Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also, ShadowAu in the TCS thread a while ago you mentioned that you heard the TA04R is not being produced by tamiya anymore, who'd you hear that off?
I know that they are still in production....somethings fishy.
I think TT is trying to cover their arse as they can't get any at the moment.....
Old 10-31-2002, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Anyway back to the TA03....
Old 10-31-2002, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default ships, sealing wax and ta04R's

Originally posted by rccarracer
Also, ShadowAu in the TCS thread a while ago you mentioned that you heard the TA04R is not being produced by tamiya anymore, who'd you hear that off?
I know that they are still in production....somethings fishy.
I think TT is trying to cover their arse as they can't get any at the moment.....
TT apparently told that to My local hobby shop here in Rockhampton... said that all production had ceased, wouldn't be taking back-orders etc... find it hard to stomach as I saw them EVERYWHERE while I was in Sydney but I'd already spent My budget buying a TA03TRF and keeping My AE TC3 running (BIG mistake)

as far as the motor is concerned I will bet My paycheck against yours that its an 11x1... I've just finished cutting the comm and rebuilding Mine so unless they've managed to make invisable copper wire I will stick with what I see

ShadowAU
Old 10-31-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was told by my local hobby shop that the TA04R kit was still in production but stocks were very hard to get at present. I was told it may be months before they had one in stock again and when they do finally get them in they won't last long as they have several people on the waiting list for one. I decided not to wait and bought a TA04S Kit and then bought all the hop ups I needed over the net from Hong Kong for a much better price than i could ever get them for here in Australia. As an example i just bought a Limited Edition Blue alloy steering set for $18.00US!!!
Try and get them in Australia for that price....
Old 10-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Hey Steevo... you have to let Me in on the website you bought them off... I am looking for a good place to buy Tamiya stuff... most hobby shops around Me charge WAY to much... I want to do the same as you... by a TA04S and hop it up the way I want
Old 11-01-2002, 01:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Ditto!

My TA03-F also needs hop-ups which don't come with jacked up prices! Post the site Steevo!

radiomodels is a very good store/internet store, cheap prices, cheap postage, and very very prompt service, i love them! haha
Old 11-01-2002, 01:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Please send me a private message with the request and i will send you the email address of the guy to contact.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok dude, will do

have you guys heard of
www.tamiyaclub.com ?

not to detract from our great forum here but it does have a bit of cool info on our cars, and some good pics which you could all contribute to. That way we could have a massive database of pics and such
Old 11-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Default TA03F Setups

Hey

I just finished converting MY TA03R-TRF to an F (David Jun specs basically)... just for something to do and to see if I can get any different handling from it... I don't really like the way the R version handles

what I need is ideas on setups... I have a medium grip asphalt track thats pretty smooth except for one or 2 BIG bumps...

at the moment I have 80W oil with 2 hole pistons all round, blue springs all round, no sway bars to try and get the grip level up (and most of the fast guys at My track are not using sway bars and I never had them on My TC3)... front oneway pully thing... running ellegi foams (42 fronts and 40 rears)... using the rear battery location... running either 12x3 or 11x1 modified motors but soon to be using 15x2 control class

Basically I want more steering going INTO cornors without making it twitchy or too loose, which was the problem with the TA03R... I have pretty much every Tamiya Hop-Up available to try including the TA02 front hub carriers (which were a David Jun mod I beleive)... I don't want to muck around with tire compounds much because I switch between rubber and foam tires regularly, depending on the class I'm racing and at which track and I have found that 42F and 40R let ME have basically the same setup for both

thanks
Old 11-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You may want to try using sway bars either yellow F/R it will make the car carry more speed in the corners and help it stay flatter in the corners as well.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

ShadowAu

I'm more or less in a similar situation with my 03RS. I just converted it to an "F." It seems to still push quite a bit, but not as bad. Here's some things that you might find useful. First off, the steering does not have a lot of throw to begin with. I'm pretty convinced that there is no way to make the car steer like my Losi XXX-S, but fortunately for me, I'm only racing the car against other Tamiya tub chassis cars. I would seriously consider some different tires. I think 42's are too hard. It would probably work well on a nitro car since it's much heavier. I'd probably go to 40's all around or 40 front 37 rear if the backend gets happy. Also, you didn't say what tire diameter you are running. If you run a larger diameter, you'll have more side bite and, in this case, that may be befeficial. I've found that droop is one of the most effective tuning settings on this car. Granted, I'm more or less running it box stock, but the same things apply. I run around 2mm droop up front and 4mm droop in the rear. Since my car undoubtedly has different shock bodies that you are running, you'll have to experiment with spacers and o-rings on the shock shafts to achieve that setting on your car. Sway bars reduce the amount of chassis roll that you have. When you have steering to spare, that can be a good tuning item. I don't think you can afford to give up any steering on this car. Finally, check your diffs. If the front diff is too loose, the inside tire will unload and the car will push. If the rear diff is too tight, the rear tires will not be able to rotate at different speeds easily and the car will push. I would start with the rear diff as loose as you can go without slip and tighten the front diff up a bit, but not too tight. Since it's a pita to adjust the balldiffs on that car, my thoughts are with you! I hope that gives you something to go on. Other things that you can try are raising the ride height and running a body with less downforce on the front. You can also generate more mechanical grip by playing with the dampening. Without seeing how the car behaves on the track, it's hard to offer advice on that other than to buy a shock pump so you can easily change oils at the track. You might try going with 60 weight oil and see how it behaves. You might have too much roll, though. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2002, 12:55 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'm looking for a TA03R-S graphite chassis. It is the short graphite version, part #53386 and the short belt 53297. Anyone know of any shop in the US that has this in stock perhaps.

Thanks
Brian
Old 11-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

wyd

Gulp! Good luck, man! Have you tried Tamiya USA directly? You can order from the directly and it shouldn't be much more than a hobby shop. You might try Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose, CA www.sheldonshobbies.com They have tons of vintage Tamiya stuff in the back, but it may be a challenge to get someone to go digging for you. Otherwise, you can try www.mdiracing.com. Les has done an excellent job of finding esoteric Tamiya stuff for me in the past. Send him an email. If you strike out there, you can always try Ebay.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:40 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thanks Psycho...
Old 11-14-2002, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default Best thread to ask

Hello

I'm looking for TA03 Aluminium Knuckle Arm Set 53325. I'd prefer new but, beggars can't be choosers. Can anyone help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.