Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qyus
Alternatively, like the photo in the previous thread, you can choose to tap through the outer holes on the plastic lip, put in super long screws, and mount a pair of vertical posts.

This means you are putting holes on the plastics and also bumper will be located high up. It may be ok if they body you use is not scale DTM. DTM cars like Alfa, Merc, Opel etc always have massive front splitter and the front splitter is where gets impact first so you really wanna put bumper behind it not anywhere else.
This is what I did.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Took the TA03F Pro out to the track this past weekend and raced it for the first time in probably 22 years. While it handled great, it just didn't have the speed needed to keep up with the more experienced classes. With an old 21.5T SpeedPassion motor I was 2 seconds per lap behind the 25.5T VTA cars and 3 seconds behind the USGT cars, but they run treaded tires instead of slicks. I could only gear it with a 25T pinion with the Robinson 48T spur. I had to run a fan as well to keep it cool. I may try a newer motor to see if I can get a little closer in lap time. I'd like to see if it can be competitive in VTA, but with the extra drag from 2 gear boxes, it may be difficult.

The fan i used took a hit and cracked. Later on it failed completely in the mains on motor temp got to 165F. I'm going to have to do something about that, but there isn't a whole lot of room up front. I had to cut an ear off the fan to get it to fit under the body.

94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

TA03 is also fun in Rear Wheel Drive Short WB + Wide rear tires setting even in cold weather:

WhiteLX and NoBrainer like this.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

i was just wondering... but has anyone somehow, ever managed to modify and fit a modern oil filled gear diff in place of the gear/ball diff?

I mean, so many old cars use the same type of diff. Its not popular popular, but it definitely isn't dead....
Old 12-11-2020, 03:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tomoyuki
i was just wondering... but has anyone somehow, ever managed to modify and fit a modern oil filled gear diff in place of the gear/ball diff?

I mean, so many old cars use the same type of diff. Its not popular popular, but it definitely isn't dead....
The TA03 ball diff is compatible with the M03 and M05. Oil filled gear diffs were available for the M05 but didn't fit in the M03 due to the need for larger bearings to support the diff. I've seen mods to make it work on the M03 but they weren't pretty. You'd need to do a similar mod on the TA03, drill larger outdrive holes in the gearbox.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The TA03 ball diff is compatible with the M03 and M05. Oil filled gear diffs were available for the M05 but didn't fit in the M03 due to the need for larger bearings to support the diff. I've seen mods to make it work on the M03 but they weren't pretty. You'd need to do a similar mod on the TA03, drill larger outdrive holes in the gearbox.
Thats very good insight. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
Took the TA03F Pro out to the track this past weekend and raced it for the first time in probably 22 years. While it handled great, it just didn't have the speed needed to keep up with the more experienced classes. With an old 21.5T SpeedPassion motor I was 2 seconds per lap behind the 25.5T VTA cars and 3 seconds behind the USGT cars, but they run treaded tires instead of slicks. I could only gear it with a 25T pinion with the Robinson 48T spur. I had to run a fan as well to keep it cool. I may try a newer motor to see if I can get a little closer in lap time. I'd like to see if it can be competitive in VTA, but with the extra drag from 2 gear boxes, it may be difficult.

The fan i used took a hit and cracked. Later on it failed completely in the mains on motor temp got to 165F. I'm going to have to do something about that, but there isn't a whole lot of room up front. I had to cut an ear off the fan to get it to fit under the body.
Are there any updates for the TA03 adventure in VTA? I spent all of today seriously contemplating the same thing... very close to buying a set of US-VTA tires to give it a go on my pandemic-restored TA03.

WhiteLX, do you have any times on a modern car that's been driven by yourself? I'm curious what the time delta is between cars, when the driver is the same.

On the topic of gearing, I've read that a FDR of ~3.5-4.0 is recommended for the 25.5T US-VTA motors, and I'm scratching my head about how to do that.
I re-installed the 0.4M gear set from the TA03F-Pro to get more gearing options, and by my measurements it looks like there is a max of 8mm between the motor shaft and the spur gear.
Working backwards, that should only allow a ~38T pinion, giving a FDR of 4.6 which is a tad high.

Anyone have thoughts?? I'm willing to bet we can make up that 2-second gap if we can gear it taller for regaining top speed w/ modern brushless torque.
Also, please let me know if anyone has a spool, or aluminum countershafts up for sale! Consider an irrational act of passion, but I want to prove that the TA03 can still make it 20 years later
94SRUNNER likes this.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xtracrispy
Are there any updates for the TA03 adventure in VTA? I spent all of today seriously contemplating the same thing... very close to buying a set of US-VTA tires to give it a go on my pandemic-restored TA03.

