Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by straightaway
Hi guys,

I just got a MRE and I put the novak 5.5 BL system. what pinion should I run? I am using the stock 104 gear. Thanks in advance.
Small Track: Start with 22
Medium Track: 24
Big Track: 26-27
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
tryhard:
countersunk would be nice
also
how about trying something like the xray adj top deck..make the same size cut outs and use the xray parts for the stiffener...

maybe you could even leave the screw hole on the batt side off..the one that holds the antenna mount on the electronics side
Countersinking is something I think I'm deffo gonna do. Not sure about the adjustable top deck... never really seen the advantage of it (more weight high up)

And I was thinking about removing thoose scew holes already... great minds and all
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
Countersinking is something I think I'm deffo gonna do. Not sure about the adjustable top deck... never really seen the advantage of it (more weight high up)
not on mine then plz countersink is useless IMHO.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Hasn't the current car been designed on CAD as it cheaper to do than hand drafting.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Need help with Ratio ( rollout) PLEASE

Hi Guy's
I am setting up a car for our opening of the Gold coast Track in OZ for tommorrow.
I have all my TRF's set up for 540 and Stock but I need a good starting ratio for my MSX in Modified please. The track has 2 long straight's around 100 feet. and is twisty and tight in other part's.So I need good speed and punch as well.
I am going to be using sorex 36
A Orion Revolution black with a blue end bell on it.I think it's a 8 single.
Can some one please suggest a good starting gear set up for this motor please.
Thank's Guy's
Addam
PS
Martin Crisp, I love your book, Great work there mate on that one.
Keep em coming.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 4mm bottom deck

OK then guys quick question here, I have just got hold of a 4mm bottom deck for my 415MSX (came with a big bundle of goodies) I was thinking of using it on my carpet car with rubbers, has anyone had any experience of racing with this setup, and is it worth the change over, from the standard trim.

Many thanks in advance
Old 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Quickie

Quick question....I'm considering buying the reinhard edition for my next foam carpet car.Can I get some quick opinions on this car for carpet with foams? Would appreciate it.Thanks,Mario.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lotus1
Quick question....I'm considering buying the reinhard edition for my next foam carpet car.Can I get some quick opinions on this car for carpet with foams? Would appreciate it.Thanks,Mario.
The car is great with Foams on Carpet, Only problem is getting them to fit. To make it work properly you will need to get HPI/Hot Bodies steering Knuckles/spindles and HPI/Hot Bodies Axels. You do that and your set.

Next thing is the new MRE Steering system is a little bit more aggresive then the older one, so you might want to consider using the old style steering system to calm it down a bit. I am sure you could figure out how to calm the new steering down as well by just adding some spacers behind the ballstuds in the rack to change the Akerman until you get the feel you want. Just keep in mind instead of resorting back to the old steering system try to work with the new one as much as possible as it is way more adjustable...
Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

hey guys,
just some designs of top decks I've been playing around with for the MRE.

Let me know what you think.

Ed
I'd be interested in the last two... of course countersunked
Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey guys,
just some designs of top decks I've been playing around with for the MRE.

Let me know what you think.

Ed
Look good Ed! But what would be nice would be one that has wings on it so you can use standoff posts on the front of the chassis..... Also i have seen some people make Carbon Rear upper bulkhead peices that have wings on them for the rear chassis stiffeners as well, which i think would be really nice to have.....maybe look into those if your intersted....
Josh
Old 09-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Josh Numan
Look good Ed! But what would be nice would be one that has wings on it so you can use standoff posts on the front of the chassis..... Also i have seen some people make Carbon Rear upper bulkhead peices that have wings on them for the rear chassis stiffeners as well, which i think would be really nice to have.....maybe look into those if your intersted....
Josh
Good idea Josh... I saw some pics of Steens car (I think) from the IIC, saw he had a few custom top decks, and the carbion rear brace.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by Josh Numan
The car is great with Foams on Carpet, Only problem is getting them to fit. To make it work properly you will need to get HPI/Hot Bodies steering Knuckles/spindles and HPI/Hot Bodies Axels. You do that and your set.

Next thing is the new MRE Steering system is a little bit more aggresive then the older one, so you might want to consider using the old style steering system to calm it down a bit. I am sure you could figure out how to calm the new steering down as well by just adding some spacers behind the ballstuds in the rack to change the Akerman until you get the feel you want. Just keep in mind instead of resorting back to the old steering system try to work with the new one as much as possible as it is way more adjustable...
Thanks for the reply/insight.Got the hot bodies parts as my daughter races a cyclone.Got some time for testing as the season doesn't start till november.I typically use 26mm foams for the cyclone,These might fit without the mods??Anyhoo,Thanks again,Mario.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Initiate

hye you guys!

im quite new in this forum.. im currently running on TT-01 *converted to R Spec. Im from Malaysia by the way...

im so delighted to see this forum as so many people share their thoughts and there so many to be learnt from here.

i have a few question tho' if all u guys can help me solve the puzzle i have in my head. here goes...

