Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 02-10-2016, 10:17 AM
  #26821  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
hprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Nice Jim -

I threw out about that many sets of M chassis springs prior to the move. Who needs 8 pairs of the long red and long yellows anyways or 16 pairs of the chrome kit springs? The trash, that's who.

I managed to put up a temporary workspace at one end of my basement while I build out the bedroom, office and hobby room spaces at the other end:
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_1254.jpg  

Last edited by hprt; 02-10-2016 at 10:39 AM.
hprt is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 AM
  #26822  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hprt
Nice Jim -

I threw out about that many sets of M chassis springs prior to the move. Who needs 8 pairs of the long red and long yellows anyways or 16 pairs of the chrome kit springs? The trash, that's who.
My shiny ones were white, until I stripped the paint off em. I had spares. What can I say?

BTW, if I had your budget, there'd be a show on TLC about me.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:56 AM
  #26823  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
BoneCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,254
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by irvinew
I have a 3racing piece that makes the diff really into a solid axl. Some people use putty; you can use this.

I felt the car was ok but still kinda stuttered on the sweeping corners; and I felt that perhaps the 3racing gear diff with 1,000,000 oil would be a better option. Alot of people are using that; not sure about the thickness of the oil

Good idea? or is it not really worth it.
Hey Will,

If I remember correctly you had the little red mini in the Moose Jaw race. Great driving over all. When you're not under pressure from cars behind your driving lines aren't too bad. But it takes time and practice to keep your rhythm and also sometimes running multiple classes can also mess up your timing turning as different cars handle differently. But keep it up!

In terms of your 3racing diff question I would say between 300k-500k is good enough.

Lighter oil: good steering but lack punch out of corners

Thicker oil: less steering but lots of punch out of corners. Also more stress on your drivetrain.

The key to a competitive mini IMO is corner speed especially in our WCICS series of racing where everyone almost has the same speed due to the spec motor. If you watched the top 3 finishing cars (M05v2's I believe) had great drivers and cars that turned great. They probably had the oil I mentioned above and they probably used brakes very infrequently during the race as their car rotated just fine, carried enough corner speed and then hit the throttle and it just punches out of the corner!!! This is the best way to get your mini fast around the track. Next club race, watch Robbie's lines. You'll learn a lot just by seeing how he manages his corners.

If you watched my car, my lines and throttle control they were different for many reasons. Don't do that. Ignore my driving style. Lol.

Keep practicing!

Ivan
BoneCrusher is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
  #26824  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
hprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Hey Will,

If I remember correctly you had the little red mini in the Moose Jaw race. Great driving over all. When you're not under pressure from cars behind your driving lines aren't too bad. But it takes time and practice to keep your rhythm and also sometimes running multiple classes can also mess up your timing turning as different cars handle differently. But keep it up!

In terms of your 3racing diff question I would say between 300k-500k is good enough.

Lighter oil: good steering but lack punch out of corners

Thicker oil: less steering but lots of punch out of corners. Also more stress on your drivetrain.

The key to a competitive mini IMO is corner speed especially in our WCICS series of racing where everyone almost has the same speed due to the spec motor. If you watched the top 3 finishing cars (M05v2's I believe) had great drivers and cars that turned great. They probably had the oil I mentioned above and they probably used brakes very infrequently during the race as their car rotated just fine, carried enough corner speed and then hit the throttle and it just punches out of the corner!!! This is the best way to get your mini fast around the track. Next club race, watch Robbie's lines. You'll learn a lot just by seeing how he manages his corners.

If you watched my car, my lines and throttle control they were different for many reasons. Don't do that. Ignore my driving style. Lol.

Keep practicing!

Ivan
Listen to Ivan; Talk to Robbie - he was really fast last weekend at the WCICS race, and would be a good source for setups for the tracks in your area.

I struggled with the track layout last weekend - as a result I was using brakes and driving less optimal lines and it showed in my lap times. The key to mini is carrying corner speed - setting the car up to turn well without having to use the brakes to transfer weight, and driving the correct lines to maintain corner speed.
hprt is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 05:15 PM
  #26825  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,314
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Affordable and challenging at the same time! . Have fun at the races.
I won't be running to those rules, I'm in Australia now. I was just perusing through the rules for nostalgia reasons.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM
  #26826  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
Mickey Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 436
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Uneven tire wear is part of the mini thing. You can minimize, but they'll always wear about the same. Rears can last a few seasons, but fronts go quicker. Strapping the fronts as you build them helps a bit. (Radial ply of duct tape, 2cm x 19cm, inside the tire.) Solidifies and flattens tread surface.
Is this a common practice at carcar? I have chatted with a few guys about this. Ok for club racing but not legal for WCICS so we just run the tires without.

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I was at the track this weekend and one of the M05 guys was running the yeah racing long arm set.

