Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
The main things peopele usuallly want to know to give advice on set-up is length of the main straight, whether it's technical or open, carpet or asphalt, stuff like that.
A lot of the hekp offered is by peoples personal experiences on similar tracks, so the more info you cangive about your track, the easier it is to give something benificial.
In-door track. Tight turns, smooth asphault (high grip), main straight is probably 50 ft long
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-_jn11381.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrevCoult
There IS the ability to set start and end rpm for dual mode. It is similar to boost for sensored mode but works with the timing advance setting instead.

There are ways of measuring and changing timing when running sensorless, though I don't know exactly how it does it.

Trev
6.3. Dual mode and sensored-only mode
The RS’s firmware contains a brushless mode: dual or sensored-only.

In dual mode (the default), the RS uses the sensors only at very low speeds; then it changes to a fixed amount of timing advance (Section 6.3.1), determined without using the sensors. (The RS uses the voltage of the undriven phase wire, plus a bunch of software, to figure the timing without sensors.) If not all of the sensors are working (e.g. cable damaged) or the motor is sensorless, the RS does not use sensors at all in dual mode. Without sensors, you may notice the car go slightly in reverse before going forward when starting from a dead stop; this is not what you want at the start of a race! Dual mode avoids this bad behavior if sensors are available

6.3.1. Timing Advance (dual mode): range 0 - 100
The firmware has a built-in notion of the maximum possible timing advance when running in dual mode; it is somewhere around 25-30 degrees. The Timing Advance setting is a percentage of this maximum. So to use half the maximum you’d set TA to 50, and to use maximum timing advance you’d set TA to 100.

TA has no effect on the motor’s timing while running at very low RPMs using the sensors. The timing advance set in the motor (endbell) is used during the sensored phase of dual mode. The sensored phase is very short: only a few inches of car movement.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Don't blow me up for not "tedious testing" but I would like to know if someone has a set up sheet for the Tekin RS (non pro) running the 17.5 tekin motor. I am running a new TCX on an indoor asphault track (West Coast Raceway). Just looking to get things close an din the "ball park" with car/motor/esc set before I go out and have a blast doing all the fine tuning.

Thanks all.
Just ask Ron Schurr at West Coast, he is a guru on all things RC.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M-Technic
In dual mode (the default), the RS uses the sensors only at very low speeds; then it changes to a fixed amount of timing advance (Section 6.3.1), determined without using the sensors.
That was written pre 212, when there was no start and end rpm for the timing advance in dual mode.

As far as I know, the sensors are not used at a high enough rpm to be used to control the amount of timing advance. I think it does it some other way, but Randy or Jim would know better.

Trev
Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

In 212 the start and end rpm selection is in effect at all times. If you are in sensored only mode then the boost slider is used to determine the end timing. If you are running without a sensor harness then the timing advance slider determines the the end timing starting at 0 degrees for the start rpm. In dual mode you start using the sensors timing at extremely low rpms, then assume the same process as if you were running strictly sensorless. The notes you quoted are for previous versions of hotwire and have no bearing anymore. However, if you want your motor to feel the same as it did on 203 in dual mode, just set your end rpm to 1000 so that as soon as you get off the sensored start the full amount of timing selected in the timing advance slider is applied.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
In 212 the start and end rpm selection is in effect at all times. If you are in sensored only mode then the boost slider is used to determine the end timing. If you are running without a sensor harness then the timing advance slider determines the the end timing starting at 0 degrees for the start rpm. In dual mode you start using the sensors timing at extremely low rpms, then assume the same process as if you were running strictly sensorless. The notes you quoted are for previous versions of hotwire and have no bearing anymore. However, if you want your motor to feel the same as it did on 203 in dual mode, just set your end rpm to 1000 so that as soon as you get off the sensored start the full amount of timing selected in the timing advance slider is applied.
Ok.

Then let me ask this: In 212, what is the point of running dual mode if it is still using an RPM range and still reading your sensors even when it's supposedly in sensorless operation?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by M-Technic
Ok.

Then let me ask this: In 212, what is the point of running dual mode if it is still using an RPM range and still reading your sensors even when it's supposedly in sensorless operation?
It's not reading the sensors in dual mode after it gets rolling. The timing is calculated using back emf. The timing is based on absolute, not added to the sensors.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skitee
the 5.5 limit for the RS is in a 2WD off-road chassis.
So what is the limit of the RS Pro in a TC?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
none

Last edited by 20 SMOKE; 11-11-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: miss read,fixed info
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Running 17.5 w/BOOST-

*MOTOR ENDBELL TIMING= 30
*BOOST= 50
*TURBO= 10
*TURBO DELAY= 0.1
*TURBO RAMP= 3
*START RPM= 1532
*END RPM= 8492
*ROLLOUT= 87mm/ 3.425"

My car was fast yesterday amongst a field of 13.5's w/o BOOST. Just doing some testing here. I qualified 7th outta 16 guys. I finished 5th. About the 2minute mark though, I felt a noticeable fade. Car was still able to stay in front of a few guys charging hard but felt they were definitely faster than I was. I just kept clean and my car was really good. My question is, is this a ROLLOUT/GEARING issue or should I change something with my settings?

Btw, the way I have the brakes set up on this speedo w/my radio is awesome! I love how I can 'late apex'. Sweet!
12th or wgt,how long of a straight
how much voltage is used and mah
Old 11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
No limit on the pro, you should be able to run whatever 540 size motor you want to run.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When is Tekin going to come out with a VTA certified speedo? My T3'11 has no room on the chassis and I need something small like the Tekin. Man it's frustrating, I bought a RS before the rule came down and now I can't use it. Makes me want to sell my RC gear and find a different hobby. My local track won't accept them even with the 212 software.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys. So far today the car is running well. The 212 update is smooth!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
12th or wgt,how long of a straight
how much voltage is used and mah
*12th-scale
*80' straight into a sweeper
*when I went to charge, voltage was at 3.64 and I put in 2,881mAh
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCknight
When is Tekin going to come out with a VTA certified speedo? My T3'11 has no room on the chassis and I need something small like the Tekin. Man it's frustrating, I bought a RS before the rule came down and now I can't use it. Makes me want to sell my RC gear and find a different hobby. My local track won't accept them even with the 212 software.
If your local track won't accept the Tekin with the 212 software in spec mode one, then somebody needs to talk to the track owner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.