Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Maybe this has been asked already (heck, maybe I asked this alread, and forgot I did), but how low can the LVC be set on the RS/RS Pro. Need a speedo to run 1/12th with a 13.5 and SMC's new 1S lipo. With or without a receiver pack, too.
It can be set to canned values for 1S, 2S, and 3S lipos or as low as you want it to go in 0.1V increments I believe (with Hotwire). I'll fire it up right now to check.

EDIT: The increments aren't exactly 0.1V, but they're small. However, the lowest it'll go is 3.0V, which is perfect for 1S lipo anyway, but I would think it would be easy for them to let you crank it lower if there were a good reason. I don't know what that reason would be though.

Last edited by reenmachine; 09-01-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only reason to go below 3v is with Lithium Ion cells. There are new cells out that are about sub C sized and about 4000 mAh at single cell voltage. Might be a good alternative for the t-plate guys but LiPo has more capacity at the moment.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all,
I've just started to run RS Pro insted of my LRP speedo and need some help to figure out my setup.
Running 5 cell MOD 4,5T (LRP with factory timing) on a large track.
Used to run LRP ESC throtle profile 4 with 6,2 FDR. This gave me enogh power end runtime.
Started with RS Pro throtle profile 5 and FDR of 6,2 and no top speed (10km/h less on a back straight) When changed FDR to 5,9 I haven't noticed any increase in top speed, only in heat (cells, motor and ESC).

i have Hotwire so any profile can be adjusted.

Thanks a lot.
Z
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpoint
Hi all,
I've just started to run RS Pro insted of my LRP speedo and need some help to figure out my setup.
Used to run LRP ESC throtle profile 4 with 6,2 FDR. This gave me enogh power end runtime.
Started with RS Pro throtle profile 5 and FDR of 6,2 and no top speed (10km/h less on a back straight) When changed FDR to 5,9 I haven't noticed any increase in top speed, only in heat (cells, motor and ESC).

Thanks a lot.
Z
What is your timing setting in the Hotwire? That's what will make the big difference here. The throttle profile doesn't affect your top speed, just the manner in which you accelerate to it. Also, what is your current limit set to?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all,

Thanks a lot.
Z
Are your running in hybrid mode? Please provide more info
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Timing in Hotwire is set to 0 and limit is set to 28 (still did't play with Hotwire). I'm running hybrid (i think, because sensored only is unchecked)

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You'll need to start adding timng to get that straightaway speed back. Try gearing back to the 6.2 ratio and add timing to get your straightaway speed back.

For mod gearing in sedan, I usually start with the lowest timing setting to get the gearing close. Then add timing to get the straightaway speed that I need (without overheating).

Just like any other system, you have to play with both the timing and gearing to get the balance that you need for each track.

In your case, you might end up increasing the current limiter if it's not launching off the corners well. Or just turn it off if there's plenty of bite.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Timing in Hotwire is set to 0 and limit is set to 28 (still did't play with Hotwire). I'm running hybrid (i think, because sensored only is unchecked)

Thanks for all your help guys.
TRy 80% timing. You might need a fan on the speedo as well.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is there a launch mode for starting. I know other ESC's you would hold the brake throttle for like 3 sec and its activated. I could not seem to get off the line quick enough on both my RS and RS Pro......I tried setting the throttle position as high as it can go and turn the current limiter off. It just rolled off to a quick accelerate afterward with a 13.5 RL and the 21.5 RL launch much better with the RS ESC.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a
Is there a launch mode for starting. I know other ESC's you would hold the brake throttle for like 3 sec and its activated. I could not seem to get off the line quick enough on both my RS and RS Pro......I tried setting the throttle position as high as it can go and turn the current limiter off. It just rolled off to a quick accelerate afterward with a 13.5 RL and the 21.5 RL launch much better with the RS ESC.
does it seem to cog when you take off?

I had the problem with the R1, but as soon as I went sensored, it felt like a brushed motor on the launch, just with more power.

if you are running a RS, make sure the sensor plug is all the way in. If its not, it will fail back to sensorless and cog off the start.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It seem like the sensor wires that came with the Red line motors are too big for the harness on the RS/RS Pro (they do not go all the wat down into the slots, so I used the LRP sensor wires which goes all the way down....(I wondered). Normally I would get a squill from the Diff on a launch or just pulling the trigger at low speeds with the other ESC's but not with these, so I am hoping that wiring might be the case.....It would be great if these RS/RS pro ESC's lit another color like amber when the mode are different...that could be an easy way to determine the wiring are doing its part.

But than again could it be the motors do not have the same punch as a SP or Novak because they feel Super Linear like an Orion. I guess I will kick the timing back (from stock setting) and just gear it alittle more.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The sensor harness can be pushed into the slot both ways. Make sure you have the alignment tabs positioned properly.

If you have a hotwire try running higher timing for more top end. If you want more timing overall from Dual mode, run sensored only with the maximum motor timing. However this only sees much of a benefit with 13.5 motors and higher winds like the 17.5,etc.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a
It seem like the sensor wires that came with the Red line motors are too big for the harness on the RS/RS Pro (they do not go all the wat down into the slots, so I used the LRP sensor wires which goes all the way down....(I wondered). Normally I would get a squill from the Diff on a launch or just pulling the trigger at low speeds with the other ESC's but not with these, so I am hoping that wiring might be the case.....It would be great if these RS/RS pro ESC's lit another color like amber when the mode are different...that could be an easy way to determine the wiring are doing its part.

But than again could it be the motors do not have the same punch as a SP or Novak because they feel Super Linear like an Orion. I guess I will kick the timing back (from stock setting) and just gear it alittle more.
I would suggest trying the sensor wire that came with the motor to be sure, but it does sound like its motor cog from sensorless launches.

as for punch, I can pull wheelies on the street with slicks on my B44 with a Redline 7.5, I don't think the motors lack bottom end
Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone on this thread know if there where RS ESC's used by drivers in the A mains at IIC this year?

Also any comments on comparison of the RS to Speedpassion, LRP, Novak in feel, top end speed, corning speed, etc.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Donny Lia, Jeff Cuffs, Mark Smyka all made the A mains in different classes.

Donny took the 1/12 scale 17.5 win with an RS. Mark Smyka won the GT class with his as well.

As always Jeff made the podium and was in his A's as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.