Tekin RS ESC sensored

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

It loses quite a bit of top end and when the turbo kicks in it doesn't feel as strong. About the first 5 laps or so the car is crazy fast even in 17.5...after that it settles down. That's why I describe it as fade...the turbo is still there...its just faded a bit. Others at our track have experienced the same thing. We've tried a variety of setups in the ESC and they have all done it. I can't recall what settings I am currently using.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
It loses quite a bit of top end and when the turbo kicks in it doesn't feel as strong. About the first 5 laps or so the car is crazy fast even in 17.5...after that it settles down. That's why I describe it as fade...the turbo is still there...its just faded a bit. Others at our track have experienced the same thing. We've tried a variety of setups in the ESC and they have all done it. I can't recall what settings I am currently using.
Mine does the exact same thing. I haven't worried about it too much but Im gonna try different settings with the timing and see if it changes anything.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Have you tried this with different motors? I had a weak rotor that did something similar.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

3 different 17.5 motors and a 13.5 motor. At least one other racer was having the same issue. I don't believe he ever got it solved either b4 retiring.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

it could be the battery voltage! 2 years agoo we when we were running ni-mhs we used to pump them with 10-15 A for the race. this got the voltage up high and the start was always a screemer!
so back in the day i also made a heavy peltier cooling unit in the pits to freeze my motor before a big race, started the race with a -5 degree C motor. now thats a power start! but ofcoarse as the motor heats up and the battery is over its top the power faded to an acceptable level. this year with the lipo and timing controllers i also notice that the speed at the start of the race is ofcoarse more than in the middle of the race. now it may be possible that a high turbo timing could cause this effect to increase, i run my turbo at 10, but thats because then if i release the trigger it doesnt feel like driving to a brick wall...
Mark
Old 06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

No...if I turn the car off for a bit then back on it has more power again even without recharging the batteries. Besides my understanding that LiPo was supposed to hold it's voltage longer and not suffer the same affect that NiMh/NiCad did.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

i was thinking of changing the rotor in my redline 2.5 to possibly a 14mm HT rotor to calm it down and lower the current consumption. am I correct in thinking the rotor will do this? im just trying to find a way to make this motor slightly less useless. any guesses to the change in performance? will it act more like a 4.5 or 6.5 turn motor?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
Mine does the exact same thing. I haven't worried about it too much but Im gonna try different settings with the timing and see if it changes anything.
id say your over geared. also - if your running a 3x ramp -- please switch over to a 2x ramp. as others have suggested -- check your batts too...
Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markiempje
it could be the battery voltage!
I've data logged the amp draw vs. voltage in 17.5 and 13.5, and while it's startling to see a 17.5 pull 40 amps, the voltage doesn't dip more than 0.5v below the average voltage at any time during the 6 minute races we have here. As an example, a 17.5 will tap 20-30 amps in the infield, but when it hits the straightaway and gets to run through the entire RPM window and the turbo is ON, the amp draw quickly climbs to about 40amps and stays there until the trigger is released entering the next turn. During these straightaways, the voltage only dips about 0.5v, without ever coming close to the voltage cutoff.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

does anyone know a good setting for 13.5 speed passion 3.0 motor?? and witch of the settings is for torque? Thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the issue of "FADE": where I live the local police dept. has set out a radar trailer that tells how fast you are going in a digital read out....well It will also pick up the my 10th scale t2R. I have an rs in it and I am having the same problem as the other guys. After about a minute or so the speed drops off by atleast 4mph. this is with 13.5 geared at fdr of 8.2. I ahve adjusted the settings on the speedo and even had the local guru fast guy look at the set up and he can't figure what is going on.
Does anyone have any ideas. by the way the 13.5 is brand new out of the box.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The loss of power issue is curious. Don't we typically lose power for one of two reasons? Current drop or heat? I suppose there could be other reasons. My first RS would do some weird stuff like resetting to default if I turned it on before my transmitter was fully booted up.

So I ran it this weekend for the first time with the new program. My settings are probably conservative but I was happy with the performance. Straightaway speed was par with others(RS), would like more infield punch though. Power output was consistant all day. No fading, unlike the past. Temp at 5 min was 120*.

Orion 17.5 TC 5000 40c
v203
drag br 20
brake 100
neutral 56
voltage cut 2
throttle prof 3
timing adv 40
timing boost 40
turbo 15
delay .3
ramp 3
start rpm 4600
end 12000
fdr 6.6

Rob..........
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hanulec
id say your over geared. also - if your running a 3x ramp -- please switch over to a 2x ramp. as others have suggested -- check your batts too...
Hanulec- Im geared at a 7.19 with the motor. Im already running a 2 ramp.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benben10
i was thinking of changing the rotor in my redline 2.5 to possibly a 14mm HT rotor to calm it down and lower the current consumption. am I correct in thinking the rotor will do this? im just trying to find a way to make this motor slightly less useless. any guesses to the change in performance? will it act more like a 4.5 or 6.5 turn motor?

It's a 2.5 You can try turning the timing down or putting a larger rotor in to kill top end speend but you have to remember.....it's a 2.5
Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hanulec
Using the 2x ramp and the same gearing as the other RS users at the track...they don't have the same issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.