Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you again.

I'll be building the 54000 shocks tonight. Am I correct in reading that the overall shock length is achieved by spacing under the piston and adjustment of the lower ball joint link? And when you pick the car off the ground, how much should the wishbones drop down?

Sorry for all the basic questions!

And thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Actually a pretty interesting ????? If I'm not mistaken, sosidge does a lot of carpet racing, so the 6mm hexes make sense. I run mainly on outdoor asphalt so usually opt for the 5mm hexes. That way if you want a wider track, just use a 1mm spacer. It gives you a little more flexibility and another tuning option.

There are times, for example, that you might find 5mm hexes in front with 6mm hexes in back are the best option. Or vice versa. If you haven't tried it, you might be surprised or not. This is a fine tuning option and you might not notice much if anything unless your base set up is pretty close
Also depends on the body. I couldn't physically fit my tyres under the body using 6mm. Had to buy 5's to use the body I had just bought. ABC body from memory.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by demoman588
G-PA is definately a wealth of information . I never said he wasnt. All I said was he is a bit rough around the edges.lmao. I hope someday he will come to the roadrunner track in camarillo and race sometime . I think that they have the best mini class out there .
Let me point out a few facts. The first of which is that I've never met you or any of the others who've taken some pleasure in commenting on my personal faults. What has lead you to believe I'm "rough around the edges"???? Are you saying I lack manners????? You said I need sensitivity training, then turned around and said that I'm always an ass, always negative etc. Have I ever called you names or commented on your personal characteristics????? Frankly, you owe me an apology.

I have raced at the Road Runners track, but that was before it was resurfaced. The pump house turn is just a great turn, but not for an old guy with fading eyesight and cataracts. You have a great track, Joel and the guys are terrific, and you have a decent Mini program. For me though it's a nearly 2 hour drive home in bumper to bumper traffic after racing all day. That's for you young people.

If you want to race, come to the Tamiya track. It's open on Saturdays, so you won't hit the Sunday nite traffic. Plus, you can run all day for next to nothing and there is shade, many good places to eat, bathroom facilities (porta potty) close by, power for your charger and some of the best Mini guys around. You'll also be running on a track with quite a history.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default apology

Alright G-Pa .
Here is my apology. I am sorry for having said things that hurt . But having said that you of all people have admitted to being awfully harsh . I understand the 2hr drive. It is nearly unforgivable after a long day of racing.but sometimes you gotta do it to see what's around . I have raced with you and my comments are from those times . 1 of which was at west coast. It took until the main before I got a handle on my car and actually finished ahead of you. At that point you and 1 other gentleman said I was cheating with motor and actually I was running the taller treaded tire and just pulled you alittle on the straight . And as I remember you were running the small slicks with a lot less rollout. So again SORRY FOR MY COMMENTS . It wasnt personal at all its just a persons stupid opinion. And thank you for all the info .undoubtedly we all need it and cherish it . I personally print everything out .
See ya at the races
DEMOMAN
Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by demoman588
Alright G-Pa .
Here is my apology. I am sorry for having said things that hurt . But having said that you of all people have admitted to being awfully harsh . I understand the 2hr drive. It is nearly unforgivable after a long day of racing.but sometimes you gotta do it to see what's around . I have raced with you and my comments are from those times . 1 of which was at west coast. It took until the main before I got a handle on my car and actually finished ahead of you. At that point you and 1 other gentleman said I was cheating with motor and actually I was running the taller treaded tire and just pulled you alittle on the straight . And as I remember you were running the small slicks with a lot less rollout. So again SORRY FOR MY COMMENTS . It wasnt personal at all its just a persons stupid opinion. And thank you for all the info .undoubtedly we all need it and cherish it . I personally print everything out .
See ya at the races
DEMOMAN
I remember now. Here's what you don't know about that incident. Devin White, who was the race director spoke to me between the qualifiers and the main. He said that he knew you and your buddy were running Red Dot motors. He was going to call you on them, but I told him you guys had come from a long ways so let it go and we could speak to you about it after the main. When we tried to do that, as I recall, you reacted quite violently and told me that I'd told you that Red Dot motors were legal. Also that I was pissed by being beat by some "nobody". We were just trying to cut you a break and make sure you had a "good time". Also, we had the tech procedure set up that I could have protested your motor, but decided against it for all of the above reasons.

Here's something else you didn't know. D. White is a 2 time TCS Mini National Champ and probably one of the best, if not the best, at building Red Dot type motors in the USA. I'm probably one of the better ones also. We were both trying to be "nice" and you were the one being recalcitrant.

Also, I sent you the set up, what tires to run etc. for WCRC. And no you weren't running 60D tires in front, you were running Sweep 40 premounts. I know this cause a 60D front tire at WCRC is instant traction roll unless you know how to doctor the tires.

