Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miccal
Thanks for the help. I already have TryHard's Excel sheet with the springs data. The problem is, I am having trouble finding the part numbers for the springs listed, and I am not sure about these "normal" ones and the "short" ones - which type do I need?
you will be fine with the set (red, yellow, blue and white) you mentioned. Only in some cases with foams you will need the short ones (which I also have). In general, for asphalt, stock ones (yellow) are fine, perhaps in very grip conditions blue in the front are the answer... I haven't use so far any other combination besides (asphalt)
- full yellow
- blue front, yellow back
- yellow front, red back (rainy day)

cheers,
al
Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I already have TryHard's Excel sheet with the springs data. The problem is, I am having trouble finding the part numbers for the springs listed, and I am not sure about these "normal" ones and the "short" ones - which type do I need?
"Normal" springs (approx. 25mm free length) are as the On-Road Tuned Hard Spring Set #53440. The set has 1 pair of red/yellow/blue/white.
"Short" springs (approx. 18mm free length) are as follows:
On Road Short Spring Set Soft (Red) #53630
On Road Short Spring Set Medium (Yellow) #53631
On Road Short Spring Set Hard (Blue) #53632
On Road Short Spring Set Extra Hard (White) #53633
These sets are pairs.

HTH

Last edited by peejay; 07-24-2007 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Okay, then what about the purple, gray and silver ones? And what about:

53636 Ultra Hard Spring
53635 Super Hard Spring

What color are they?

So if I am running rubber/asphalt I should get the normal ones, not the short ones?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Hi Miccal,

Thats a good idea... I'll try and add the part numbers to the sheet, where I can.

You can use either, but most people use the normal springs. The short springs were for the short CVA shocks found on some previous generation cars, althogh still fit the bigger (current) shocks.

The extra sets (purple and gray) are very hard, so you'd only really need them if you use foams. You should be fine with the normal length set, with red, yellow, blue, and white. Bear in mind you need two sets for 4 of each spring (each set contains a pair of each colour).

You can also use HPI springs (Blue, Silver and Gold seem the prefered sets), but Xray, and AE springs also fit.

Persoanlly, I very rarely use anything apart from Tamiya Yellow, blue and white, and HPI Blue and Silver.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Well, it never hurts to have a big selection of springs, but for specifics on which ones are which, I'd suggest you go to TryHard's website(it's in his signature, you'll find his posts in this thread), it explains them all quite well. And as for the sway bar set for the TA05, yes, it's the same that the 415's use(& one set will accomodate the front & rear, & come with 3 sets of bars)......
Originally Posted by rampal
you will be fine with the set (red, yellow, blue and white) you mentioned. Only in some cases with foams you will need the short ones (which I also have). In general, for asphalt, stock ones (yellow) are fine, perhaps in very grip conditions blue in the front are the answer... I haven't use so far any other combination besides (asphalt)
- full yellow
- blue front, yellow back
- yellow front, red back (rainy day)

cheers,
al
Originally Posted by peejay
"Normal" springs (approx. 25mm free length) are as the On-Road Tuned Hard Spring Set #53440. The set has 1 pair of red/yellow/blue/white.
"Short" springs (approx. 18mm free length) are as follows:
On Road Short Spring Set Soft (Red) #53630
On Road Short Spring Set Medium (Yellow) #53631
On Road Short Spring Set Hard (Blue) #53632
On Road Short Spring Set Extra Hard (White) #53633
These sets are pairs.

HTH
Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi Miccal,

Thats a good idea... I'll try and add the part numbers to the sheet, where I can.

You can use either, but most people use the normal springs. The short springs were for the short CVA shocks found on some previous generation cars, althogh still fit the bigger (current) shocks.

The extra sets (purple and gray) are very hard, so you'd only really need them if you use foams. You should be fine with the normal length set, with red, yellow, blue, and white. Bear in mind you need two sets for 4 of each spring (each set contains a pair of each colour).

You can also use HPI springs (Blue, Silver and Gold seem the prefered sets), but Xray, and AE springs also fit.

Persoanlly, I very rarely use anything apart from Tamiya Yellow, blue and white, and HPI Blue and Silver.

HiH
Ed
Thankyou all for your help, now I get it!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello
Can you give me some advice how to setup my MRE for European Championships in Montbrison?

