Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

I had that problem before (the spinning thing when you turn). I found out it was a screw that backed out. Check to make sure all your screws are tight.

You might want to also recheck your ride height. One side might be lower then the other and the chassis might be hitting the ground when you turn. Is your tire rubbing on your body when you turn? Is your suspension arm free and not sticking? Check you pins. Good luck! Hope you get it all worked out.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I haven't changed settings at all from the MS (on my TX) but I haven't checked that. I will take a look at that, that's probably my problem from the sounds of it.

Will take a look at it when I get some spare time, bloody uni work!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Deffiently sounds like somethings wrong there. I won't pretend that my first few runs with the MSX were perfect (they weren't) but that was more down to me rushing set-up, and not taking my time... still the car proved it's potential too me on sunday. Can't wait to take it too it's natural habitat this weekend (outdoor asphalt)... fingers crossed that 18lapper is in sight...

Later
Ed
Old 10-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ukmaxx
you have to alter the steering on the radio because the steering plate is much lower than before. also the long turnbuckle that goes from the servo to the steering linkage must be lengthened.

As far as tweak in the chassis, i made sure i built everything up together, but not tight, i placed the rear bulkheads on a flat table before attaching to the chassis. this ensured they were screwed together on a flat surface thus reducing the amount of tweak in the car. this can be a problem if not done correctly as the rear bulkhead has a number of peices to it.

my first heat with the car wasn't good as i hadn't adjusted the radio, but once i did, the rest of the day was awesome. i used the exact same setup from the ms and it was faster, easier to drive and alot smoother. i think having all new bits helped as well, along with the bling factor!!!

Add more throw? Or less? I'm going to be running mine this weekend, I just want to know if I need to go back and check before I get to the track.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F. Alonso
Just got back from a dismal first running with the MSX. The car is sooo ridiculously tweaked or something, really weird. The suspension arms and shocks are identical from a race meet that I had not too long ago but the car just is understeering horribly to the right and just spins when I go to turn left. The heats are so short so I didn't get a chance to fix it so I went back home. Very disappointing but I certainly felt as if the car was going to be great, once I sort this issue out.

On the tweak station, everything reports as perfect, as does my alignment station, so I'm not quite sure what is wrong, but I need to fix it. I mainly just need to go down to the track for a little while and try some things, then hopefully it will be something simple or something.
Simon-

Check all of the radio trims, binds in the suspension, tweak and ride height.

Which chassis did you mount the MSX kit on?

Mod, stock or 19T?

Rubber tire? Bad set of tire perhaps? Sidewalls?

I had a really tough time with the car this past Saturday. I had to run heavier springs and oil than I would have normally used with my MS. The MSX generates more grip. For stock and 19T the car was pretty good but for mod something else was needed. For mod, the car felt vague in the corners and understeered going in, and oversteered mid to exit. It was not as point-and-shoot as the MS was.

Sunday, I tore the car down to check for any ailments with nothing found. I ended up installing a center post directly below the belt tensioner, from the top deck and into the lower chassis (drilling and countersinking this hole is required with the MS Chassis). This significantly helped my issues. The car was more consistent, carried the corner speed of the MS, great in the high speed transitions and generated the grip for low-medium bite asphalt. This was the car I was expecting in the MSX. This center post assembly work by reducing the front chassis flex of the car (using the MS Chassis). Setup is everything and everyone’s track will vary.

I suspect that the use of the thicker chassis will help this car but I also feel that it can work with the MS chassis. With as much thought as Tamiya put into the lowered MSX bulkheads, it seems rather pointless to raise the CG up again by using a 3mm or greater chassis.

Just another view. Hope it helps.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Buyer Beware

Default original 415

my boyfriend just bought a new original 415,but we have a question,does anyone have a wiring diagram,this is our first electric car so we need to know about which wire goes where,what need to be soldered...please help if possible...thanks kitty
Old 10-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Good info Mark D. I'm still on the fence whether to get the msx upgrade or not.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

As this is the car im after, figured id post here. Sorry if it is in the wrong spot.

Im looking for a 415 (ms or msx etc) second hand or new. I have a 1/8th race setup to trade which is for sale at the moment -

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86884

It cost me over $1000 to get it to the stage its at. So anyone interested in going 1/8th gas racing, and has an extra 415 or two, please PM me. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by forty6
Good info Mark D. I'm still on the fence whether to get the msx upgrade or not.
Just received my MSX upgrade from sppedtech last night. I'd answer your questions as a big YES....not cause the upgrade will make us any faster, although we all hope it does...just the simple fact that it takes about 3 minutes to swap / repair both diffs is worth every $$$ spend.

My capital investment in Tamiya electric sedans has exceeded my entire 1/8th scale on-road budget....
Old 10-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Just received my MSX upgrade from sppedtech last night. I'd answer your questions as a big YES....not cause the upgrade will make us any faster, although we all hope it does...just the simple fact that it takes about 3 minutes to swap / repair both diffs is worth every $$$ spend.

My capital investment in Tamiya electric sedans has exceeded my entire 1/8th scale on-road budget....

Haha, I hear you on the wrenching and investment pain. btw Carl, I still have your carpet setup on my ride with only a few minor tweaks.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Originally Posted by MDawson

I suspect that the use of the thicker chassis will help this car but I also feel that it can work with the MS chassis. With as much thought as Tamiya put into the lowered MSX bulkheads, it seems rather pointless to raise the CG up again by using a 3mm or greater chassis.

Just another view. Hope it helps.
So, does anyone else think the 3mm chassis may serve as a better platform for this conversion?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by forty6
Haha, I hear you on the wrenching and investment pain. btw Carl, I still have your carpet setup on my ride with only a few minor tweaks.
Would be interested in a carpet setup if you wouldn't mind sharing....
Old 10-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mr. Medel has Kiyo Suzuki's foam carpet setup from the IIC and should be posted on the TamiyaUSA site soon.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by F. Alonso
Just got back from a dismal first running with the MSX. The car is sooo ridiculously tweaked or something, really weird. The suspension arms and shocks are identical from a race meet that I had not too long ago but the car just is understeering horribly to the right and just spins when I go to turn left. The heats are so short so I didn't get a chance to fix it so I went back home. Very disappointing but I certainly felt as if the car was going to be great, once I sort this issue out.

On the tweak station, everything reports as perfect, as does my alignment station, so I'm not quite sure what is wrong, but I need to fix it. I mainly just need to go down to the track for a little while and try some things, then hopefully it will be something simple or something.

I am just putting together a brand new 415MS and have found while assembling the front one-way that one of the one-way bearings is in backwards. right side will drive and left side will freewheel and under braking the right will freewheel and the left will brake. I do not know if the MSX has the same one-way in the front or if you are using it but that would cause some very bad handling.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I also need a good carpet starting setup. I have my first big race this Saturday with the car, actually first big touring race in 4 years. We run foam tires and I really dont know were to start setting this thing up. Thanks. Also its a regular 415

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.