Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tryhard,

swaybars only make the suspension feel stiffer in the corners, hence, reducing weigth transfer in the corners as the swaybar thickness is increased. on the straigth parts of the track the stiffness of the suspension more or less reflects the spring rate without much influence from the swaybars.

Cheerz
Old 04-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by TryHard
If i'm currently running white springs on the front with no sway bars, would it be similar running blue springs with a red roll bar?
There is a difference for several reasons. As you know, sway bars are also referred to as anti-roll bars because they reduce chassis roll. This is done by resisting weight transfer to the outside tire by transferring some of that weight back to the inside tire. Because of this, it also keeps the chassis flatter through corners and tends to improve steering response. This doesn’t mean that weight transfer is bad. You need some level of weight transfer to the outside tire during cornering to maximize grip. However, too much is not good and can overload the suspension and tire causing loss of grip. I was going to type a really long explanation but it’s probably better to keep it simple.

Basically, you usually don’t want to control chassis roll with springs and oil only. Reason being is you can often compromise too much. The spring should only be stiff enough to support the weight of the chassis on that particular corner. This includes cornering force, acceleration force, braking force, bumps and every combination in between. Using a stiffer spring alone to reduce chassis roll can sometimes be too stiff over all making the car twitchy or chatter over bumps. It can also load the outside tires excessively with very little weight on the inside tires which can either cause loss of grip due to overheating or overloading of the tires or just accelerated wear on the tires. In that same situation, using softer springs and adding sway bars will transfer some of the cornering force to the inside tires sharing the load, making the chassis more efficient yet still handle the undulations of the track surface. A scenario where you might want to remove sway bars would be on low bite surfaces to maximize weight on the outside tire. It all depends on the conditions. Just keep in mind that sway bars are a tuning aid and knowing what they do will tell you when you need them.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Besercoe
I would say you have not prepared the chassis properly then, sand the batt slots until the bottom of the cells are sitting flush with the chassis, once this is dont there is no way the cells can come out.
I think I need to desolder my batteries, straighten them up in the Deans battery builder and resolder them. They are pretty bent from bouncing across ashphalt all the time

Might even look at putting some padding on the underside of the strap.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Swaybars: use em when your car bogs down entering corners, but works great in all other aspects. Usually the spring rate that allows god for/aft rolling allows for too much side to side rolling hence the use of swaybars.

I prefer to adjust droop whith the wheels on my car. This particuarly useful for foams and can account for differences in diameter between different wheels, or even different wheels left to right, front to rear.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

On the batteries. When you build them use some shoe goo, or equivilant to glue the cells together into a brick. This helps alot, especially for people who tend to still hit some boards occasionally.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Question:

If you have a push at initial turn in, do you use a harder or softer sway bar to correct this?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by stonedgti
Question:

If you have a push at initial turn in, do you use a harder or softer
sway bar to correct this?

What kind of surface?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Sway Bars

Originally posted by David J.
I only detach the sway bar during the initial setting of droop and if I haven’t set up the sway bars yet because it can affect droop like you mentioned. If you’re setting up a new car, you want to have the sway bars and shocks disconnected and set your droop first. This insures that your left and right arms are set exactly the same height which is critical in order to properly set up you sway bars. Your actual operating droop setting doesn’t even matter at this point as long as the distance from the top of the axle to the tweak board is the same left and right. Once this is set, you can set up you sway bars.

Once your sway bars are set, you shouldn’t have to disconnect them every time you check or set your droop. It is a good idea to check your sway bars periodically though.
sweeeeet! thanks man. appreciate the help.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by stonedgti
Question:

If you have a push at initial turn in, do you use a harder or softer sway bar to correct this?
You could go stiffer in the rear swaybar or softer in the front to get more initial turn inn..... you could also move the rear shock out one hole on the tower to get more turn inn.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Atlas Diff Covers

Would anyone be willing to order me some on there next order. I am good for the mula. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default toe blocks

OK guys, my 415MS kit hasn't arrived yet and i want to stock up on toe blocks before it gets here, can anyone tell me which ones come with the 415MS kit, Just so i dont double up when i order some more. Cheers
~Jack
Old 04-22-2005, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Atlas Diff Covers

Originally posted by Ill Factor
Would anyone be willing to order me some on there next order. I am good for the mula. Any help is much appreciated.
I have 2 extra packs, p.m. your address
Old 04-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Atlas Diff Covers

Originally posted by dawgmeat
I have 2 extra packs, p.m. your address
Would you happen to let me buy the other pack from you? I'll pay ASAP via PayPal (if you have an account)!

Jun R.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: toe blocks

Originally posted by Jack2
OK guys, my 415MS kit hasn't arrived yet and i want to stock up on toe blocks before it gets here, can anyone tell me which ones come with the 415MS kit, Just so i dont double up when i order some more. Cheers
~Jack
anybody ? ?? ???
Old 04-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: toe blocks

Originally posted by Jack2
anybody ? ?? ???
XA, XB, XC and XD or get the 415MS world championship parts set which includes the suspension blocks that i mention plus the aluminum rear hub and the direct center pulley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.