Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

I tested the long arms vs the short arms back to back several times last year.

My car felt a litle bit stiffer/less roll with the short arms, the car would square up faster and was a litle more responsive, but the most important part was the laptimes. I was always a couple of tents faster with the short arms!

I never went back to the long arms as the short arms suited my driving style allot better!

Also, Marc won the Reedy race race with short arms, Victor won the Andermach race the week before with short arms.....
So, as long as you like the way your car feels with the short arms, stick with them

Cheers,
Eirik
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eirik

My car felt a litle bit stiffer/less roll with the short arms, the car would square up faster and was a litle more responsive, but the most important part was the laptimes. I was always a couple of tents faster with the short arms!

I never went back to the long arms as the short arms suited my driving style allot better!

Also, Marc won the Reedy race race with short arms, Victor won the Andermach race the week before with short arms.....
So, as long as you like the way your car feels with the short arms, stick with them

Cheers,
Eirik
do you have the part number for the short arms??
Old 07-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRacer
do you have the part number for the short arms??
Rocket, you have plenty of them... they're Evo5 arms....
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Adept

Hey

Can anyone point me where i can find Tamiya on road spring difference, thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

THards's website: http://www.thard.co.uk/excel/Universalspringsheet.xls

cheers,
Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eirik

Cheers,
Eirik
I haven't try this yet, but I think short front long rear would be a good combination for asphalt, as most of time I got too many traction on front, too few on rear. Short on front for response, long on rear for traction seems to be a good idea.

Anyone tried short front, long rear?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ttso
I haven't try this yet, but I think short front long rear would be a good combination for asphalt, as most of time I got too many traction on front, too few on rear. Short on front for response, long on rear for traction seems to be a good idea.

I tried this as well last year as I also thougt it would be a really good idea.

However, I did get a more responsive car, but the balance and feel was not right.....

I only changed the arms, no other changes so it might work good if you work on the setup and arm mounts.

Let us know if you try it mate
Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rampal
Rocket, you have plenty of them... they're Evo5 arms....

ah yes, a quick look at my manual told me the same thing i do have lots of those. thanks Rampal!!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ttso

Well, when you change the arm, do you make up for the width difference by changing the blocks? Then putting shorter arms in the front makes that camber link shorter, causing less roll and more traction. Doesn't seem like what you want.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I am thinking of getting a MRE for asphalt rubber racing. What tuning options and spare parts should I look into getting?

Been reading about the Tamiya MSXX top deck and the short arms (even though I dont quite understand them). Are they used in the front or rear? Do you only need the Evo5 arms or do you need anything else?

Anyone have any pictures of their car with a brushless setup?

Does anyone offer a battery hold down for NiMH or Lipo batteries? Most pics I have seen use tape but I wanted a holder for quicker changes.

Last edited by cpatel529; 07-02-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cpatel529
I am thinking of getting a MRE for asphalt rubber racing. What tuning options and spare parts should I look into getting?
The car is great out of the box, if you want, get some RC Square aluminum front uprights, saves on the breakages.
Been reading about the Tamiya MSXX top deck and the short arms (even though I dont quite understand them). Are they used in the front or rear? Do you only need the Evo5 arms or do you need anything else?
The MSXX has a thinner bottom deck to a MRE, but not really much different there. I use short arms at both ends so I don't have any weird suspension chaos. Check the past couple of pages on the short arms, plenty of info on them.
Don't run brushless, sorry.
Does anyone offer a battery hold down for NiMH or Lipo batteries? Most pics I have seen use tape but I wanted a holder for quicker changes.
You can try and hack the bottom deck and fit either an Xray or Schumacher battery holder, but I find them a waste of time, and can tweak the chassis as well. Stick with tape.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is there a difference between the MSX rear shock tower and the MRE rear shock tower and what are the advantages if any?
Also does anyone know who makes a thicker top plate, upper deck for the original TRF415?
Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cpatel529
Here a couple of pics.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

For asphalt and rubber it is recommended to run the spool up front with the locked center shaft correct? How do you accomplish this on the MSXX since it comes with the one-way in the front and the center one-way? What parts are necessary? Is this a necessary change? I have the opportunity to chose between the MRE and the MSXX. The MRE has minimal extra parts and the MSXX has a few more tuning options and spares. They are both about the same price. Not sure which one is the better deal.

What size hex and nut drivers are necessary for the 415 MSX/MRE/MSXX?

Chirag

Last edited by cpatel529; 07-02-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CSF0623
Here a couple of pics.

Hey Carl,

Can I please have a couple of pictures of your bodyshell??
That paintjob looks amazing, just the way I like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.