R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #1366
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Thanks Solara,

Good info'.
I wasn't going to bother with electric at all cause there isn't a track in 3 hrs drive of here :-(

But since there's going to be a track just 2 -3 miles opening up this weekend........... and a good one at that. I've thought again.

Be nice to put Team Magic and the E4 , not to mention RCManufactory on the map over here eh Solara?

Talk soon and thanks again

British Menace
Madison is only 2 hours and 44 minutes away (according to mapquest)
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #1367
Tech Fanatic
 
doriftu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 838
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Will a lipo pack with wire connectors from the center able to fit into E4? Would the connectors interfere with the upper deck? Eg Maxamps, SMC etc

I only remember seeing E4 fitted with lipos with internal connectors such as Orions
__________________
six-shifter.blogspot.com
supercharged-e36.blogspot.com
doriftu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #1368
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Madison is only 2 hours and 44 minutes away (according to mapquest)
Yes. Thats about the closest. From the house it's 3 hrs. But thanks for the heads-up.

Anything over 30 mins away and might aswell not bother as it costs. I just needed a local track to practice/ race and keep my eye in for Nitro.

I don't want to be spending lots of money on getting to tracks like I have to when we race Nitro during the summer.

I'll be running probably brushed 19 turn motor and 3200 batteries. Just cause thats what I've got.

Still need to get a car first though ....... lol

British Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #1369
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriftu View Post
Will a lipo pack with wire connectors from the center able to fit into E4? Would the connectors interfere with the upper deck? Eg Maxamps, SMC etc

I only remember seeing E4 fitted with lipos with internal connectors such as Orions
the CORE RC 5000 is also a perfect fit
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #1370
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

OK, I'm tired of ordering parts blindly and forgetting that I do have basic math skills. What I don't have available are pinion and spur radii.

I'd like to get my gearing right the first time, but that's not happening. Too late! I found the 78 and 81 tooth spurs I ordered along with the matching pinions fit my ratios, but I didn't take into account the diameter change. Now I have all the ratios I need for my Novak 17.5 brushless and a nice gap of about 3/16" between my pinion and spur. Almost funny. Before I order again, I need to find the radii of the 64 pitch spurs and gears. I will need to go much larger with my pinions.

What I need are a Spur and pinion that match my starting ratio Spur to pinion ratio of 1.65:1. The measurement with the motor centered in the mount is roughly 1 1/8" center of the Spur mount to the center of the motor shaft. If I find both of those, I get Novak's suggested 3.4 FDR for my pair of JSs.

I'll even make it easy, sort of. These are the spur and pinion pairings that get me very near 3.4 FDR. Which one is closest to my number of 1 1/8 inches center to center?

102/62
101/61
99/60
98/59
96/58
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #1371
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Which one is closest to my number of 1 1/8 inches center to center?
I may have answered my own question. Someone tell if what I found is right or wrong please?

Diameter = D, P = Pitch, N = Number of teeth.

D = N/P

Radius = D/2

I calculated the radius of the Spur, the radius of the pinion and added them together. I have about .125 inches of play either way by sliding the motor in its mount, so my final number just needs to end up between 1 and 1.25 inches.

My starting point should be a 90 tooth spur and 53 tooth pinion.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #1372
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
OK, I'm tired of ordering parts blindly and forgetting that I do have basic math skills. What I don't have available are pinion and spur radii.

I'd like to get my gearing right the first time, but that's not happening. Too late! I found the 78 and 81 tooth spurs I ordered along with the matching pinions fit my ratios, but I didn't take into account the diameter change. Now I have all the ratios I need for my Novak 17.5 brushless and a nice gap of about 3/16" between my pinion and spur. Almost funny. Before I order again, I need to find the radii of the 64 pitch spurs and gears. I will need to go much larger with my pinions.

What I need are a Spur and pinion that match my starting ratio Spur to pinion ratio of 1.65:1. The measurement with the motor centered in the mount is roughly 1 1/8" center of the Spur mount to the center of the motor shaft. If I find both of those, I get Novak's suggested 3.4 FDR for my pair of JSs.

