Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSeils
I can cut the rest of the track pretty tight. I don't usually have an issue in the infield.

I will try the change in droop first, then try Camber, then spring to see if I can settle it down to where I like it.

Just remember whatever changes you make. Try and do them one at a time, so if you make the cars handling worse, you can take a step back and move on from there!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Just remember whatever changes you make. Try and do them one at a time, so if you make the cars handling worse, you can take a step back and move on from there!
+1, always good advice. But when you have played around with a car enough to know whats what, I love the feeling of making wholesale changes right before a final..... and it works lol.

At a large race here, I quallied last in the A with a rwd m06. The Fwds were faster. A friend of mine couldn't be bothered running his fwd, so I grabbed his car (even tho it was the pink m05 chassis lol), stripped it down to the bare chassis (I didn't split the halves, I just took all suspension of it), then put all my M06 suspension/tires/elecs/body on it, but with my old M05 shocks (shock lengths are different for the 06 and 05). I built it the morning of the last qually and the finals. In the last qually, I moved up to the 2nd spot, made one more setup change and then won the final.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What were you driving last night, AJ? Didn't seem like I was giving up too much speed to you, save for when I was hitting the boards. I'm really loving my M03 right now, especially with the Sweep 55s.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
What were you driving last night, AJ? Didn't seem like I was giving up too much speed to you, save for when I was hitting the boards. I'm really loving my M03 right now, especially with the Sweep 55s.
M05 v2, just built the v2 as I had sold all my round packs. Its a lot closer than last race night (zero front grip), so ill be playing with tires. I need to check the setup too. I spent the night working on Kerrys cars.

Question for the V2 guys, are you using the droop screws? or still using the shock limiters? I haven't rebuild my shocks yet, so I haven't bothered installing the droop screws yet. Any need too? I guess being able to mess with the droop would be good. does it work as good as shock limiters?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

I use the droop screws only to make the lift point even left/right on my V2 and others. I use full droop. I like my tires on the ground to have that consistency through the turn.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I use the droop screws only to make the lift point even left/right on my V2 and others. I use full droop. I like my tires on the ground to have that consistency through the turn.
yeah on a full size track you would be on your roof in most corners lol
Old 11-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
+1, always good advice. But when you have played around with a car enough to know whats what, I love the feeling of making wholesale changes right before a final..... and it works lol.

At a large race here, I quallied last in the A with a rwd m06. The Fwds were faster. A friend of mine couldn't be bothered running his fwd, so I grabbed his car (even tho it was the pink m05 chassis lol), stripped it down to the bare chassis (I didn't split the halves, I just took all suspension of it), then put all my M06 suspension/tires/elecs/body on it, but with my old M05 shocks (shock lengths are different for the 06 and 05). I built it the morning of the last qually and the finals. In the last qually, I moved up to the 2nd spot, made one more setup change and then won the final.
Was that the race where i did the dumb move of trying the Top Gun maneuver on the start tone and it backfired on me and then i broke cause i got nailed by 5 cars before the first corner? What a rookie.

Ivan
Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Was that the race where i did the dumb move of trying the Top Gun maneuver on the start tone and it backfired on me and then i broke cause i got nailed by 5 cars before the first corner? What a rookie.

Ivan
Awesome
Old 11-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Ivan
Remember where I said I qualified 2nd, that's cause you had the pole position.... Do you know how hard it is, to be laughing your head off on the stand, while trying to keep the lead on the first lap???? And hearing you scream "DOH!!" when your car broke hahahaha Ahh the memories
Old 11-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

yeah on a full size track you would be on your roof in most corners lol
Wow you are a mean bastard, axle!

I only had a M03's and a Roadrunner 15yrs+ ago which I raced at a full sized track along side my TC's. M03's don't have droop screws as you know, and I was running a decent amount of damper stroke and droop as it was mostly outdoor racing. I don't recall my M03 being on the roof all the time nor finishing anywhere near last.. not that we cared as we drove our m-chassis for fun. Serious racing was with TC's.