So let's see. I'm a whatever from that one race at WCRC. I sent you the set up, what tire to use and which traction compound, talked the race director out of DQ your motors, did not protest your Red dot motors in a Stock Silvercan race, congratulated you on a good drive, and now all of a sudden, I'm the ass whatever.

There's no need to apologize. I fully understand where you're coming from. I imagine some may not, but they've never met you.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow . I guess we agree to disagree. Yes you did give me the starting setup . Absolutely ! NOW , Both me and my partner were running the 60d tire . Not sure if the cataracts got in the way but thats how it was . Also I was running a red dot silver can . I didnt know there was another kind . I also was running docs motor because YOU told me where to buy good silver can motors. YOU didnt want to sell to me so I went his way . They were both TCS LEGAL versions from him . I also dont really care what Mr.White had to say . I wish you all would have tested our stuff then this wouldnt be an issue . Motors were within rpm limits for tamiya. I also never got upset at anything at that particular time cause racing is a calming time for me . So again I apologise for the ass comment. Now i hope if danny reads this he might get an idea why his onroad struggles so much to be consistent .
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Can't we all just get along and talk about minis?????
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by patorz31
Can't we all just get along and talk about minis?????
You're right. This is what I'd like to do also. However, you don't have some guy calling you a horses patootie in every one of his posts. You probably missed the post where I'd asked my critics to keep it out of the forum and send me a PM if they wanted to call me a bunch of names. So far the only PM I've received is someone asking for help. This I'll sit down after my investment meeting tonite to answer.

I'll do my part and not respond.

Last edited by Granpa; 07-11-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I am out of popcorn, so...

After talking with back9monsta at the track the other day, I started to gain some interest in TCS Mini racing for next season.

Understanding the handout motor rule for the Finals, what is the motor rule for regional races? Our own supplied motor with an RPM limit?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey! Has anyone seen parts number for any of the special bits on the M06R or M05 Gold Edition? (the disco twins) Just curious. How about overall shock length for the more outboard lower shock mounting positions? Looking to mess with my backup car.

Bob, you're a good guy. You know it. I know it.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hey! Has anyone seen parts number for any of the special bits on the M06R or M05 Gold Edition? (the disco twins) Just curious. How about overall shock length for the more outboard lower shock mounting positions? Looking to mess with my backup car.

Bob, you're a good guy. You know it. I know it.
Hi Monkey,
M06Pro and R have 2mm longer piston rod in rear. These you can order. The special parts for the R concerning the rear shock fixation and the clamp weights are not available as single parts.
From my first look at the M05 gold edition, it seems to be normal Mini shocks with the longer lower ball end from the old buggies. The one that is still on the plastic parts tree of the TRF shocks.

Br,
Matthias
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
You're right. This is what I'd like to do also. However, you don't have some guy calling you a horses patootie in every one of his posts. You probably missed the post where I'd asked my critics to keep it out of the forum and send me a PM if they wanted to call me a bunch of names. So far the only PM I've received is someone asking for help. This I'll sit down after my investment meeting tonite to answer.

I'll do my part and not respond.
My experience with Granpa has always been positive. A few years ago I went to Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo with a struggling M03. Granpa came up to me and give me pointers. He even let me drive his LWB M03 just to show me what a proper handling mini feels like. Granpa and all the mini drivers at Aliso made racing minis so much fun. There is nothing like racing minis.

Perhaps there is a missunderstanding since racing anything is competitive. Everyone races to win.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

I hope Grandpa you weren't thinking i was singling you out. I wasn't you are one of the few that seems to have taken the time to figure these damn little cars out and will share your knowledge. I for one couldn't care if your are gruff, rough around the edges or what ever. If you can help me make my mini faster I will listen. I can see why you can be gruff though Grandpa, it must suck answering the same questions over and over for at least a 1000 pages...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow. I log out for two days and look what happens!
Chaos!
Name Calling!
Cats and dogs lying together!

Bob (aka Granpa) is a good guy from way back, and a more talented driver and technician than he gives himself credit for. Genuinely nice person. Wish I could be out there for the Nats this year, Bob, but it's the same weekend as our 39th anniversary, and you know how that goes.

FWIW, we sell LOTS of TCS legal Red Dots. Just mentioning.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
Thank you again.

I'll be building the 54000 shocks tonight. Am I correct in reading that the overall shock length is achieved by spacing under the piston and adjustment of the lower ball joint link? And when you pick the car off the ground, how much should the wishbones drop down?

Sorry for all the basic questions!

And thanks!
Correct, the overall length is adjusted with the spacing on the inside, and to a lesser extent how much you unscrew the shock bottoms.

I always build my car with 0.5 - 1mm of shock shaft extension above ride height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.