1. Im in the verge of buying a used unit of TRF415 MSX. Not the MRE tho'. still cant afford it. but there is some question in my mind regarding the chasis i am buying. The Owner of the chasis, who is currently using MRE now is selling off his MSX but he said he's MSX is upgraded from the original. The thing that bothers me.. is the TRF Shocks Absorbers are the older version. It is not the latest Blue Coated Carved with Strips, but it is Blue Coated without the Strip. From all you guys here, how old do u think this chasis is?

2. if anyone in this forum were to sell a TRF415 MSX, how much will it be? the person who is selling me the Chasis is selling it to me at USD$280 Plus a Spare Chasis (the Carbon Lower Deck)

3. Is this a good buy? I mean, i dont want people to think im stupid to be buying some old dumpster at that price as i am also not having so much $. so i would really appreciate if u guys could give some thoughts into this and help me make the decision. Ive played r/c for sometime, but never venture into Serious Carbon Evo Chasis or whatever, this is my first attempt and i want to at least try not to make too many mistakes.

Overall of the Chasis is in Good Condition. Altho some of the Titanium Screws are worn-off because of touching ground on circuit. The Steering Block has some Dis-colored prolly results from friction. He's willing to give me a new pair of Belting and others.. i seriously dont know.

4. What should i do.. what should i look at.. what should i take note before taking the car? Which part should i take a close, microscopic look... Please Help guys!!

CHeers to All!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pyro2905
hye you guys!

im quite new in this forum.. im currently running on TT-01 *converted to R Spec. Im from Malaysia by the way...

im so delighted to see this forum as so many people share their thoughts and there so many to be learnt from here.

i have a few question tho' if all u guys can help me solve the puzzle i have in my head. here goes...

1. Im in the verge of buying a used unit of TRF415 MSX. Not the MRE tho'. still cant afford it. but there is some question in my mind regarding the chasis i am buying. The Owner of the chasis, who is currently using MRE now is selling off his MSX but he said he's MSX is upgraded from the original. The thing that bothers me.. is the TRF Shocks Absorbers are the older version. It is not the latest Blue Coated Carved with Strips, but it is Blue Coated without the Strip. From all you guys here, how old do u think this chasis is?

2. if anyone in this forum were to sell a TRF415 MSX, how much will it be? the person who is selling me the Chasis is selling it to me at USD$280 Plus a Spare Chasis (the Carbon Lower Deck)

3. Is this a good buy? I mean, i dont want people to think im stupid to be buying some old dumpster at that price as i am also not having so much $. so i would really appreciate if u guys could give some thoughts into this and help me make the decision. Ive played r/c for sometime, but never venture into Serious Carbon Evo Chasis or whatever, this is my first attempt and i want to at least try not to make too many mistakes.

Overall of the Chasis is in Good Condition. Altho some of the Titanium Screws are worn-off because of touching ground on circuit. The Steering Block has some Dis-colored prolly results from friction. He's willing to give me a new pair of Belting and others.. i seriously dont know.

4. What should i do.. what should i look at.. what should i take note before taking the car? Which part should i take a close, microscopic look... Please Help guys!!

CHeers to All!!!!!!
The 415MSX is an excellent chassis, you wil not be disappointed with this car. The one you are buying most likely started it's life as a TRF415 or TRF 415MS (1 to 2 yrs old) and was converted to a MSX via the MSX conversion kit that came out about a year ago or so. I would not be worried about the shocks, if they are the TRF Dampners that originally came with the car, they will be very good, the newer versions have the knurled caps and bases (cosmetic), but the shocks will perform the same. As far as the price, $280.00 in todays market sounds high, unless the car is in excellent shape or comes with additional spare parts and/or some electronics. Because the new MRE version just came out, many 415MSX owners are selling their current cars to upgrade and theer are quite a few out in the market currently. I would think you could get a very good 415MSX for around $200.00 US. Good Luck.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pyro2905
hye you guys!

CHeers to All!!!!!!
I'll second the price being a little high, though I don't know what they go for brand new in Malaysia. But if an older car's an option for you, you really can't go wrong with any of the 415-series....more than enough tuning options, finely finished parts, and extremely durable.

Hell, I'm still running my original 415 w/ EVO IV suspension being the only "significant" upgrade and haven't found any reason to even add the MSX upgrades to it....it's that good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.