Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Hey--can folks dig into their "old stuff I never use but might come in handy" box to see if they have any "D" parts trees from the old M01 or M02 chassis? Specifically I'm looking for the front (straight) body mounts which come one each to a "D" tree. I picked up a nice built Honda S800 but for some unknown reason it was built front-wheel drive and the body sat differently, so the front mounts are too short . I can use some epoxy, sleeves, and bits cut from other mounts, but I'd really rather just get a couple new or used "proper" ones.

I'd also be interested in buying a complete M01 or M02 chassis and/or other parts. Trying to get a few of them going here.

Thanks,

Scottrik
ps--sorry to post a "wanted" here, but this crew is the "audience" most likely to have Tamiya bits...

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-05-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Anybody have a black chassis they would like to sell? Or a local shop that may have one...maybe SIR?
Core I have a new one here @ SIR.
PM me.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

I believe 1.3 amps at 2volts.
That was last year for black cans, then they realized it wouldn't work for black cans.
In the US for the regional events there is no restriction for amp draw.
At nationals you get a handout motor and I'm sure there willl be restrictions there, but I'm not sure we know what motor yet.

In the Canadian TCS it is 1.2 @ 2 volts on a Much More Motor Master, or on a Orion motor checker.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

So at TCS qualifiers the motors are not teched?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've only been to 2 TCS events, but no, the motors were not teched at either of them.

I guess they could always look a little closer if someone is just ridiculously faster than everyone else though... (I never seem to have *that* problem )
Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctoyguy
I've only been to 2 TCS events, but no, the motors were not teched at either of them.

I guess they could always look a little closer if someone is just ridiculously faster than everyone else though... (I never seem to have *that* problem )
I have...

about 1 -1.5 seconds per lap.... The race director even decided to have everyone put a motor in an impound every week -- then we draw numbers out of a hat to decide which motor we get to run.

So--- the last 3 weeks I've still been faster 1-1.5 secs... He even ("more or less") asked me to run the stock Tamiya ESC (I was running a Novak GT7) because my Tamiya ESC blew up... so I obliged and ran the Tamiya Stock ESC... and yep.... you guessed it.... STILL 1 - 1.5 SEC FASTER....??

And now he wants me to give him MY ESC to run in his car THIS week...

Kinda feels like he thinks I'm cheating... but I'm not... I just have a REALLY free drive line. If I spin the front wheels (without the motor in) they'll freewheel spin for about 15 seconds.

Thanks the secret I think!

Last edited by tbeardmore; 06-10-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

So at TCS qualifiers the motors are not teched?
No they are not. The main reason is that the host site would then need much more support to do so much more tech.
When the only thing really on the line is a $100 car kit.

But when you get to nationals they do much more with a trip to Japan on the line.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

With the mini it's 20% car and 80% driving. As long as the car is decent it's just a matter of learning how to carry a lot of speed. You've probably just figured out the correct way to drive it. I'll see you in a few months and maybe be able to give you a run.
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
I have...

about 1 -1.5 seconds per lap.... The race director even decided to have everyone put a motor in an impound every week -- then we draw numbers out of a hat to decide which motor we get to run.

So--- the last 3 weeks I've still been faster 1-1.5 secs... He even ("more or less") asked me to run the stock Tamiya ESC (I was running a Novak GT7) because my Tamiya ESC blew up... so I obliged and ran the Tamiya Stock ESC... and yep.... you guessed it.... STILL 1 - 1.5 SEC FASTER....??

And now he wants me to give him MY ESC to run in his car THIS week...

Kinda feels like he thinks I'm cheating... but I'm not... I just have a REALLY free drive line. If I spin the front wheels (without the motor in) they'll freewheel spin for about 25 seconds.

Thanks the secret I think!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

In Todd's case its defintely the car. I have seen him drive!!!
Just kidding Todd. Hoping to see you again at next year's Carpet Challenge.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

There seems to be a lot of different ideas on double stuffing tmiya tires. I've been using a cut hpi TC insert on the inside and a yokomo 039 on the outside for the fronts, but really don't like what I've been doing on the rears. Would like to hear from the experts and not so expert on their favorite techniques
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
No they are not. The main reason is that the host site would then need much more support to do so much more tech.
When the only thing really on the line is a $100 car kit.

But when you get to nationals they do much more with a trip to Japan on the line.
I don't necessarily agree here--don't you have to qualify through the regionals to get to the nats? If so, the regional events should be teched every bit as hard as the nats otherwise an impression could be created that one needs to "cheat" to get in the show.

Honestly, how tough could it be to tech-in the motors. On open practice day everyone gets to submit two motors for approval. Every motor that "passes" gets a special sticker applied. For all heats and mains all motors are inspected for that sticker. For the mains the A-heat cars are all re-dyno'd after the main. Heck, maybe even re-dyno the top three from each heat--could be done before the next heat is finished running, and the driver is supposed to be out cornering anyway.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I don't necessarily agree here--don't you have to qualify through the regionals to get to the nats? If so, the regional events should be teched every bit as hard as the nats otherwise an impression could be created that one needs to "cheat" to get in the show.

Honestly, how tough could it be to tech-in the motors. On open practice day everyone gets to submit two motors for approval. Every motor that "passes" gets a special sticker applied. For all heats and mains all motors are inspected for that sticker. For the mains the A-heat cars are all re-dyno'd after the main. Heck, maybe even re-dyno the top three from each heat--could be done before the next heat is finished running, and the driver is supposed to be out cornering anyway.
Alternatively...a claim rule. Anyone in any heat can claim the motor of anyone else in that heat after any heat...for, say, $30.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Alternatively...a claim rule. Anyone in any heat can claim the motor of anyone else in that heat after any heat...for, say, $30.
Much too complicated.
Have you ever attended a TCS regional event here in the US??
The spirit of TCS is having Fun.

the bigger problem with your comments require these races sites to have people on Saturday there for the event. untill this year the events have been one day events, most are parking lot races. NAd it also meens that the venue needs multiple people that know the in's and out's of all the Tamiya parts and Hop-ups. it makes it even harder for a host site to support a race. Seeing as the real prize comes from the national event. and all the regional event does is allow you participate in the national.

The second question I have, have you ever been commited to being a tech person at an event? It is hard to stay and tech. You want to watch, you want to race, you want to socialize. It is not a fun job anyway you look at it. There for it is a hard job to fill.

You will find the same level of tech at the Roar regional races. very very light on the rules, fairly open rules. When you get to a national then there a spec motors, spec tires, Radio impounds. So much more on the line to keep the playing feild fair.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
There seems to be a lot of different ideas on double stuffing tmiya tires. I've been using a cut hpi TC insert on the inside and a yokomo 039 on the outside for the fronts, but really don't like what I've been doing on the rears. Would like to hear from the experts and not so expert on their favorite techniques
I'll be the first "not so expert" to reply:

My understanding of the reason for "Double stuffing" is to get a bit more "gearing" (actually a bit more roll-out). Double stuffing gives you a slightly larger diameter tire, so the roll-out is slightly higher. I haven't done the math, and I doubt it makes this big of a difference, but it may be like running a 21 tooth pinion instead of a 20.

So... there would be no reason to double stuff the free-wheeling rear tires .

Does that make sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.