WhiteLX, do you have any times on a modern car that's been driven by yourself? I'm curious what the time delta is between cars, when the driver is the same.

On the topic of gearing, I've read that a FDR of ~3.5-4.0 is recommended for the 25.5T US-VTA motors, and I'm scratching my head about how to do that.
I re-installed the 0.4M gear set from the TA03F-Pro to get more gearing options, and by my measurements it looks like there is a max of 8mm between the motor shaft and the spur gear.
Working backwards, that should only allow a ~38T pinion, giving a FDR of 4.6 which is a tad high.

Anyone have thoughts?? I'm willing to bet we can make up that 2-second gap if we can gear it taller for regaining top speed w/ modern brushless torque.
Also, please let me know if anyone has a spool, or aluminum countershafts up for sale! Consider an irrational act of passion, but I want to prove that the TA03 can still make it 20 years later
Even if you could gear it to an FDR of 3.5-4.0 (you can't) you couldn't run it because the motor would get way too hot. I couldn't get enough cooling to the front mounted motor, even with a fan on it. There just isn't enough room for airflow around the entire motor can to keep it cool. The TA03R may fair better as there is more room to work with for cooling. In addition, it's just too inefficient with the dual gear boxes to keep up with a single pulley belt drive. With Mod they might stand a chance, but the limits of the chassis and tuning will be a problem. VTA has all but died here in SoCal. USGT and 17.5 TC are where it's at, so even if I set it up for VTA, I wouldn't have a class to run it in. I ran it in rookie for a couple races. I won one as the competition wasn't too stiff. I got completely walked all over by modern TCs in the last race I ran with it, this with a 17.5. I have since switched to a 3Racing S64 for racing. It is considerably quicker. I could run both on a practice day for comparison, but I don't have two of the same motor.

I'd be curious if some extra speed could be had with a one-way, but I don't think VTA allows them. However, the other TCs with 4 wheel braking would be diving inside you on every corner as they would be able to out-brake you. There is a new class that has been developing here in SoCal that a tub chassis TA03 could potentially be used successfully in. Its Spec GT. They spec the Kyosho Fazer, TT01, and TT02 , but I don't see why they couldn't allow a TA03 tub. Its a 2S, blinky, 21.5 fixed timing Reedy spec motor, 5.11 FDR max class.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
Even if you could gear it to an FDR of 3.5-4.0 (you can't) you couldn't run it because the motor would get way too hot. I couldn't get enough cooling to the front mounted motor, even with a fan on it. There just isn't enough room for airflow around the entire motor can to keep it cool. The TA03R may fair better as there is more room to work with for cooling. In addition, it's just too inefficient with the dual gear boxes to keep up with a single pulley belt drive. With Mod they might stand a chance, but the limits of the chassis and tuning will be a problem. VTA has all but died here in SoCal. USGT and 17.5 TC are where it's at, so even if I set it up for VTA, I wouldn't have a class to run it in. I ran it in rookie for a couple races. I won one as the competition wasn't too stiff. I got completely walked all over by modern TCs in the last race I ran with it, this with a 17.5. I have since switched to a 3Racing S64 for racing. It is considerably quicker. I could run both on a practice day for comparison, but I don't have two of the same motor.

I'd be curious if some extra speed could be had with a one-way, but I don't think VTA allows them. However, the other TCs with 4 wheel braking would be diving inside you on every corner as they would be able to out-brake you. There is a new class that has been developing here in SoCal that a tub chassis TA03 could potentially be used successfully in. Its Spec GT. They spec the Kyosho Fazer, TT01, and TT02 , but I don't see why they couldn't allow a TA03 tub. Its a 2S, blinky, 21.5 fixed timing Reedy spec motor, 5.11 FDR max class.
Thanks for the reality check I was looking at the Sakura or xpress today as well. One hope that I had for the 03, was the unorthodox front motor configuration. Given the staggered VTA tire setup, I wondered if the extra front weight would help create extra steering grip, while relying on the wide rear tires to keep from spinning out.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My TA-03F plastic tub version with only a few hop-ups. The lightweight rear end helps rotate the car upon corner entry. I like the driving dynamics and wonder how much better the XV-01 really is compared to this.
WhiteLX likes this.