It looked like a whitewash as he carved through the field. The chassis had other hop ups and the guy was a great driver, but I am interested to see if anyone else has used them.

Also looking at the price I wonder what the quality would be like.
I run the long travel suspension kit and the love the adjustability of it. I dont think it makes my car any faster though. lol Built my V2 last year and went all out. spent to much money on it. lol

Tim
Mickey Silver is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM
  #26827  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I won't be running to those rules, I'm in Australia now. I was just perusing through the rules for nostalgia reasons.
Oh I see. After looking at your picture I've been itching to use my 3 step mechanical speed controller. nostalgia reasons for me too. When I put together my M01 last year (I bought it NIB), I was surprised it did not come with a 3 step speed control and mentioned to use an ESC instead.

Originally Posted by hprt
I managed to put up a temporary workspace at one end of my basement while I build out the bedroom, office and hobby room spaces at the other end:
Nice, hprt! Congrats on your new setup and home.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 PM
  #26828  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
hprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Oh I see. After looking at your picture I've been itching to use my 3 step mechanical speed controller. nostalgia reasons for me too. When I put together my M01 last year (I bought it NIB), I was surprised it did not come with a 3 step speed control and mentioned to use an ESC instead.



Nice, hprt! Congrats on your new setup and home.
Thanks Sak. That is about 1/5th of the collection - I had spare shelves from my rental property that the new renters wanted out, so I put them in the basement to get some of the cars out of boxes. There is another wall of RC parts and half of my NIB kits. the rest are still in storage boxes...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_1252.jpg  
hprt is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM
  #26829  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 116
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Holy Cow. speachless


Originally Posted by hprt
Thanks Sak. That is about 1/5th of the collection - I had spare shelves from my rental property that the new renters wanted out, so I put them in the basement to get some of the cars out of boxes. There is another wall of RC parts and half of my NIB kits. the rest are still in storage boxes...
Rozzy is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM
  #26830  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
BoneCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,254
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hprt
Listen to Ivan; Talk to Robbie - he was really fast last weekend at the WCICS race, and would be a good source for setups for the tracks in your area.

I struggled with the track layout last weekend - as a result I was using brakes and driving less optimal lines and it showed in my lap times. The key to mini is carrying corner speed - setting the car up to turn well without having to use the brakes to transfer weight, and driving the correct lines to maintain corner speed.
Yah, something was wrong in the finals when I'm only 0.1 seconds fast lap slower than you on an almost 13 second lap track.....but you won, that's the main thing. I think I'm getting better timing my brakes into each corner and i think it was about 6 or 7 corners per lap i needed to do this. Super hard to do consistently over a 5 minute race especially when I'm running 6 other classes of varying speeds. But the friction damper mini experiment this season is super fun nonetheless!

Ivan
BoneCrusher is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 PM
  #26831  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
BoneCrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 2,254
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

There's a few other guys in our club like HPRT with a collection like that. I wish I started collecting when I was younger but my parents wouldn't even get me a Tyco RC buggy!

Ivan
BoneCrusher is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 PM
  #26832  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 6,314
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hprt
Thanks Sak. That is about 1/5th of the collection - I had spare shelves from my rental property that the new renters wanted out, so I put them in the basement to get some of the cars out of boxes. There is another wall of RC parts and half of my NIB kits. the rest are still in storage boxes...
You're better stocked than my LHS
gigaplex is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 PM
  #26833  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey Silver
Is this a common practice at carcar? I have chatted with a few guys about this. Ok for club racing but not legal for WCICS so we just run the tires without.

Tim
You may want to ask Korgae about this. The rules call for Tamiya tires and inserts, but there's not anything about tire preparation. It doesn't qualify as double stuffing and the only real effect it has is preventing the tires from ballooning at top speed. In that case, one could argue that it presents a disadvantage. Think of it in the same way as you would pregluing the foam inserts into doughnut shapes before installing them. It's just preparation.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 PM
  #26834  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You're better stocked than my LHS
Seriously, hprt can start a store!!
sakadachi is offline  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:52 AM
  #26835  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
hprt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Yah, something was wrong in the finals when I'm only 0.1 seconds fast lap slower than you on an almost 13 second lap track.....but you won, that's the main thing. I think I'm getting better timing my brakes into each corner and i think it was about 6 or 7 corners per lap i needed to do this. Super hard to do consistently over a 5 minute race especially when I'm running 6 other classes of varying speeds. But the friction damper mini experiment this season is super fun nonetheless!

Ivan
Well, in the main, I was out front and driving easy after the first handful of laps. Didn't have to put the pressure on until the last couple of laps when Robbie caught me, but then I was driving defensive which is not fast... My fast laps in the main were a few tenths off what I was doing in qualifying.

Anyways, it is nice to see some other fast cars in the mini class.

anyone going to Kamloops for Round 7?
hprt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.