end grip.
I'd rather put money in to something that works than to put money in to something that looks flash.

No pan car is made for outdoor low bit tracks/parking lots. This has always been the case. Usually guys are using way to much motor for the type of track sounds like you are running on. Anything more than the stock motor and a 2s lipo is over kill. The car is fast box stock. It works great on a high bit carpet track like my home track. I would never even think about getting one of these to run on a low bit track. As I ran 10 scale pan 20 years ago. They suck on low bit tracks. What is worse is any F1 on rubber tires on low bit tracks. Those poor HPI F10 owners.

Originally Posted by g12314
I have been running mine only on indoor carpet, and would have to say I got all the grip I need with the kit tires. I feel the same that the car was definitely designed with indoor carpet racing in mind.

With some modifications, I have the car working very well indoors. The kit rear foams have lost only 0.5mm (I trued them to 60mm to start with) after countless runs, so I know the rear of the car is indeed working well.

Jimmy
I had to true my tires down as the car would traction roll The quality of the car is good. This coming from someone that runs Xray for years. Iput together a RC5.1 the other day and what a piece that was. The Tamyia went together much nicer than the AE car. Go figure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.