Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
Guys, does anyone else have this:

My lower chassis plate is bowed. If I lay the car on a flat surface there's a bit of rock and I measure, with the middle touching, a 1mm gap between the board and the front and rear edges of the chassis. If you push the rear down flat then there's a 2mm gap between the board and the front edge of the chassis.

If I undo the top deck the chassis goes back to being flat.

My belts are pretty loose (10mm deflection on the front belt with small pressure and a bit less on the rear belt). I've tried loosening all the bukheads and re torquing them in several differnt orders and normally nip them up before I go around again to tighten. It seems like the upper deck is too short.....

The car is very good, and as I dial in the setup I'm going faster and faster (got FTD club racing yesterday) but I'd like to figure out if there's something up with my kit or if they're all like this.... Anyone else?

Cheers,
Chris.

If you have tried everything I would say take your bulkheads off and see that they are flat. If not then call Micheal at Top and he will get you sorted out.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BagofSkill
Guys, does anyone else have this:

My lower chassis plate is bowed. If I lay the car on a flat surface there's a bit of rock and I measure, with the middle touching, a 1mm gap between the board and the front and rear edges of the chassis. If you push the rear down flat then there's a 2mm gap between the board and the front edge of the chassis.

If I undo the top deck the chassis goes back to being flat.

My belts are pretty loose (10mm deflection on the front belt with small pressure and a bit less on the rear belt). I've tried loosening all the bukheads and re torquing them in several differnt orders and normally nip them up before I go around again to tighten. It seems like the upper deck is too short.....

The car is very good, and as I dial in the setup I'm going faster and faster (got FTD club racing yesterday) but I'd like to figure out if there's something up with my kit or if they're all like this.... Anyone else?

Cheers,
Chris.
Chris,

Loosen all top deck screws INCLUDING the lay shaft screws. Tighten all of the top deck screws then finally tighten up the lay shaft screws should fix your problem.

If you tighten up the lay shaft first it seems to pull the bulkheads together pinching on the chassis giving the tweak you describe.

Regards
Chris
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

how many degrees of TOTAL rear toe are you guys running on asphalt?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JasonC
where are you guys buying your parts and top accesories from ?
TOP Racing USA is my first choice. Michael is awesome to deal with and my parts have always taken two days to get to me. AMAIN hobbies has always been good as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
how many degrees of TOTAL rear toe are you guys running on asphalt?
I'm running 2.5 degree of toe on my car. On nights at the track (MDI) when traction is up you might want to try alittle less even. With the long links your running on your car you can probably get away with it. Your car is rolling and making lots of traction.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Regarding the chassis flatness,
I had this exact same problem in two kits, one after a couple of months and the other when was brand new... I think E.J. Goop and Larry saw how much of a bow it had to it in Vegas.
I tried everything to remedy it, including new bulkheads, new screws, new bottom deck.
Even taking the car down to nothing every run and building it up one item at a time to see when the tweek occured.

In the end I narrowed it down to the chassis wings, try fliping them over and fitting button screws, it minimized the problem for me.

I feel alot of the tweek is caused by having the car braced so much due to the counter sunk screws. It only takes a slight imperfection, be it dirt, off centre screw etc to cause it.

Hth
Luke
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdamD
I'm running 2.5 degree of toe on my car. On nights at the track (MDI) when traction is up you might want to try alittle less even. With the long links your running on your car you can probably get away with it. Your car is rolling and making lots of traction.
just trying to get a baseline for measuring it.. i love steering so i might start reducing my rear toe a bit..
Old 11-10-2009, 03:15 AM
Tech Master

I use from 1,5 till 2,5 degree toe on my car. Just depends on what track I drive.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

is their an eta on 6deg castor blocks. still wondering why companies put 4deg blocks in carpet kits when most people use 6deg c hubs.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikky32
I use from 1,5 till 2,5 degree toe on my car. Just depends on what track I drive.

L

Milky, is that total?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tallyrc
L

Milky, is that total?
Yes.
On some tracks I run only 1,5 toe in the rear in total.

When the car gets nerves I higher the toe to 2,5 degrees.
Most of the time I use 1,5 to 2 toe total.
Indoor on carpet I run 3 toe.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
is their an eta on 6deg castor blocks. still wondering why companies put 4deg blocks in carpet kits when most people use 6deg c hubs.
Still in the works but the car has a ton of steering with the 4 deg hubs. If you are really bent on using 6's I'm sure a borrowed set from another car can be made to work. If you like post up your setup and we can make a few suggestions for more steering wherever you are lacking.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko
Rosko... honestly, it's gonna be a little bit before we see 6 degree blocks. I've talked to both EJ and Vincent and things are in the works. No ETA has been given to us so that usually means a little bit of a wait before we see them.

For now, you can use X-Ray caster blocks and caster block busings. That's what Larry and I have been doing as a stop gap measure. All you have to do is sand a little bit of the caster block to fit in the arm freely and use a .5mm shim on the steering block to get rid of any vertical slop.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Had a good showing this weekend at the first anual Timezone Gran Prix. put the Photon foam (with 6 degree Xray castor blocks) 3rd on the grid and finished that way. The car works great, still working on setup, not much time before the race, and trying to race and being shop owner is tough.....

I want to give a HUGE thanks to Michael from Top USA who provided some give away items and came up north to run with us. I think the US Carpet spec has some great potential, can't wait to get some more packs through it.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Well, I finally got the owner of my lhs To track down the info the get setup to carry top parts. Hopefully he will get thrugh this process asap and I can get my photon ordered next week! When I order the car is there any thing that is recommended changing to run rubber tires on carpet? Of course I plan on getting the rubber spec, but I've seen where people are changing decks and such for running rubber on carpet. This will be the first new touring or offroad car for that matter that I've ever bought andi want to get it setup right out the door. Am I reading to much into it and the car is fine out of the box on carpet with rubber? I'm just going to run stock sedan 17.5 class with it. Wish me luck and I'll probably be back around in the near future with questions during the build!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.