Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Randy posted earlier that esc timing does ramp, but its a very aggressive increase.
Yes. You can notice it when accelerating from stand still.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I have read this in another thread, I realise I should have replied here.
Below is the answer I gave in the other thread:

That explanation doesn't clarify two points.

1. Are timing boost and Turbo applied as set timing values or ramped up progressively?

2. If timing does not (or should not) exceeed 30deg, how can Turbo apply more timing if your overall timing is already 30?

One other question here that seems to be indirectly clarified but not clearly stated is whether or not there is another parameter monitored by the speedo apart from RPM. From the explanation above it seems there isn't.
Timing boost is not a full "dump" but it's is VERY agressive in it's ramp rate.

Turbo does ramp up over the course of say a second or so.

If the say you had 15 motor timing, 15 of timing boost vs. 20 on the motor and 10 on timing boost the answer is that they're the same but different.

They're the same once the car is under speed, but are different from the start to first few feet of car travel. This alone will create the need for slightly different gearing between the two.

Most onroad guys prefer less motor timing and more timing boost hence the 0 motor timing 30 timing boost setups.

Where as the offroad guys such as myself prefer more motor timing over timing boost. I usually run anywhere from 15-20 on the motor and make up the difference with timing boost depending on traction condtions.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

If the say you had 15 motor timing, 15 of timing boost vs. 20 on the motor and 10 on timing boost the answer is that they're the same but different.

They're the same once the car is under speed, but are different from the start to first few feet of car travel. This alone will create the need for slightly different gearing between the two.

Most onroad guys prefer less motor timing and more timing boost hence the 0 motor timing 30 timing boost setups.

Where as the offroad guys such as myself prefer more motor timing over timing boost. I usually run anywhere from 15-20 on the motor and make up the difference with timing boost depending on traction condtions.
Thank you very much Randy for your patience to repeat something that you probably already explained several times. I do appreciate your time.

This is very helpful for old dogs like me.

I guess then this means the total timing on the motor (fixed, boost and turbo) can go over 30?

I do indeed find that 0 motor timing plus high boost and turbo adjusted to track/gearing worked best for me (racing on road carpet 21.5).

The Tekin system is indeed very good, and it is obvious at the track. Using the motor/ESC combo in the 21.5 class we are approaching 17.5 (stock) lapcounts and lap times. The 21.5 class record laptime is under assault already. I have managed to come within .2 of a second on several occasions and lately I am within range constantly over several laps in a row in the same race, so it can fall at any time now. If my skill was up to it, I am sure it would be gone already. For the moment though, my gear is way better than I am.

Just hope the system is going to be as long life as my brushed systems which is no small ask, but crucial to justify the expense.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Randy,
Is it possible to have the boost/turbo reduce and then ramp back up with a increase, then decrease in the load? I am using a couple of RS pro's in oval and it is full throttle for 5 min. turbo is of no use since its time based. Would like it to be load based. ie if the amps go up after turbo is engaged, then reset the time. That way when the motor does slow in the corners the timing/boost would reduce slightly then pick back up as the rpms pick up for the straight.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Slot, I understand what you're getting at. I can't and won't comment on what and how we're making the next bit of changes, sorry. We've already educated the public and the competition enough at this point. I'm sure you'll understand.

Andrew Knaaps Tq and Winning Halloween Classic 1/12 17.5 setup:
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-andrew-knapp-halloween-classic-setup17.51-12thsetup.jpg  
Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Is that the boost or the turbo?

I must have missed the post.
Because both parameters have the term "boost" after them I prefer to use turbo and timing to clarify. He shared that turbo obviously has a gradual ramping increase after the delay has been reached, and timing has a ramp as well, only it is a very aggressive increase. Clear as mud?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you have one for 10.5?

Thanks,
Carter
Old 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I will be wiring my 12th and I was wondering how close can the sensor wire be to the motor wires?

Thanks for you time
God Bless
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Does the amount of turbo affect the top speed or just how fast it gets to top speed? Also is there a limit to the amount of timing and turbo? I know motor and speedo timing should be kept around 30, but is there a relationship between timing and turbo as well? Thanks.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Slot, I understand what you're getting at. I can't and won't comment on what and how we're making the next bit of changes, sorry. We've already educated the public and the competition enough at this point. I'm sure you'll understand.
Wasnt expecting a this is how we are going to do it. Am just hoping you are doing something for the oval guys as I hear rumors of new controllers that are using variable timing and are faster than the Tekins. Just looking forward to the next update for my RS Pro's. The ability to update to new software as it becomes available was my number one choice in picking tekin controllers for my cars (4). thanks for the great products.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

How would you change Andrews setup for a Redline 13.5 on a track that is about 48' x 90'?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

regarding the motor timing on this setup up, it says -15, meaning timing on the negative 15?

have not had a chance play with a motor with negative timing!

are we expecting the most torque, and least rpm with the negative timing? and possibly more torque than a motor with 0 timing?

hence the reason for a relatively high timing/turbo boost combination?

does that mean the overall timing is -15, +20, +20 = 25?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

regarding the motor timing on this setup up, it says -15, meaning timing on the negative 15?

Hacker,
It is not negative 15.
~15 (tilde 15).
Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hacker

have not had a chance play with a motor with negative timing!

are we expecting the most torque, and least rpm with the negative timing? and possibly more torque than a motor with 0 timing?

hence the reason for a relatively high timing/turbo boost combination?

does that mean the overall timing is -15, +20, +20 = 25?
If you set motor timing at negative, it will feel very wierd on the first few feet of travel because the esc doesn't add any timing during launch.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Does the amount of turbo affect the top speed or just how fast it gets to top speed? Also is there a limit to the amount of timing and turbo? I know motor and speedo timing should be kept around 30, but is there a relationship between timing and turbo as well? Thanks.
I would like to know about this also!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.