M-chassis to this day to me is for fun. That doesn't mean my cars don't drive well. Why bother spending all this money on different m-chassis if they all drove on their roofs! One would be plenty.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Ivan
How is your latest M03 setup doing and are you now using drag braking? Any difference in overall lap time?
I always liked blasting down to the very end of the track then using my brakes before the hairpins.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Question for the V2 guys, are you using the droop screws?
Hell yes! Its nice just building the dampers full size and having the screws there to take care of droop. No more messy rebuilds when you get it wrong.

You may want to reinforce the surface where the droop screws meet the chassis. That plastic will wear and settings will change on you. I'm using shims made from razor blades and epoxy them in place. (even they can get dented in a little.)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

So have you guys thought about what to ask your significant other (or Santa ) for the holidays?

I'm not sure what to ask yet.. kind of ran out of ideas. Any tools or jigs you guys recommend me check out?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Wow you are a mean bastard, axle!

I only had a M03's and a Roadrunner 15yrs+ ago which I raced at a full sized track along side my TC's. M03's don't have droop screws as you know, and I was running a decent amount of damper stroke and droop as it was mostly outdoor racing. I don't recall my M03 being on the roof all the time nor finishing anywhere near last.. not that we cared as we drove our m-chassis for fun. Serious racing was with TC's.

M-chassis to this day to me is for fun. That doesn't mean my cars don't drive well. Why bother spending all this money on different m-chassis if they all drove on their roofs! One would be plenty.
Sakadachi, Granpa tried to explain things to you previously, I will also, hopefully you will understand this time. This is a public forum, where ideas are freely discussed. Your post is up for scrutiny and so is all of mine. This is also predominantly a racing forum, and the original poster, CSeils, is asking a racing question. Your idea "I run full droop" WILL NOT WORK for CSeils situation (carpet with S grips) therefore your post was incorrect, and it therefore required my follow up fact that CSeil's car will be on its roof for most of the race, should he follow your suggestion. My comment was neither rude, nor mean, but yes I am a bastard.

If CSeils was looking for setup changes on a small indoor track, and his aim was pure 'fun' driving and not competitive racing(I highly doubt he would bother asking setup advice if he was indeed driving for fun), then I wouldn't comment on something I know nothing about, and your comment would be very welcome. But this is not the case in this situation. I hope in the future, you can be more cautious about your advice, and whether it fits the situation for the person asking the questions. HTH
Old 11-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Sakadachi, Granpa tried to explain things to you previously, I will also, hopefully you will understand this time. This is a public forum, where ideas are freely discussed. Your post is up for scrutiny and so is all of mine. This is also predominantly a racing forum, and the original poster, CSeils, is asking a racing question. Your idea "I run full droop" WILL NOT WORK for CSeils situation (carpet with S grips) therefore your post was incorrect, and it therefore required my follow up fact that CSeil's car will be on its roof for most of the race, should he follow your suggestion. My comment was neither rude, nor mean, but yes I am a bastard.

If CSeils was looking for setup changes on a small indoor track, and his aim was pure 'fun' driving and not competitive racing(I highly doubt he would bother asking setup advice if he was indeed driving for fun), then I wouldn't comment on something I know nothing about, and your comment would be very welcome. But this is not the case in this situation. I hope in the future, you can be more cautious about your advice, and whether it fits the situation for the person asking the questions. HTH
No hard feelings axle! I was only kidding. And granpa has is own set off issues I could not understand, but he is also good to go.

But no, droop itself will not put a car onto its roof. If you were talking about making the suspension stiffer to force this weight over his outer grippy front tire, it would make him traction roll. We're talking droop on the inside wheel extending or not. Inner wheel will travel along with the turn unless it lifts off the ground and you get that wild sharp angle turn which may be causing his rear to step out. I hate that unnatural stiff diff side effect so this is another reason why I use full droop length on stiffer diff setting so that the inside wheel does not leave the ground mid-turn.

I do admit I didn't read his post very well and didn't understand his situation. But I do know about the characteristics of these cars considering my line up, I know how they differ too. I've spent countless hours just setting them up and I'm still not done with my M-Four.

So my comment about agreeing to add rear neg camber and toe-in still stands. And I too agree with KAV to do this one step at a time. Do the neg camber first, then add toe-in later if it doesn't suffice. Honestly though, adding rear toe-in might be a faster cure if he has the parts on hand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.