XRAY T2’009

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-pound-wt.html
Old 10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WheelNut
Thought I'd share the mod I did to my T2 today. It's an 007, but I figure this would work exactly the same on an 009. This setup is a little bit different than most of the lipo wieght mods I've seen, because the weights are running right next to the centre line of the car. The best part though is that it is really cheap, and if your in college like me that is quite important!

It's not too pretty yet since I just threw it together today, so there is a bit of finishing that needs to be done on the battery retainers. The battery retainers were made from an old XB8 TQ radio tray I had lying around. The black anodizing is cool. I've got to redo the wiring as well since the power wires are to short to reach now. I also had ripped out all the electronics in an attempt to mount the on the battery side of the car, which wasn't a problem for the ESC (Tekin FX Pro, tiny), but after much rearranging I felt that this setup would put more mass to the centre of the car.

The lead running down the centre holds the battery in place and is taped in with Parma silicone tape. I've got 144g of lead there. The car weighs in at about 1450g. We are using a 1500g limit up north here this winter, so I've got to add a bit more weight yet, but we'll see what the tech scales read first. My scale is a postal style spring loaded scale, so I can't imagine it's ultra accurate.

The car should balance R/L perfectly once I mount my motor cooling fan. The battery is an SMC S-Max 4500mah, which weighs in at about 250g (If I remember correctly).

The best part about this is that there are no weights placed at the extreme front, rear, or right side of the car. All the ballast weight goes right down the centre. Plus the weights are mostly hidden.

Carpet season doesn't start here for a few more weeks yet, so it'll be a little while before I get a chance to test this setup out on the track.
none of that really matters though. Because if the battery sat where its supposed to and the weights were on the outside of the battery, it would probably balance pretty close to the same thing. All your really doing is moving your weight in dif spots. not making it more balanced.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know that the balance is the same, but moving the weight was the whole point. Putting the weights in the centre of the car makes for a lower polar moment along the longitudinal axis of the car, so there is less weight transfer to the outside in a corner. The lead is more dense than the lipo battery, which I think means that even though the battery is moved quite far from the cars centre line the heaviest part of that side is closest to the centre. Also, the battery I'm using is pretty light, so to make the 1500g minimum weight I have to add over 150g of lead. Normally that lead would have to placed on outside of the battery, in front of the battery and behind the battery. All 3 of those places are very far from the cars CG, which means that they would create more of a pendulum effect.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
I know that the balance is the same, but moving the weight was the whole point. Putting the weights in the centre of the car makes for a lower polar moment along the longitudinal axis of the car, so there is less weight transfer to the outside in a corner. The lead is more dense than the lipo battery, which I think means that even though the battery is moved quite far from the cars centre line the heaviest part of that side is closest to the centre. Also, the battery I'm using is pretty light, so to make the 1500g minimum weight I have to add over 150g of lead. Normally that lead would have to placed on outside of the battery, in front of the battery and behind the battery. All 3 of those places are very far from the cars CG, which means that they would create more of a pendulum effect.
That is a nice text book philosophy. But we want weight transfer with rubber tire. This is how we gain grip. I am sure if this was something that was really important we would see all the top pros going this route. Also the weight of rubber tire is going down to 1420g.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
That is a nice text book philosophy. But we want weight transfer with rubber tire. This is how we gain grip. I am sure if this was something that was really important we would see all the top pros going this route. Also the weight of rubber tire is going down to 1420g.
True, we need weight transfer, but only to a point. That's why we don't have chassis plates that are 190mm wide. The Xray car is still absurdly wide compared to the Losi Type-R. I can't imagine that moving the weight in as much as I have will take reduce the chassis roll to the point where the chassis can't roll at all. I wish we were running 1420g here this year. That would make things a lot nicer. I'd just go with a T3 style layout and flip the diffs to balance if we were running that lower weight limit here.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried that, meaning a ton of weight in the center of the car then balancing with the lipo hanging off. Worked ok.

Then I purchased a battery lipo weight, and moved the battery as far out as I dared to balance the car left to right, then used weight to balance the rest of it front to back like I wanted the bias, and towards our weight rule.

Worked better.

Car is run on medium grip parking lot that is treated with light VHT. Now if I go foam racing on carpet... I want no chassis roll.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Team Orion Just introduced some new cell technology and have some good 45c batts.

ORI14024
Carbon Molecular
5400 45C 7,4V
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

has anybody used the quick roll center holders? just got a set today.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new, Orange T2'009 kit for sale for 475 shipped. The kit is unassembled but I have sealed the chassis and shock tower edges with CA.

PM me if interested
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Body postion

I am new to electric onroad, normaly run 1/8 gas were body postion is very important. I have ordered a T2 009 with a proto form LTC-R body. is there a prefered body position, measuerd from the bumper. The car will have a 10.5 T motor on rubber tires.here is a pic of the track.

http://www.onroadrccarclubbunbury.org.au/Site/index.htm

Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by advfuel
I am new to electric onroad, normaly run 1/8 gas were body postion is very important. I have ordered a T2 009 with a proto form LTC-R body. is there a prefered body position, measuerd from the bumper. The car will have a 10.5 T motor on rubber tires.here is a pic of the track.

http://www.onroadrccarclubbunbury.org.au/Site/index.htm

Thanks
mounting the body against the bumper will give more rear grip while mounting the body forward will make the car more aggressive. I mount mine as low as possible with the body against the bumper. it has a smooth feel and there is less chance of getting cracks.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hi Guys

Just wondering if I can use the front uni's that come with the kit in the rear of the car? I think the only difference is the kit rears are alloy and the fronts are steel. I put ecs drive shafts straight in and was going to sell the kit set but if I can use them in the rear Ill keep them.

Cheers
adrian
Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vazzo
Hi Guys

Just wondering if I can use the front uni's that come with the kit in the rear of the car? I think the only difference is the kit rears are alloy and the fronts are steel. I put ecs drive shafts straight in and was going to sell the kit set but if I can use them in the rear Ill keep them.

Cheers
adrian
you can run the spring steel cvds in the rear. just make sure to never try running the ecs/lcd in the rear. the car would not squat correctly.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Has anyone compared the colored springs to the black springs using the longer shocks that came with the original T2 and 007? More specifically, for carpet on rubber tires. I know this might not be the best thread but is certainly the most active when pertaining to the T2.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dane; 10-26-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new, Orange T2'009 kit for sale for 450 shipped. The kit is unassembled but I have sealed the chassis and shock tower edges with CA.

PM me if interested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.