Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
I disagree, ...Tamiya hosts a championship race, they already have many flavors of the M05 available, -it only makes sense to me to have one of those versions be a true TCS legit race-ready car.
Nobody in Canada uses the tcs rule set. In fact, our largest national series uses a 2200kv spec motor that was specifically made for our racing, and is sold separately. To have a japanese guy throw Reedy motors into the box before shipping, would simply increase the cost of the kit and give the end user a paperweight.

Again, not everyone uses TCS rules, and TCS is not as big as it once was. 3racing would go out of business if everyone did follow TCS - but they are far from failing right now.

Secondly, the current agreement is with Reedy. What would happen if Tamiya made the Novak 25.5 the spec motor next year? That would make all the current surplus kits "obsolete", and redundantly priced (because the Reedy motor is still inside, and is no longer legal).

Adding a Reedy motor into the kit is not a good idea.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

I managed to get a closer look at the M05 V2 R
http://www.thercracer.com/2016/01/ta...-releases.html
It is very nice, it has the same aluminum parts as the v2 pro but also has double cardan front drive shafts and hex screws.. I was also told it had a ball diff but it might have been a bit lost in translation.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I managed to get a closer look at the M05 V2 R
http://www.thercracer.com/2016/01/ta...-releases.html
It is very nice, it has the same aluminum parts as the v2 pro but also has double cardan front drive shafts and hex screws.. I was also told it had a ball diff but it might have been a bit lost in translation.
Did you notice any change to the plastic chassis itself?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow. Hard to believe Tamiya managed to bring out double cardan shafts without leaking info about them first. They have a tendency to show upcoming parts more so than complete models.

Very happy to see the original Eunos roadster body being re-released. It's curvier contours make it less suceptible to cracking than the newer version.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

monkeyracing- I've seen your Eunos picture... I don't think that looked very convincing...
Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

This looks like a race ready car, I like it. Yet Tamiya should truly make it TCS legal and provide that Reedy motor they are requiring. Hex screws all the way around are a very nice improvement.
Even better would be Tamiya sticking a Tamiya branded motor in the box. Come up with a spec motor, like they did with the silver cans, and stick with it. The Johnson /Mabuchi has remained relatively unchanged for 50+ years. No reason why this couldn't be the case with a new, non adjustable, spec motor.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Double cardans are a nice new welcome addition. Now if they only update the standard CVD with new ring axle, versus buy the old set and update with newer axle
Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Even better would be Tamiya sticking a Tamiya branded motor in the box. Come up with a spec motor, like they did with the silver cans, and stick with it. The Johnson /Mabuchi has remained relatively unchanged for 50+ years. No reason why this couldn't be the case with a new, non adjustable, spec motor.
YES! ...I just think since Tamiya does come out with their own racing rules (not many manufacturers do that) they ought to create a kit that is race ready and to their spec. Yes, a Tamiya branded brushless motor that comes w/ the kit would be ideal in my opinion.

IF, and IF this were the only kit they sold then I'd vote against that, but since they have so many M05 kits they sell that are all basically the same just w/ different bodies or option parts why not throw one more in that is TCS legit? Last I checked they sold like 20 different M05 kits (counting all the bodies). Include one w/ the spec' motor. Its not for everyone, but for those who need a TCS racer it would be all ready to go.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

I disagree, ...Tamiya hosts a championship race, they already have many flavors of the M05 available, -it only makes sense to me to have one of those versions be a true TCS legit race-ready car.
Tamiya hosts many TCS events worldwide, and the rules are rarely the same.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds like Tamiya needs to better coordinate the rules globally..

I agree with eR1c and monkeyracing to include a factory race-ready motor in all future "R" spec kits. Why even bother having TCS rules if all of you play by different rules? For those of you that want freedom get the V2 and what ever hopup you need a la carte.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Sounds like Tamiya needs to better coordinate the rules globally..

I agree with eR1c and monkeyracing to include a factory race-ready motor in all future "R" spec kits. Why even bother having TCS rules if all of you play by different rules? For those of you that want freedom get the V2 and what ever hopup you need a la carte.
I agree with the sentiment in terms of equalising the racing, however Tamiyas primary objective with the TCS series is to promote sales of their kits. Different regions have different demographics, so a one-size-fits-all rule would not necessarily be in the best interests of popularity and sales for all regions. For example, affluent regions would tend to prefer quality brushless motors, while others may prefer cheaper brushed motors (ignoring the initial cost vs TCO debate).

With that said, I would like to see an affordable and consistent spec motor standardised in the kits. I'm not sure a top end R spec kit that doesn't include a body should be the kit that sets that trend though. Perhaps some TCS-RTR variant instead?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

List is up on T USA

Featured Components

M-Chassis Double-Cardan Drive Shafts (universals)
M-05 Lightweight Aluminum Battery Holders (Black)
Aluminum Motor Mount (Black)
M-05 Aluminum Turnbuckle Steering Rod (Black)
M-05Ra Chassis Uprights
Hex Screws
M-05 Aluminum Steering Posts (Black)
M-05 Aluminum Servo Mount (Black)
Included Hop-Up-Option Parts

54179 M-05 Ball Bearing Set
54277 M-Chassis Reinforced Gear Set
54409 3x14mm Low Friction Step Screw (4pcs.)
54613 M-05 Ver.II Stainless Steel Sus Shaft Set
54237 M-05 Low Friction King Pin (4pcs.)
54319 M-Chassis Lightweight Hollow Shaft Set
54606 M-05 Ver.II 1-Piece Lower Suspension Arm Set
51000 Hi-Torque Servo Saver (Black)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Very nice kit...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Much more complete than any previous R kit. The axles are an interesting inclusion. Still sticking you on the steering upgrades, though.

What is the advantage of the RA uprights?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Is it possible to get the black aluminium steering rack separately, or does one need to buy the whole black aluminium upgrade kit? Seems a waste buying the whole upgrade kit if this R chassis includes half the items already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.