Will Mazda6 Protoform be good?
One way or spool?
What oil and pistons?

Thank you in advance and see you in Montbrison.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
It should fit!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by chumanji
I am sure this has been ask already...but with 630pg in this thread there are too many pages to sort.

I would like to fit a orion 3200 pack in my TRF415, but found that i have to: 1) Grind away the Al mounts,
2) grind material from the battery itself
3) get the stick pack conversion 49436.

Can someone please post some pictures of each of the options I listed. I would like to take a look at how that would turn out.

One last question. If there a battery brace kit that would fit the 415? I am not very good with tapes...
You don't have to grind anything out. The 3200 was specifically designed to fit the 415! Try again! Swing the stick pack under the bulkhead and you will see it fits!
Isn't there a picture on the Tamiya website?
I thought there was!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-stick-pack-conversion-49385.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

I tried the swing the pack thing. Guess my pack is a bit thicker or something. Because after I swing it in, the bulkhead notch would press on the center flat portion of battery very tightly.

Originally Posted by maxepower
You don't have to grind anything out. The 3200 was specifically designed to fit the 415! Try again! Swing the stick pack under the bulkhead and you will see it fits!
I thought there was!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chumanji
I tried the swing the pack thing. Guess my pack is a bit thicker or something. Because after I swing it in, the bulkhead notch would press on the center flat portion of battery very tightly.
the 3200s unfortunately do not fit quite as well in the MRE. the 3200s i had to dremel two sides of the pack in order for them to slide in and out of the rear bulkhead with any effort.

without dremeling the cases, there is a lot of pressure put on the rear bulkhead which MIGHT cause the car to tweak. i didnt want to risk this, so i went ahead and dremeled the cases. check the 3200 thread. i posted photos in there.

- chris
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I disagree. My 3200's fit in my MRE with no issues. Yes, you might have to angle and push the 3200 to fit under the MRE bulkhead. But once in, it floats around freely. At least on my MRE it does. I think how much you dremel/angle our battery slots might affect this some. Another local MRE has the same results.

If anyone here is looking for a MRE, I'll be selling mine real soon. PM me if interested. Gonna clean it up before I take pics and post up in the for sale forums. I'm retiring from racing for a bit....
Old 07-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Tech Addict

I had an MSXX and the stock 3200 doesn´t fit freely... at all. and I followed Chris advice, and dremeled (not that this is a new word...) the battery on the bulkhead and at one of the topdeck screws reach the battery areas. It is very noticeable once you try to position the battery on the outer side with the aim increase balance....

I will try to post pictures once I arrive Madrid again... I'm at Dusseldorf right now and the weather is awful...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rampal
I had an MSXX and the stock 3200 doesn´t fit freely... at all. and I followed Chris advice, and dremeled (not that this is a new word...) the battery on the bulkhead and at one of the topdeck screws reach the battery areas. It is very noticeable once you try to position the battery on the outer side with the aim increase balance....

I will try to post pictures once I arrive Madrid again... I'm at Dusseldorf right now and the weather is awful...
does the MSXX have a stick pack design chassis and if they have will the 3200 or 4800 orion li-po batts fits the chassis
Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have the stick pack conversion for my TRF415MS, and I think the 3200 Carbon Lipo would fit with no problems since the IB4200 stick packs I currently use have a fair bit of free space.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by buboy28
does the MSXX have a stick pack design chassis and if they have will the 3200 or 4800 orion li-po batts fits the chassis
maxepower answer has a pic of the MSXX stick pack conversion...
nevertheless, is is really an small amount of battery case that you have to grind....

Originally Posted by maxepower
I thought there was!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I disagree. My 3200's fit in my MRE with no issues. Yes, you might have to angle and push the 3200 to fit under the MRE bulkhead. But once in, it floats around freely. At least on my MRE it does. I think how much you dremel/angle our battery slots might affect this some. Another local MRE has the same results.

If anyone here is looking for a MRE, I'll be selling mine real soon. PM me if interested. Gonna clean it up before I take pics and post up in the for sale forums. I'm retiring from racing for a bit....
i didnt file down the battery slots too far because of the difference btw IB4200s and EP4200s (never measured, but it was just what "i've heard") in diameter. plus i wasnt sure if another cell was coming, etc etc. funny, i didnt even keep the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.