Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #1366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Thanks Solara,

Good info'.
I wasn't going to bother with electric at all cause there isn't a track in 3 hrs drive of here :-(

But since there's going to be a track just 2 -3 miles opening up this weekend........... and a good one at that. I've thought again.

Be nice to put Team Magic and the E4 , not to mention RCManufactory on the map over here eh Solara?

Talk soon and thanks again

British Menace
Madison is only 2 hours and 44 minutes away (according to mapquest)
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #1367
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Will a lipo pack with wire connectors from the center able to fit into E4? Would the connectors interfere with the upper deck? Eg Maxamps, SMC etc

I only remember seeing E4 fitted with lipos with internal connectors such as Orions
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #1368
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Madison is only 2 hours and 44 minutes away (according to mapquest)
Yes. Thats about the closest. From the house it's 3 hrs. But thanks for the heads-up.

Anything over 30 mins away and might aswell not bother as it costs. I just needed a local track to practice/ race and keep my eye in for Nitro.

I don't want to be spending lots of money on getting to tracks like I have to when we race Nitro during the summer.

I'll be running probably brushed 19 turn motor and 3200 batteries. Just cause thats what I've got.

Still need to get a car first though ....... lol

British Menace
Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #1369
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriftu View Post
Will a lipo pack with wire connectors from the center able to fit into E4? Would the connectors interfere with the upper deck? Eg Maxamps, SMC etc

I only remember seeing E4 fitted with lipos with internal connectors such as Orions
the CORE RC 5000 is also a perfect fit
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #1370
Tech Champion

OK, I'm tired of ordering parts blindly and forgetting that I do have basic math skills. What I don't have available are pinion and spur radii.

I'd like to get my gearing right the first time, but that's not happening. Too late! I found the 78 and 81 tooth spurs I ordered along with the matching pinions fit my ratios, but I didn't take into account the diameter change. Now I have all the ratios I need for my Novak 17.5 brushless and a nice gap of about 3/16" between my pinion and spur. Almost funny. Before I order again, I need to find the radii of the 64 pitch spurs and gears. I will need to go much larger with my pinions.

What I need are a Spur and pinion that match my starting ratio Spur to pinion ratio of 1.65:1. The measurement with the motor centered in the mount is roughly 1 1/8" center of the Spur mount to the center of the motor shaft. If I find both of those, I get Novak's suggested 3.4 FDR for my pair of JSs.

I'll even make it easy, sort of. These are the spur and pinion pairings that get me very near 3.4 FDR. Which one is closest to my number of 1 1/8 inches center to center?

102/62
101/61
99/60
98/59
96/58
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #1371
Tech Champion

Quote:
Which one is closest to my number of 1 1/8 inches center to center?
I may have answered my own question. Someone tell if what I found is right or wrong please?

Diameter = D, P = Pitch, N = Number of teeth.

D = N/P

Radius = D/2

I calculated the radius of the Spur, the radius of the pinion and added them together. I have about .125 inches of play either way by sliding the motor in its mount, so my final number just needs to end up between 1 and 1.25 inches.

My starting point should be a 90 tooth spur and 53 tooth pinion.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #1372
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK, I'm tired of ordering parts blindly and forgetting that I do have basic math skills. What I don't have available are pinion and spur radii.

I'd like to get my gearing right the first time, but that's not happening. Too late! I found the 78 and 81 tooth spurs I ordered along with the matching pinions fit my ratios, but I didn't take into account the diameter change. Now I have all the ratios I need for my Novak 17.5 brushless and a nice gap of about 3/16" between my pinion and spur. Almost funny. Before I order again, I need to find the radii of the 64 pitch spurs and gears. I will need to go much larger with my pinions.

What I need are a Spur and pinion that match my starting ratio Spur to pinion ratio of 1.65:1. The measurement with the motor centered in the mount is roughly 1 1/8" center of the Spur mount to the center of the motor shaft. If I find both of those, I get Novak's suggested 3.4 FDR for my pair of JSs.

I'll even make it easy, sort of. These are the spur and pinion pairings that get me very near 3.4 FDR. Which one is closest to my number of 1 1/8 inches center to center?

102/62
101/61
99/60
98/59
96/58

well for 48 pitch i need to keep the teeth total count(pinion and spur) to 105 teeth to have a perfect mesh. for 64pitch im guessing around 137 to 140 total teeth count. 88/50 will get you very close to it around a 3.6 , 88/52 should get you in the 3.48 range

Last edited by Marcos.J; 10-11-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #1373
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
well for 48 pitch i need to keep the teeth total count(pinion and spur) to 105 teeth to have a perfect mesh. fpr 64pitch im guessing around 137 to 140 total teeth count. 88/50 will get you very close to it around a 3.6 , 88/52 should get you in the 3.48 range
Excellent. I like your shortcut method for total tooth count and the spacing. I should get a real nice mesh with the pinion choices for the 88 or 93 Robinson spurs. I'll have to source out the pinions. The place I would like to order from locally is out of 51 to 60 (not that I need them all, they are just out) tooth right now and the LHS doesn't carry PRS.

So close to having these JSs ready! Its painful being on the bleeding edge and not having parts NOW!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #1374
Tech Apprentice

We LOVE having Marcos on board. Not only a great driver but also a truly great mind. We have been getting a lot of emails about workable gear ratios and have been doing a lot of testing. We came up with the total tooth count phenomenon back in July but couldn't post it because I hadn't checked out every combo. We can't post unless we have tested every possible combo. (We do our best but with all the traveling we have been doing it is hard to do project like this). For 64 pitch we have found that the "magic number" of teeth is in the 145 to 155 range. I was skeptical at first because it seemed to be too good to be true but it has worked out for us every time. We have also given this to a few others to try but haven't gotten word from them.

Please let us know if you encounter a problem with this so we can inform people that we (I) were wrong.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #1375
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Hobbies View Post
We LOVE having Marcos on board. Not only a great driver but also a truly great mind. We have been getting a lot of emails about workable gear ratios and have been doing a lot of testing. We came up with the total tooth count phenomenon back in July but couldn't post it because I hadn't checked out every combo. We can't post unless we have tested every possible combo. (We do our best but with all the traveling we have been doing it is hard to do project like this). For 64 pitch we have found that the "magic number" of teeth is in the 145 to 155 range. I was skeptical at first because it seemed to be too good to be true but it has worked out for us every time. We have also given this to a few others to try but haven't gotten word from them.

Please let us know if you encounter a problem with this so we can inform people that we (I) were wrong.

It's nice to know that someone LOVES Marco's
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #1376
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #1377
Tech Elite

You've done a great job Marcos. Both with the car and posting on here.

It's good to have people like you around the forum. It makes informative aswell as enjoyable.

On behalve of alot of people, thanks for all the work you've put in Marcos. It is much appreciated!!

British Menace
Old 10-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #1378
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
You've done a great job Marcos. Both with the car and posting on here.

It's good to have people like you around the forum. It makes informative aswell as enjoyable.

On behalve of alot of people, thanks for all the work you've put in Marcos. It is much appreciated!!

British Menace
my pleasure
Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #1379
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I like him as well.