Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Does anyone on this thread know if there where RS ESC's used by drivers in the A mains at IIC this year?
One so far from one page back...

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Donny Lia takes the highly contested 1/12 scale 17.5 handout class win at the IIC race in Vegas!

These were non adjustable handout Speed Passion motors. Donny used an Rs esc and Hotwire to get the win! Proving that when you need all the power you can get to your motor, Tekin has you covered!

Way to go Donny!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

In on-road mod, im almost positive the default timing in hotwire is useless. Also note that in hotwire the suggested timing for 4.5 and 5.5 are back to front.

Most of the team guys are off-roaders so they dont usually want lots of power in their mod motors. Further to this with 5 cell, having less voltage, the motor needs to be pushed harder in any case.

And as suggested a fan blowing over the posts is an absolute must, they also recommend you run a second capacitor on the esc. I had a capacitor blow on my R1 but im off the opinion it blew because of heat as opposed to being a capacity problem (but i dont know really know anything about electronics).
Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a
It would be great if these RS/RS pro ESC's lit another color like amber when the mode are different...that could be an easy way to determine the wiring are doing its part.
Or you could rotate the motor manually with the speedo turned on and watch 3 of the leds light on and off as the motor turns
Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default 3 cell lipo and 13.5 motor

I run a 1/12 pan car (12r5) using 3 cell lipo and 13.5 Speedpassion brushless. With the lightweight 1500 mah lipo, the car is so agile and aggresive. Great works machine for slaying nitro cars. It's really fast on straight line and never had any problem with motor getting more than just "warm".

I right away know that I havent pushed to the limit in term of motor and ESC. Since I just bought a hotwire, what would be the correct timing for me to start with.

Also for the Tekin tech people, can you provide some sort recommended timing and gear for 9.5, 10.5,11.5, 13.5, etc.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For me it the timing is all dependent on what I'm looking for out of the motor.

In general on 13.5's and higher(17.5 etc) higher timing rewards more power. However under heavier loads heat must be watched. A 1/12 scale is light especially with a 3s lipo! I'm sure you could run higher timing and simply get more over all power.

When you get into the modifieds like say an 6.5 and lower less timing is needed because of the extra power. I run dual mode with these because I like the "feel" better not just the power. If I need more power I grab a different motor(most of the time). I run my motor timing in dual mode around 40-60 depending on heat, feel, gearing,etc.

Now for TC, most of our mod TC drivers are still running dual mode but with lower timing say 40. 5 cell is different due to the lower voltages. That's when more timing will be needed to maximize power at that level. We don't have a ton of TC guys running 5 cell here in the states. I would recomend starrting around 80 or so and watch your motor temps!

For mod TC with low turn motors like a 4T or 3.5 etc running a second cap helps with heat as well as a fan blowing on the solder posts. There is a special case that is being developed that will have a heatsink of sorts. It's still in development at this point. But this will be an option/upgrade for the TC guys to get rid of heat. I've yet to get my 4wd offroad mod hotter then 6 leds strapped with a 5.5 on high traction. Some of our UK buddies have seen 7 at times but only on the carpet/grass tracks with a lot of switch backs.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
For me it the timing is all dependent on what I'm looking for out of the motor.

In general on 13.5's and higher(17.5 etc) higher timing rewards more power. However under heavier loads heat must be watched. A 1/12 scale is light especially with a 3s lipo! I'm sure you could run higher timing and simply get more over all power.

When you get into the modifieds like say an 6.5 and lower less timing is needed because of the extra power. I run dual mode with these because I like the "feel" better not just the power. If I need more power I grab a different motor(most of the time). I run my motor timing in dual mode around 40-60 depending on heat, feel, gearing,etc.

Now for TC, most of our mod TC drivers are still running dual mode but with lower timing say 40. 5 cell is different due to the lower voltages. That's when more timing will be needed to maximize power at that level. We don't have a ton of TC guys running 5 cell here in the states. I would recomend starrting around 80 or so and watch your motor temps!

For mod TC with low turn motors like a 4T or 3.5 etc running a second cap helps with heat as well as a fan blowing on the solder posts. There is a special case that is being developed that will have a heatsink of sorts. It's still in development at this point. But this will be an option/upgrade for the TC guys to get rid of heat. I've yet to get my 4wd offroad mod hotter then 6 leds strapped with a 5.5 on high traction. Some of our UK buddies have seen 7 at times but only on the carpet/grass tracks with a lot of switch backs.
RS Pro in Mod TC with low turn motors , the e.cap too small !
Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
RS Pro in Mod TC with low turn motors , the e.cap too small !
No, just add a 2nd cap if are having issues. It is still smaller than most other speedo's single cap.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mo
No, just add a 2nd cap if are having issues. It is still smaller than most other speedo's single cap.
Yes webefore was do it !
but why not give higher uf e.cap for customer ?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Yes webefore was do it !
Because higher capacity means slower response! Besides I am not sure the same capacitor exists in higher capacities.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yes webefore was do it !
I don't think the majority of the people that purchase a RS or RSpro can push the speedo to the point that it will need the larger cap.

If you do, the simple solution is to add the second cap. For the rest of the customers, the smaller cap works with no issues with a lot of space saving for not having to run a cap that's larger then what is needed for their application.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mo
What is the part# for the RS power cap?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

tt3520
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

TT3520
Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Who has the capacitors in stock? I could use a few myself.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Pretty sure Ampdraw had some

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.