I'll even make it easy, sort of. These are the spur and pinion pairings that get me very near 3.4 FDR. Which one is closest to my number of 1 1/8 inches center to center?

102/62
101/61
99/60
98/59
96/58

well for 48 pitch i need to keep the teeth total count(pinion and spur) to 105 teeth to have a perfect mesh. for 64pitch im guessing around 137 to 140 total teeth count. 88/50 will get you very close to it around a 3.6 , 88/52 should get you in the 3.48 range

Last edited by Marcos.J; 10-11-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #1373
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
well for 48 pitch i need to keep the teeth total count(pinion and spur) to 105 teeth to have a perfect mesh. fpr 64pitch im guessing around 137 to 140 total teeth count. 88/50 will get you very close to it around a 3.6 , 88/52 should get you in the 3.48 range
Excellent. I like your shortcut method for total tooth count and the spacing. I should get a real nice mesh with the pinion choices for the 88 or 93 Robinson spurs. I'll have to source out the pinions. The place I would like to order from locally is out of 51 to 60 (not that I need them all, they are just out) tooth right now and the LHS doesn't carry PRS.

So close to having these JSs ready! Its painful being on the bleeding edge and not having parts NOW!
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #1374
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 64
Default

We LOVE having Marcos on board. Not only a great driver but also a truly great mind. We have been getting a lot of emails about workable gear ratios and have been doing a lot of testing. We came up with the total tooth count phenomenon back in July but couldn't post it because I hadn't checked out every combo. We can't post unless we have tested every possible combo. (We do our best but with all the traveling we have been doing it is hard to do project like this). For 64 pitch we have found that the "magic number" of teeth is in the 145 to 155 range. I was skeptical at first because it seemed to be too good to be true but it has worked out for us every time. We have also given this to a few others to try but haven't gotten word from them.

Please let us know if you encounter a problem with this so we can inform people that we (I) were wrong.
__________________
Wolf Hobbies Your Source for Everything Team Magic Kfactory and H.A.R.D. in the USA www.wolfhobbies.com [email protected]
Wolf Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #1375
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Hobbies View Post
We LOVE having Marcos on board. Not only a great driver but also a truly great mind. We have been getting a lot of emails about workable gear ratios and have been doing a lot of testing. We came up with the total tooth count phenomenon back in July but couldn't post it because I hadn't checked out every combo. We can't post unless we have tested every possible combo. (We do our best but with all the traveling we have been doing it is hard to do project like this). For 64 pitch we have found that the "magic number" of teeth is in the 145 to 155 range. I was skeptical at first because it seemed to be too good to be true but it has worked out for us every time. We have also given this to a few others to try but haven't gotten word from them.

Please let us know if you encounter a problem with this so we can inform people that we (I) were wrong.

It's nice to know that someone LOVES Marco's
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #1376
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
It's nice to know that someone LOVES Marco's
thanks
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #1377
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,339
Default

You've done a great job Marcos. Both with the car and posting on here.

It's good to have people like you around the forum. It makes informative aswell as enjoyable.

On behalve of alot of people, thanks for all the work you've put in Marcos. It is much appreciated!!

British Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #1378
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
You've done a great job Marcos. Both with the car and posting on here.

It's good to have people like you around the forum. It makes informative aswell as enjoyable.

On behalve of alot of people, thanks for all the work you've put in Marcos. It is much appreciated!!

British Menace
my pleasure
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #1379
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,143
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
It's nice to know that someone LOVES Marco's
I like him as well.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005) Just awesome products
Bumps & Jumps RC (Great Indoor facility for offroad and oval)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC)
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #1380
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I like him as well.
like is a long way from love...
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
team magic m1b pitdog Nitro Off-Road 447 04-30-2013 09:17 AM
FS: Team Magic G4 - LRP Z12R Team Spec 2 - Add RX/TX LogiK Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-03-2007 02:00 AM
Brian Berry Joins Team Phenix/Team Magic Motorman Nitro On-Road 27 03-07-2006 05:51 AM
Team Magic G4 J_Longbrake R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-07-2004 07:56 PM
Team Magic G4 "Black Magic" tennessee Nitro On-Road 32 04-20-2003 11:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:27 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net