Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
Carl;
Cough Cough... check my sig

Had one on my MSX for a few weeks (and previously had a double on my std too), Boy do they work well
I've just wired it up to the batt terminals on the speedo, and it starts up as soon as you plug the batts in. Also means the fans are running when the car is on the table after a run... useful when you need to work on the motor quickly

Much advised (Malcs a good bloke too)
Laters
Ed
Cheers ED
Do you know you were one of my 1st customers that came thruogh JP. remember that far back? and nearly 1,000 kits sold to date
Thanks again ED TCCFM
Old 01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am wondering what the effects of having the urethane bushings in the shocks (red foam peice 53577) are and having them out and how this effects the handling of the car .

Thanks, Charles
Old 01-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
I am wondering what the effects of having the urethane bushings in the shocks (red foam peice 53577) are and having them out and how this effects the handling of the car .

Thanks, Charles
outdoors we dont use them. its a compensator for when the piston moves up and down.it controls surge flow when the piston moves.
can you post what set up you use at ur track and what sort of grip level there is.
thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trakside Trucke
Cheers ED
Do you know you were one of my 1st customers that came thruogh JP. remember that far back? and nearly 1,000 kits sold to date
Thanks again ED TCCFM
I remember... and do you also remember i was one of the first to break a bracket too bloody wall jumping out in front of me

BTW, I have now reverted to the carbon collars. The longer one needed a slight rub on sandpaper, as when I tightened them down, the rear would stand proud. Now the bracket sits perfect.

Cheers
Ed
Old 01-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trf racer
outdoors we dont use them. its a compensator for when the piston moves up and down.it controls surge flow when the piston moves.
can you post what set up you use at ur track and what sort of grip level there is.
thanks
I haven't used the car yet but i will be using it this weekend on high grip carpet with slick tyres. The thing i have done to it just before the event are that i have moved the rear shocks in a hole and moved the from ones out, taken the rear roll bar off and but a direct pulley and spool in (usually the cars are really 'pointy').

Charles
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Carpet wars 2 dayer is coming up so i am about to get loads of practice in with my msx. I have one currently with the LTW suspension on and one with the std suspension on. Does anyone think it is worth me getting a 2mm chassis cut to try? Also got a ride accord body coming and a mazda 6 any others worth getting?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think you should try a 2mm chassis. If you want more flex, then instead of tightening down the top deck with the normal screws... get some flat head screws and some black orings and tighten it down with that. You can start with the steering post screws and go from there... Just an idea..
Old 01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Draper
Carpet wars 2 dayer is coming up so i am about to get loads of practice in with my msx. I have one currently with the LTW suspension on and one with the std suspension on. Does anyone think it is worth me getting a 2mm chassis cut to try? Also got a ride accord body coming and a mazda 6 any others worth getting?
Rick : you know I've been using one and I find it really good. On carpet you really need to adjust the Roll Centres though. I have 1mm under the front blocks and 2 under the rear ones, and of course loads of spacers for the upper links...

BTW am I the only one to think Tamiya should seriously think about giving springs at random in their kits ? I currently have 8 pairs of yellow springs : 2 i had with the 414M, 2 with the springs sets, 2 with the 415 and 2 with the MSX...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KilRuf
I don't think you should try a 2mm chassis. If you want more flex, then instead of tightening down the top deck with the normal screws... get some flat head screws and some black orings and tighten it down with that. You can start with the steering post screws and go from there... Just an idea..
Trust me thinner chassis ain't about flex at all, it's about lower CoG and RC (not for carpet that RC thing though). I have one on my car and it's as stiff as the tamiya 3mm chassis, just a different grade of C/F. Yet I have much more grip and the car's also easier to drive.

Last edited by TRF415boy; 01-05-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
BTW am I the only one to think Tamiya should seriously think about giving springs at random in their kits ? I currently have 8 pairs of yellow springs : 2 i had with the 414M, 2 with the springs sets, 2 with the 415 and 2 with the MSX...
Me too! haha... I'll second that notion... At leas the TA05 came with Silver springs.....
Old 01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Trust me thinner chassis ain't about flew at all, it's about lower CoG and RC (not for carpet that RC thing though). I have one on my car and it's as stiff as the tamiya 3mm chassis, just a different grade of C/F. Yet I have much more grip and the car's also easier to drive.
Ahh sweet.. I didn't think about lower CoG...
Old 01-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by KilRuf
Ahh sweet.. I didn't think about lower CoG...
Ah ah ah just realized i wrote flew instead of flex...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Haha, I thought FLEW might be some british word or term for flex or something haha... I just went with it.. haha..
Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Draper
Hello Rick,

I have found the stiffer 3mm chassis to work better on carpet than the 2.5mm! The car is much more responsive and traction is about the same actually, but most important, the laptimes are faster with the 3mm

Also. the old suspension is easier to set up for carpet, it always work!!

I have been running the Accord body lately and I really like it, but if traction is low I would use the Stratus 3.0AP or the Mazda!

Good luck!!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eirik
Hello Rick,

I have found the stiffer 3mm chassis to work better on carpet than the 2.5mm! The car is much more responsive and traction is about the same actually, but most important, the laptimes are faster with the 3mm

Also. the old suspension is easier to set up for carpet, it always work!!

I have been running the Accord body lately and I really like it, but if traction is low I would use the Stratus 3.0AP or the Mazda!

Good luck!!
Hey Eirik,
may i know which stabilizer bar that you used for your MSX becasue the original MSX kit only came two piece only? izzit the TA 05 stabalizer set? or other? thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.