Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
It depends...The setups that utilize the foam chassis are for high bite carpet. For low to medium bite carpet the regular chassis is fine.
True. Thanks Steve
Old 11-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Hi All,

I posted a few pages back about my bowed chassis.....

After building it all up piece by piece and checking for flatness in between I've traced the problem to the top deck. It's 0.6mm too short! I measure the didtance between inside hole centre on the top deck to be 154.2mm and the bulkhead holes are 154.8mm apart centre to centre.

I've attached a picture which illustrates the problem. Every other screw on the chassis/bulkhead/wings is done up and the chassis is flat. Both belts are off and the diffs are out/dampers off. As has been said before the countersunk design of all parts means you can't build tweak in or out of the car.

Can anyone compare lengths with me? Particulary I'm intersted if a new top deck might sort it if I have a duff one.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-deck-003.jpg  
Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
Hi All,

After building it all up piece by piece and checking for flatness in between I've traced the problem to the top deck. It's 0.6mm too short! I measure the didtance between inside hole centre on the top deck to be 154.2mm and the bulkhead holes are 154.8mm apart centre to centre.

I've attached a picture which illustrates the problem. Every other screw on the chassis/bulkhead/wings is done up and the chassis is flat. Both belts are off and the diffs are out/dampers off. As has been said before the countersunk design of all parts means you can't build tweak in or out of the car.

Can anyone compare lengths with me? Particulary I'm intersted if a new top deck might sort it if I have a duff one.
I have flipped the top deck and am running bottom head screws.. this should fix your problem..
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
Hi All,

i have the same problem with the top deck
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Car was good today but I've still got work to do. I think the chassis flexes too much on the carpet and causes a very aggressive feel. I didn't get to play with shock fluids today, but I will by this weekend. Car did come around pretty good throughout the day, I just need to calm it down a little. Overall good day with the car.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Car was good today but I've still got work to do. I think the chassis flexes too much on the carpet and causes a very aggressive feel. I didn't get to play with shock fluids today, but I will by this weekend. Car did come around pretty good throughout the day, I just need to calm it down a little. Overall good day with the car.
stiltskin, did you try larry's foam setup from the gate race he posted..
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by THeGame
stiltskin, did you try larry's foam setup from the gate race he posted..
I'm running rubber tires. My problem right now is too much steering. I guess it should be easier to get rid of steering than it is to find steering. The traction is pretty low right now, so I'm probably wasting alot of time anyway. At least I'll have a good low/medium traction setup by the time I'm done.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running rubber tires. My problem right now is too much steering. I guess it should be easier to get rid of steering than it is to find steering. The traction is pretty low right now, so I'm probably wasting alot of time anyway. At least I'll have a good low/medium traction setup by the time I'm done.
Go ahead and waste all the time you want. It'll be better for me when yall start carpet season up there!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Go ahead and waste all the time you want. It'll be better for me when yall start carpet season up there!
Thanks Jimmy. You're the greatest.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any and all practice is good...key....is to keep track or remember what adjustments do what. lol!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gitsum
Any and all practice is good...key....is to keep track or remember what adjustments do what. lol!
You got that right.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Just wanting to hear some opinions, I plan on running rubber tires on carpet, so should I go for the rubber edition kit or the foa
edition and just add a spool? Or if someone can point me to a out of the box rubber setup for carpet that'd be great!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AndysD8
Just wanting to hear some opinions, I plan on running rubber tires on carpet, so should I go for the rubber edition kit or the foa
edition and just add a spool? Or if someone can point me to a out of the box rubber setup for carpet that'd be great!
Both kits cost the same. The foam kit comes with a front diff ($50 option), the rubber kit comes with a spool ($20) I would get the foam kit and pick up a spool with it. If you decide to run outside, the rubber chassis is also cheaper than the foam chassis so you save on the conversion. M2C.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndysD8

You could go either direction really. If you plan on just doing rubber indoors and out get the rubber kit. If you might do some foam and rubber get the foam kit. Keep in mind if you use the foam kit in rubber it is stiff which in turn can make the car edgy. Either way you can't go wrong as there are very good setups for both already to be had.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Both kits cost the same. The foam kit comes with a front diff ($50 option), the rubber kit comes with a spool ($20) I would get the foam kit and pick up a spool with it. If you decide to run outside, the rubber chassis is also cheaper than the foam chassis so you save on the conversion. M2C.
All we run around here is indoor carpet, rubber tires. I had just heard and not sure if there is any truth to it, that out of the box the rubber spec is great on asphalt but not so much on carpet. For those running the rubber spec on carpet, what wing and top deck are you using? I'm just curious how a out of the box foam edition, with a spool does with rubber on carpet. If I'm getting on anyones nerves with all the questions, I apologize! Just want to make the right choice with my first "new" car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.