Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Getting a little tired of the massive bodyshell choices that you can get for your M03/5 MWB.

Let's see there's the Swift, the Swift and the Swift - Oh and not forgetting the Swift.
Or..maybe the new Tamiya Fiat 500. Or possibly the Speedway Pal Old School Civic Type R

How about this then..

From Ride, a current model Subaru WRX STi. OK, not my favourite car of all time I have to say, but at least it's something different...

I haven't found anyone who has them yet, but according to Ride they are on sale.
I spoke with Ride today. Another lot of these bodies should be available at the end of January
Old 12-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default M05 Pro

So,,almost have my new mini together,and have noticed that the shocks do not fit very tight using the supplied screws,also the axles have alot of in/out play,,,is this normal??
Old 12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Craig J,

The excess play on the rear axles can be taken out by using some 0.2 shims. These are available in a shim set from Tamiya or others.

I do not use the screws for mounting shocks. I use Tamiya TRF shocks and these come with supplied ball studs and spacers. The screws will work also as they will let the shock end move.

If you are using the supplied clear shocks beware they are brittle and will not survive a major impact. Tamiya Super mini CVA's or 3Racing shocks are also acceptable. If you use the 3Racing shocks ensure they are full of oil. It would be a good idea to drain the oil and redo with 30/40 or 50 weight oil. Depending on your racing surface.

Have you visited this site? http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index.php

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 12-26-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: extra text
Old 12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Craig J,

This slop is normal for a Tamiya kit. Some people shim them up, others don't bother and are just as fast.
Tamiya sell their own packs of various shims.......

Cannon, you'd better send a couple of those Subie ram-raiders Windsor way when you get them in.
They are fully siik bro'.....

Fleety.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Craig J,

The alloy 1.5 degree rear hubs on the MO5 Pro kit have a lot more play,(side to side movement) than the standard kit 2 degree rear hubs. The shimming of these is better for the bearings, just remember not to place in too many shims otherwise the axle will be tight when you mount the wheel hub, wheel and tighten. The best is to add one or two shims reassemble and then mount wheel and then check for movement, keep going until acceptable.

The standard kit parts are normally not that loose. I should have included this in my explanation.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I picked up my Christmas present for my M05- the Tamiya ball diff !!
Looking forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks,when I return to the track.

I now only need some new rear body posts for the lwb Cooper shell....
Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default tamiya m03

do anyone know how to get the rear end of the mini to grip in the wet when using standard tamiya radial tyre pls

please email back on [email protected] if pos pls as sometimes can't find replys on forum
Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Does the M05 stock kit come with oil filled shocks? I haven't found a definitive answer on the Tamiya site but it is sort of implied that they don't. Can anyone clear this out?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think only the M05 Pro comes with the plastic oil filled shocks.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Timbulb
I think only the M05 Pro comes with the plastic oil filled shocks.
the mo5 pro and the mo3r are the only two that come with the plastic oil shocks , the kit cars come with the standard plastic shocks
Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioyasm
the mo5 pro and the mo3r are the only two that come with the plastic oil shocks , the kit cars come with the standard plastic shocks
but they are shite !!!!

buy a standard kit and the TRF dampers

add 5mm spacers inside the shocks and 500 oil in it and you got a sorted mini
Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mo5 help

Hi, i've just gotta Mo5 and need abit of help
the servo saver that comes with the kit is rubbish, so I would like to know if this one will fit it? http://www.ardentracing.com/shop/acc...rvo-saver.html
thanks, Joe
Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default M05 Abarth Asseto Corse question

Can anybody tell me if this kit comes with bearings, and whether the shell will fit a Xevo chassis? I'm undecided whether to use the M03M Swift or the M05 Abarth as a donor car.

The Swift is attractive as I've been told it comes with bearings and the Swift shell will fit the Xevo chassis according to rc-mini.net, plus I can use the leftovers as spares for my beater M03 SWB Cooper. Plus, it's $20 cheaper.

However, the Abarth has IMHO a nicer shell and comes with the newer ESC which I can use in my '03 or sell on, plus I can sell the leftovers pretty easy to guys at the club who run '05s, to recoup a lot of the extra cost over the Swift.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I can't decide for myself, so I need some help.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi,
I have a question, you leave at the M05 the "rollbar" away.
Is this for the weight or to give the chassis more flex.
Thanx Bart

Can anyone help me with this?

Thankx Bart
Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sp8y
Hi, i've just gotta Mo5 and need abit of help
the servo saver that comes with the kit is rubbish, so I would like to know if this one will fit it? http://www.ardentracing.com/shop/acc...rvo-saver.html
thanks, Joe
If its the same size as this one.... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS362&P=7 then yes it will fit.

Originally Posted by Mini35
Can anybody tell me if this kit comes with bearings, and whether the shell will fit a Xevo chassis? I'm undecided whether to use the M03M Swift or the M05 Abarth as a donor car.

The Swift is attractive as I've been told it comes with bearings and the Swift shell will fit the Xevo chassis according to rc-mini.net, plus I can use the leftovers as spares for my beater M03 SWB Cooper. Plus, it's $20 cheaper.

However, the Abarth has IMHO a nicer shell and comes with the newer ESC which I can use in my '03 or sell on, plus I can sell the leftovers pretty easy to guys at the club who run '05s, to recoup a lot of the extra cost over the Swift.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I can't decide for myself, so I need some help.
Only the m05 pro comes with bearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.