Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Draper
I believe tamiya white is harder.
thank you.
although i know this as a FACT just wanted to have back up as SOME people get very frustrated because THEY dont know the facts.
HPI silver is also slightly softer then tamiya blue.
also the HPI spring seems more consistant under compresion while the tamiya ones seem to get a tad stiffer under load.any comments.thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

I believe tamiya white is harder.
Do you have both Tamiya white & HPI gold in your hand now?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trf racer
thank you.
although i know this as a FACT just wanted to have back up as SOME people get very frustrated because THEY dont know the facts.
also the HPI spring seems more consistant under compresion while the tamiya ones seem to get a tad stiffer under load.any comments.thanks
You know it as a fact?
Show me numbers from scientific findings, then I'll believe you.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by caveman
Do you have both Tamiya white & HPI gold in your hand now?
Yes i do. Tamiya white is very slightly harder than the HPI gold.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
I know who made the chart... Me.

I'll be the first to say it probably isn't as accurate as possible. But then again, I don't have the time/money/equipment to test all the springs out there... the chart is formed as much as possible from information that is readily avaliable (i.e. manufactuers numbers), otherwise it is what I've been sent/read with regard to other peoples findings.

The biggest problem is Tamiya don't release the rates of their springs (believe me, I've tried to get it before)... and without knowing the Kc (spring constant) value of the material, and lacking proper load reading equipment to do it myself, the values are only as accurate as I have been told.

I am going to look into getting my Tamiya springs tested this week, might be able to pull some strings at work over it...

Ed
who ever it was,.[not sure if it was yours or not.] it doesnt matter because i tend to go with what i know and not what someone else thinks they know.
as alot on forums,other people are wrong and if you do your own research and get it wrong then its your own fault.
no flaming here just backing me own backside after some people can get stressy.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
You know it as a fact?
Show me numbers from scientific findings, then I'll believe you.
i know it as a fact in as much i will not believe anyone telling me different.
and that certain top drivers wouldnt put springs on to make them grip roll ah?
hold on gonna do some tests.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

Yes i do. Tamiya white is very slightly harder than the HPI gold.
I said they are very close, never said they are the same. Yeah, very slightly harder, if HPI goldis 19lb/in, then Tamiya white will be 19.xxlb/in, less than 20lb/in for sure. Because HPI white(20.3) is noticeably harder.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

tamiya blue 2mm thick 6.coil 16mm wide
HPI silver 1.5mm thick 6 coils 16.6mm wide
tamiya white 2mm 7 coils 16mm wide

this was done using a micrometer.
i havent got HPI gold.if anyone who can do this please post the results.
also were the coil starts and ends are very different on all springs and this would make a difference as on the whites the start and end of the coils are made before they meet in a center line,were as on the blues they start and end past each other.
HPI silvers are also the same as whites.
HPI silver is sooo much softer the tamiya blue,theres so much of a difference
Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

HPI silver is 6.5 coils, 1.5mm thick.
HPI gold is 6.0 coils, 1.53mm thick.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by caveman
HPI silver is 6.5 coils, 1.5mm thick.
HPI gold is 6.0 coils, 1.53mm thick.
on the HPI silver its like there a quater of a spring mising from the start coil to the end coil,do you see what i mean?
how does this effect tension.if they met ion a staright line would this be harder or softer?
thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

tamiya blue 2mm thick 6.coil 16mm wide
HPI silver 1.5mm thick 6 coils 16.6mm wide
tamiya white 2mm 7 coils 16mm wide

this was done using a micrometer.
i havent got HPI gold.if anyone who can do this please post the results.
also were the coil starts and ends are very different on all springs and this would make a difference as on the whites the start and end of the coils are made before they meet in a center line,were as on the blues they start and end past each other.
HPI silvers are also the same as whites.
HPI silver is sooo much softer the tamiya blue,theres so much of a difference
Man I'd swear my Tamiya blue only had 4.25 ACTIVE coils and that the diameter of the wire was only 1.4mm (with paint removed). This is using my digital caliper. Bear in mind i'm an engineer so I know how to use it.

I'd give you one point : HPI silver feels about the same as Tamiya blue, and Tamiya white feels about the same as HPI white. But how they feel don't mean much, only measurements can provide accurate data. I think speedtech can help us there he had the Yokomo spring's values taken on a dedicated machine.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

thank you.
Wow I'd like you to show me the deflection vs load curve and prove that. Heli springs don't get "stiffer" under load otherwise there would be no way to calculate stiffness

I'm not frustrated, but you don't know facts. See my HPI silvers feels softer than my tamiya blue. but then again, my tamiya blue only have 1.45mm thick wire when yours have 2mm thick wire (did tamiya change their springs over time ?).

Edit : just sent an email to steve @ speed tech asking him if he had them tested and if not if he'd test them for us
Old 02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Rick:
When running the pro 4 suspension, what axles etc do you use (HPI or Tamiya LW)? I presume you need all the different bearing etc aswell, but I don't know.

Cheers
Dan Chambers
Old 02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Anyone have any alloy suspension blocks they would like to part with? I need alot of them. PM me with what you have. thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by maxepower
Steve at WWW.SPEEDTECHRC.COM , sure will be able to get them thru TAMIYA and should be able to sell them at a reasonable price! He's my main connection for all my Tamiya needs!!
I thought so too, but I e-mailed Steve in December and I'm still waiting for a response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.